Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 05:15   #1

Xantrex Freedom 30 problems

I have a new Freedom 30 inverter/charger (200hrs use) that has started to charge intermittently when the charger is in the "accept" phase. It will keep current going for 20-30 seconds and then just stop working for 20-30 seconds. Then it will kick in again. The power is being supplied by an NL 9kw genset. The unit is also being run by a new Link 1000 controller. I've made sure all the Link 1000 parameters are set according to the manual (power sharing, battery type, temp. sensor, etc) so I'm not sure what's up. I haven't checked all the connectors (ac/dc, Link 1000 control cables) yet but I'd like to hear from anyone who might have had a similar experience. Thanks.
north stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 21:56   #2

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Hope this helps

The Xantrex is great kit. Ours has given over 5 years of very trouble free service now, ( well I don't call getting caught in a fire caused by faulty BEP switches its fault) even then Xantrex was right there to help us get it back in order again quick as can be. I do not know the Link 1000, we have the 2000R but they should be close enough to make some guesses.

1. Make sure you really do have a good ground from the chasis to your ships ground like it says in the book. Do not trust the third ground wire in your AC system. It must be a seperate heavy cable for this.

2. Make sure your battery connections are good and solid and above all make sure the switch between the battery and the inverter is a good one more than strong enough to handle the real loads. If you have a BEP battery switch just trash it out of hand and get a real battery switch. Trust me I know from 40,000 USD in damages and two sets of those switches failing what I am talking about here and if you don't trust me then how about the insurance companies surveyor! If the battery switch ( the one that cuts power from the batteries to the unit is faulty it will go wonkie when it gets hot and either cut out or "chatter" causing major power spikes through the system.

3. Make sure the on off switch on the inverter itself is OFF and no on by accident. That happened to me once ( bless Thai carpenters) and took me days to discover.

Hope that helps if not do contact Xantrex my experience has been they are 100% ready to help out any way they can.

Happy sailing.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 22:11   #3

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
final tips

Sorry almost forgot.... you can also reset the micro processor. That seems to cure a world of little problems. I forget exactly how that goes but it is in your manual or on their web site also and was straight forward enough. I know several people who have cured mystery glitches that way. If that does cure the problem and it happens again be very sure to carefully check your wiring as one of the main problems that scrambles that little chip is intermitent connections like turning the power on and off a lot in a short period without disconnecting the ribbon cable from the controler.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 06:16   #4

Thank you Vega for you reply. We just got into Margarita after a trip from hell form Curacao so I'm sorry about the late reply.

In the next day or so I will go through the steps you recommend and check things out. First sleep.

Thank you again,
Sincerely,
Richard
s/v North Stand
Old 26-11-2008, 10:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It's not a charger problem. It is the change over point fron bulk to absorbtion charge. The batt bank voltage fluctuates as the bulk charge comes off. This can be due to battery temperature changing and the voltage settling after the high current period. My freedon 25 does the same thing.
Do you carry out an equalization charge every now now and then? That may help "level out" the cells and reduce the problem. I haven't tried it myself, must do so.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 08:57   #6

Thanks for the info. You're right. I checked all connections and everything is solid. It is the change over point. The batteries are 1 month old T-105 (12 of them) so I haven't had a chance to equalize them yet. I'll wait a month or so until I get to a marina in Trinidad to do so. Again, thanks for the tip.