Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 17:25   #46

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Xantrex Link Pro

I had a similar problem with my AUX battery not charging. It turned out the installer had put an in-line fuse in a place nobody would ever think to look for it - And it was way too small for the purpose. We only found it when following the wire from the echo charger terminals inch by inch and discovered an automobile type fuse hidden under the quarter berth. A quick trip to the hardware store and a cheap fuse and Voila! It has worked ever since.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 18:03   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I wrote the piece below a while ago and many folks claim it has really helped them understand the wiring of a battery monitor. Disregard that this is a Victron monitor the shunt wiring is the same concept for all of them.

Wiring A Battery Monitor (LINK)

I trouble shoot a lot of DIY and sometimes "professionally" installed battery monitors and while they are quite simple many folks royally mess it up. It's about 50/50 shunt wiring or programming..

Had a guy four weeks ago using reserve capacity as his Ah's... Could not figure out why he could barely start his motor at 50% state of charge. He had 370 Ah plugged into the monitor for a bank of batteries that was really only about 210 Ah's.....
Old 17-07-2011, 18:29   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Looks like you could use a couple of bus bars, one for the +12 and one for the neg. All gnd. (-12) should go to one bus bar, from there to the shunt and then connect to the batteries. Same for the +12. Ideally there should be one cable connected to the +12 and one to the -12, except where you daisy chain them together. You probably want a fuse in the +12 side between the battery and the +12 bus.

Oops, didn't see MainSail's post which clarifies what I just said.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 16:51   #49

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I wrote the piece below a while ago and many folks claim it has really helped them understand the wiring of a battery monitor. Disregard that this is a Victron monitor the shunt wiring is the same concept for all of them.

Wiring A Battery Monitor (LINK)

I trouble shoot a lot of DIY and sometimes "professionally" installed battery monitors and while they are quite simple many folks royally mess it up. It's about 50/50 shunt wiring or programming..

Had a guy four weeks ago using reserve capacity as his Ah's... Could not figure out why he could barely start his motor at 50% state of charge. He had 370 Ah plugged into the monitor for a bank of batteries that was really only about 210 Ah's.....
Very nice
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 14:54   #50

If you finally have it working, and I know we all hope you do, you may be interested in this:

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 15:29   #51

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson
If you finally have it working, and I know we all hope you do, you may be interested in this:

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!
I did meet with the yard owner, and the guy who physically did the install. The owner obviously doesn't know anything about electronics - instead he relies on his employees.

I showed him the diagram of how they had it wired - and had a list of corrections that needed to be made.

The employee had egg on his face - he knew he was wrong. He started babbling some stuff that the inverter had to be hooked directly to the batteries on the negative side. I said "really - I doubt the presence of an inverter would make it impossible to ever have a battery monitor installed".

So they are going to need to do some extensive rewiring. I have to bring the boat back at the end of August for a 90 day check up - they are going to fix it then (it's current home is about 6 hours away from the yard).

So thanks again to everyone that helped!
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 09:25   #52

I know this post was a while ago but did you ever figure out the problems with your Link Pro? I am planning on installing one soon thanks nigel
nigellongland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 17:54   #53

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellongland
I know this post was a while ago but did you ever figure out the problems with your Link Pro? I am planning on installing one soon thanks nigel
Yes

Everyones comments were spot on

No negative connections to the house batteries other than the shunt

Follow the wiring guide with the Monitor and you will be fine
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote