Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 05:25   #31

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Yacht Instrument wiring

Wotname

Your suggestions are inspired for a number of reasons!

I want to take wires from the Chart Table to the Instrument binnacle. (See photo) There are cables behind the headlining already but you can barely see them.

Light weight wire will suit me fine as it will be less obtrusive and of course it will be well supported by the head-lining. (Also I have just had a looked at RS Components and there are any amount of different ribbon type cabling (one with "twisted pairs" for example)

I like the idea of "D sub connectors" - one in the Instrument Binnacle and one behind the Switch Panel.

As far as the replacement loom is concerned if I laid a "flat flexible plastic cable conduit" (my terminology) behind the headliner it wouldn't be noticeable and I could very easily remove and insert cable looms.

I just googled "Electronic backshell" and have come to the conclusion a "D sub connector" is an "electronic backshell" and that could be easily sealed against moisture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Instrument wiring.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	195808  
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:28   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yacht Instrument wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

I just googled "Electronic backshell" and have come to the conclusion a "D sub connector" is an "electronic backshell" and that could be easily sealed against moisture.
There are a zillion backshells and several different locking / latching mechanisms; you will find something you like!

EG RS components like 1015 different ones. see https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/conne...or-backshells/

Likewise with the Dsub connectors, a variety of types and quality - solder and crimp.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wiring, yacht