Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2009, 21:47   #1

Yanmar Problems

I have a Yanmar deisel 2GM in a 1985 30 foot S2 That my father bought brand new. Pop got me started pleasure sailing at 14 and now im 45 and still love it. YEAH POP !! Anyway the boat got a little neglected for reasons I dont have tie to go into but needless to say we are having problems in our current restore. If we never get the boat running I at least have gotten to spend time with one of the worlds great men (my dad) working on it. Now the problem: Fuel problems have followed this motor since new. Recently while trying to start it the motor would not pump fuel. I added an electric fuel pump but still fuel would not move past the fuel pump. I removed the pump and the slider in it would not move. I know this is spring activated unless sing the throttle or kill cable so I tried to loosen it up by spraying various lubricants (wd-40 and the like) and soaking it and tapping it with a hammer. I got no response so I dissasembled the block. now I am finding that the manual says there are no servicable parts and I need a new pump. does anyone no anyone that sevices these pumps, where I can get a used one or last choice where I can find a new one. I dont want to invest a lot of money in this motor till I know it runs as I am not sure if the motor has other major problems other than this and I cant find anyone to rebuild it. Another option may be a used 2gm?
Ric63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 08:53   #2

Boat: islandpacket
There is a 2gm pump listed on ebay now. I would get a small plastic fuel tank and use that as a temporary. Fill with fresh new fuel and run the feed and return lines to the new tank. Depress the decompression levers and bleed your entire system to the injectors. That will also pre lube the engine before it starts. Your fuel pump will not push fuel through the high pressure pump. You will have to crank the engine to get fuel to your injectors.
Old 22-10-2009, 10:01   #3

Boat: Cascade
Do you have a shop manual?
Old 22-10-2009, 10:12   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
sounds like the yanmar fuel lift pump may need replacing .. I did this recently and its easy to do. you can buy one from a yanmar parts dealer. don't give up on your 2GM yet.
Old 23-10-2009, 05:16   #5

Boat: 1986 Irwin 38 CC MKII... Free Wind
Send a message via AIM to ScottyIrwin
suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Diesels are very simple engines. If all you need is a pump, I would not replace the engine. Make sure you have clean air going into the engine, clean, dry (no water) fuel with no air in it, and good compression. If all thats good you should be all set. 99.9% of problems with diesel engines are fuel related (water contamination, particle contaminiation, air, or just plain fuel exhaustion!) Replace filters often and you will be fine!
ScottyIrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:47   #6

Boat: islandpacket
Make sure your battery is fully charged. If it is low you will get slow cranking and may not reach speed for propper compression.

Let us know what happens. Thanks

Tags
2gm20, fuel pump, yanmar