Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2011, 03:40   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Xantrex LinkPro Questions - DOA or User Error?

Howdy,

I've just installed my brand new shiny Xantrex LinkPro and quite simply, it doesn't do anything.

...having said that I wired it almost exactly per the diagram in the install guide...

By way of explanation - everything is exactly per the diagram - except the + and -, which are described as being the "positive supply voltage" and "negative supply voltage" respectively. With these descriptions, I think of these as "power supply" - and wired them into my "instrumentation" circuit.

I have checked that I have 12VDC and GND at these terminals at the back of the LinkPro, but have absolutely nothing on the screen.

Is there some magic to wiring the + to directly to the battery and the - to the load side of the shunt? I understand that they might be used as references internally, but surely it would result in an incorrect reading as opposed to absolutely nothing right?

Thank you in advance and looking forward to any light shed in this direction...

//AK.
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 08:17   #2

Re: Xantrex LinkPro Questions - DOA or User Error?

Check the wiring at the shunt. Make sure the power is "on" for your instruments.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 16:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Check the wiring at the shunt. Make sure the power is "on" for your instruments.
Yep, check.

As a side note, when I remove all other wires except for + and -, I still have nothing on-screen. Surely it should power up right?
Old 25-06-2011, 16:19   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Sure sounds DOA to me.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 16:40   #5

Remove the remote connections and power it directly. The + and - power the unit the others +'s monitor. Get power to the unit first. One circuit at a time.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 16:42   #6

You have cited the mistake yourself. You don't connect these to positive, they work through a shunt connected to the negative. May sound strange, but that is how these more sophisticated charges like the xantrex and the nasa units work. Try it.
rgds
Blue Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 16:45   #7

I just installed this same device. Mine is replacing an EMON II unit that got damaged during a house bank replacement. My installation worked without any hitches.

Just to double check things:
1. The shunt is installed between the negative side of the battery and the boat's ground.
2. The signal connections to the shunt are done with the negative toward the boat's ground, and the positive toward the battery negative.
3. The battery voltage sense line connects to the battery positive terminal with a fuse close to the battery.
4. The system power can come from your DC panel, but must be separate from the battery sense line.

The connections at the instrument are not very robust. Check for secure contact without over torquing them.

If all this fails, it sounds like DOA to me too. I like how mine performs. I hope it works for you too.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 03:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I just installed this same device. Mine is replacing an EMON II unit that got damaged during a house bank replacement. My installation worked without any hitches.

Just to double check things:
1. The shunt is installed between the negative side of the battery and the boat's ground.
2. The signal connections to the shunt are done with the negative toward the boat's ground, and the positive toward the battery negative.
3. The battery voltage sense line connects to the battery positive terminal with a fuse close to the battery.
4. The system power can come from your DC panel, but must be separate from the battery sense line.

The connections at the instrument are not very robust. Check for secure contact without over torquing them.

If all this fails, it sounds like DOA to me too. I like how mine performs. I hope it works for you too.
Thanks to all who replied, greatly appreciated.

I disconnected everything, then went through all of these things and finally got it working. It looks like the polarity was incorrect further upstream - so what looked like +/- at the instrument, wasn't. :\ I obviously didn't notice the "-" on the multimeter as well when I double checked!