Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2020, 02:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Yanmar VDO Hour Meter Display Repair

Hi,

Has anyone had success in attempting repair of a VDO hour meter using this method?
Just curious before I have a go at mine.
Thank you in advance.

Old 26-03-2020, 03:47   #2

Re: Yanmar VDO Hour Meter Display Repair

I have heard elsewhere that the silicon cover over the LCD terminals is an issue and that this type of repair works, if you can get at the rear of the gauge to remove it without damaging anything else. I did not wish to try this and instead installed an analogue hour meter running off an engine ignition hot wire. You can run the analogue meter on a 12V circuit full time until it catches up on the hours and then install it if you want it to match the digital display.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 04:52   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

My buddy repaired his a week ago. Bought the display on eBay from a business in New Jersey. Works perfectly.
His was on a Volvo but that doesn’t matter. The VDO gage is identical.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 06:51   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Thank you both. I’ll eventually have a try (coronavirus stay-home rules permitting) and report results.
Old 26-03-2020, 09:38   #5

Hi,
had the same issue and fixed it with arduino and OLED display. Can exchange OLED for regular LCD since in sun light the OLED is not bright enough. Works like a charm for 2 years now.
Here is the howto: https://mtech.dk/thomsen/Husky/repairs/vdo.php
k.zaimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:17   #6

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Tried the silicone removal technique per the video to no avail. Next step for me is attempting to replace the lcd.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:54   #7

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Mine displays intermittently albeit correct numbers when it does. Wiring a gauge to the ignition was a relatively cheap and effective workaround. And it's much easier to read in sunlight than the original. I recorded the hours in my mechanical log when it was installed and occasionally compare when the original display is working.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:54   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423

I'm in the middle of a rebuild right now. None of the scraping and so forth worked for me. I ordered a replacement LCD from www.akspeedo.com that comes with the ribbon cable installed for 25GBP including postage. The part arrived in about a week from UK to Boston. It worked as described. I did need to supply my own double sided tape to reapply the LCD display.

My only problem is that somehow I managed to blow out both dash lamps which I really don't understand. I have a 12V power supply so definitely didn't provide too much power. I haven't been able to track down replacement incandescent bulbs (T5 wedge, 1.2W). I found some LED versions here (https://www.superbrightleds.com part:194-R-120: Red 120 Degree). I am worried they will be too bright. They just arrived Monday but I've been preoccupied. LEDs are all I can find new. There may be a busted VDO gauge on EBAY to get parts from if the LEDs are too bright. I hope to finish installing them and doing a bench test.

harry
s/v Juno
https://juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 11:00   #9

Boat: South Coast 36

The LED ones are better than the old ones they replaced. I much prefer them.
aualby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 11:16   #10

Yes, did the repair with the akaspeed kit.
Took me 15 minutes and works like a charm.

I bought new bulbs at the car hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76B14E74-F47A-4005-98A9-AE43A01F3AEB.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	211328  
klaaskootsra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 11:32   #11

I had the same problem with my Volvo Penta tachometer/hour meter. It became intermittent then stopped working completely. There are a number of YouTube videos that show you how to do the repair. I used this one . There are many sources on eBay for the LCD. I used this because they ship from Los Angeles rather than China https://www.ebay.com/itm/263725596054. Price was $34. I did this a week ago, gauge and hour meter now work perfectly
nickorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 13:01   #12

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

My yanmar gauge has some kind of sealant all over the ribbon cable and connectors.. it's hard like an epoxy, there's no way that I can see to disassemble it.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 13:20   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO35

I have a Yanmar 3YM30 that had no display on my Jeanneau SO 35 when I purchased last year. I tried the scraping and cleaning method with no luck then bought the akspeedo display and installed very easy so now everything works fine. More important the hour display is accurate from beginning.
jbrooksbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 14:57   #14

Boat: Fusion 40

The scraping method is not the solution. the problem is the attachment of the ribbon cable to the display. You can buy a new ribbon cable from a bloke in UK but it is just as easy and economic to replace the lcd display complete. As the accumulated hours live inside the instrument, when you replace the display it will show an up to date accumulation of running hours.

These lcd displays have always been available but were very expensive. They have now been improved with a more robust ribbon connection and are quite affordable. If you have trouble finding one let me know as I have a couple spare.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 15:02   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO35

The guy in the uk sells the ribbon or the display with a new ribbon. I paid around 16 pounds for the display and ribbon plus shipping. All in it was around $30. Heck of a deal!
jbrooksbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar