Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2021, 15:52   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Xantrex 15 not working

Have a freedom marine 15 installed

Itís a 2006 model with the link 1000 remote panel. Bought the boat in August. Itís been on the hard up until a couple weeks ago. Charger was working fine new batteries as well when I bought the boat. 4 6v wires into two 12v banks

Boat was on the water one week fine no problems.

Leave the boat. Plugged into shore power charger status is ďfloatĒ

Return to the boat today. It not showing anything except current batter voltage. Shire power panel showing good volts. Iím able run a shop vac space heater and hot water heater pulling 20amps no problem. Which leads me to believe my shore power is fine.

The link display is not indicating any a/c in nor are any lights on the charger unit lighting up. The 20 amp breaker is not tripped I have 120vac at the at the board on the unit. The glass fuse is good as is the blade fuse. I cannot get any voltage across the terminals at the units circuit breaker

Bad circuit breaker. Bad unit. That happened to kiss the donkey a week after the boat touches water for the first time since 2012?

Any pearls of wisdom? Or other directions to check on

Thanks
Marc
marcjsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:53   #2

Re: Xantrex 15 not working

46 looks, no ideas????

I planon called xantrex today fingers crossed.

a secondary question. 1500w inverter...doe a really need one? what good would it be. maybe enough to juice to power a few small devices with out having to fire up the genset.

IE since I'm just weekend cruising. if I have to replace the unit, any reason to not just replace with a charger only?
Old 12-04-2021, 04:40   #3
Master Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 45 & Irwin 33 MkII

Sorry you are having trouble and caught off guard by this situation. I have been servicing Xantrex units almost as long as they have been out there. What you are describing is a COMMON failure of these units. Be it the age it is, it will be difficult if not impossible to repair unless you are GOOD at electronics repair yourself. If you were here in Puerto Rico where I could get my hands on it, based on the USUAL failure of these units (or that production era), I'd more than likely be telling you in person "it would be better, more cost effective, and prudent for the well being of your travels to make an upgrade at this time and forget about attempting to repair this unit". The next bit of advice would be "stay away from Xantrex". Based on HOW MANY of these that fail the way you described, after "I" had been the one who originally recommended a client buy one (before the decline of their manufacturing, and making ME look bad having made such a recommendation), IN MY OPINION, they are far from unit of choice any more, and I no longer recommend them, and rarely will even look at one. If you want to know where this info comes from, check this link: Master Tech Services VQS - "Your Alternate Power Company." ... Your friendly "Boat Doctor" online.
BOATDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:02   #4
Master Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your second question... NO you do not need a 1500 watt inverter. Most of the time in my travels I never used the larger inverter. I used my 400 watt inverter. You will find that is a good size for MOST items on a yacht, except the power hungry microwave oven, if you happen to have one of those.

Most boats do not have a coffee maker unless we're talking cats of 44 feet and larger. Then they also have gensets you are exercising probably more than you want to anyway. Figure out you largest power consuming item, or items you may want to run at the same time.

Target you inverter size for 50 to 100 watts RUNNING, above that number. Say you find you have a 540 watt item, and all else is less power consuming, then a 600 (with a 1200 peak for starting current) would be a good target, but you may find it easier to get a 750 watt. Most inverters come in "popular sizes" these days, so you'll more than likely find it easier to just get whatever one is above what you need minimum and be done with it.

CHARGERS are another issue. If you downgrade the size of an inverter, if it happens to be an Inverter/Charger combo, that is NOT a good thing for your bank. It will take much longer to charge up the batteries going smaller on the charger size, nor are there many of those in smaller inverter groups anyway.

But then again, there is no reason you cannot separate the tasks into individual devices, which is what we did in the old days. The chargers were around long before inverters were popular on boats, and everything we used on a boat was DC, which is still your best bet efficiency wise, if you can get DC based equipment and limit you AC powered stuff as much as possible.

I have had TOO MANY clients with Xantrex units whose battery charger failed, but the inverter still worked (manually firing it up) add a battery charger and ran that way even after the inverter chucked its cookies. There is a good reason boat manufacturers were installing Dolphin chargers and separate inverters in Catamarans from the factory.
Old 13-04-2021, 04:25   #5

got to speak with zantrex. their customer service was useful in that they did give me the phone number of a c good service center. called them and walked through a few things. which Ive done. he thinks its likely on the of boards. the hour long drive to the service center plus the 100 diagnostic charge, plus the charge for a new board If they can find one, puts me squarely in the price range of a new charger.

one thing i did not do, that they recommendations to completely unplug the unit for several hours and then reinstall. When I left the boat on sunday it was removed from power ac and dc. maybe a truly cold restart will wake it up. if it does, great, but all it means is I've bought my self some time.

you are a fan of dolphin chargers?
Old 13-04-2021, 15:17   #6
Master Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, not really a fan of them. They are French and a bit too finicky and limited in my opinion. I was just giving the example that the boat manufacturers use separate inverters and chargers. Not an "all in one" unit, as the back and forth the transformer does is a lot of internal switching prone for failure. There are not two transformers in an all-in-one. Just the one transformer going in two different directions depending on what you want to do. Of course there is less weight having one unit, but in a marine environment, "less switching" is more favorable to less weight. We're not talking about an airplane, where every pound counts.

Tags
work