I ordered a Balmar
Series 60 100A alternator
kit for my 4JH4E. I went for the V belt version thinking that I could modify my Yanmar/Hitachi as a backup. The problem I am running into is that the Balmar
doesn't fit with the standard Yanmar
V belt. Balmar support is scratching their heads because so many of these have been installed successfully. I may just bite the bullet and buy the serpentine upgrade, which I realize now is the way I should have gone. At least others that have installed Balmars used them successfully. However time is a bit tight and I'd like to get the current
setup to work
Using the standard Yanmar
V belt I ran into two problems. First the alternator
compresses the freshwater hose that runs next to it. The original alternator was always close. The original is 4.6" in diameter and the Balmar is 5.35". Enough to cause a problem. The second problem is that the dog leg of the Yanmar tension arm runs into the mounting tab on the top of the alternator. One friend with the same engine
simply cut the part of the mounting tab off and moved the cooling
hose. That will work
but Balmar has never heard of such drastic measures being needed so I hope I am missing something.
Second thought I had was to try one belt size up. Autozone cross referenced the Yanmar / Mitusbishi part to a 44" V belt, and so gave me a 45" V belt. I took a 46 and 47 as well but those weren't needed. Things looked great except now the belt is very close to the seawater pump
with only about 1/8" clearance. Things ran okay but after 20 minutes or so there was a lot of belt dust, especially near the seawater pump
. My guess is that the vibration of the belt was enough to rub against the pump, slowly scraping bits off. It is possible that the Autozone belt was just too low quality. I am trying to source a Gates or Drayco to test too.
Last thought is that the original belt isn't really 44" but 43, or maybe a metric version. Maybe a 44.5" belt exists to purchase
In the attached photos, one shows a mounting hole indicated by a yellow arrow. I suspect repositioning the tensioner arm to this will help if not solve the problem dog leg of the tensioner hitting the alternator. This won't fix the problem of the coolant
hose being compressed. My friend repositioned the hose on the bracket with the red arrow to get some more space.
I am hoping someone here has encountered this situation with the V belt before and can offer a solution, or confirm that in addition to fixing belt dust, the serpentine kit is the only way to solve the space problems.