Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 03:50   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Yamaha EF2400iS & Freedom 20 inverter/charger

I posted a question a couple of weeks ago about using a Generac 2000 with my Freedom 20 inverter/charger. Instead, I found an Yamaha EF2400iS generator(to replace my old Honda EF3000C).
The first thing I found was a huge increase in the amount of Amps that the Freedom put out. Under the Honda, I was lucky to get 50-55 amps on startup and it quickly decreased as the load lessened. With the Yamaha, the Freedom starts out with 80+ amps and slowly drops to the mid 70's for quite some time. The Yamaha is making the charger/inverter really work much harder than the Honda ever thought of. I'm getting my batteries recharged in about 2/3s the time the honda took.
Now here's the question. After about 10-15 minutes of running, the generator starts having a surging sound while running. It's not constant but comes and goes. Most of the time, it runs smoothly. Is the Yamaha burning out the charger/inverter by making it works so much harder than the Honda ever did? I love the new Yamaha but fear it costing me a bunch more money to replace the charger/inverter.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 10:20   #2
Zil

Re: Yamaha EF2400iS & Freedom 20 inverter/charger

as long as the volts in at your inverter are within specs, you will have no trouble. More amps means higher volts or lower resistance.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote