Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 14:51   #181
cruiser

Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
What was the current draw? That’s where smaller inverters and/or battery banks may have trouble; not the 19.5Ah consumed.
We use a 2500w inverter, but the appliances were never on the high settings. The cooktop was set at 380 degrees F temp.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 15:09   #182

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yes, but what was the current draw, and the voltage drop?

Also, you have a 24v system, which alters the numbers significantly compared to most 12v boats.

I'm not knocking induction, as you see from my other posts I fully support it. But just trying to clarify your data along with fxykty.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 17:02   #183
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Yes, but what was the current draw, and the voltage drop?

Also, you have a 24v system, which alters the numbers significantly compared to most 12v boats.

I'm not knocking induction, as you see from my other posts I fully support it. But just trying to clarify your data along with fxykty.
I recon his cooktop was using 1,000W. You can do the math for any voltage you like. At maximum output these cooktops do 1,800W so for 12V think amperage varies 80-150A. Voltage drop depends on more than amperage: type of batteries, capacity, cabling, terminal crimps etc.

Any house bank on a cruising boat should work on these cooktops
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 17:56   #184

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thank you, Very helpful! I sent an email lets to see Availability and if they reply. I will order one if they are still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
It was from http://www.tomlogisch.com/ in Germany and I believe that the cordless kettle base is fixed to the top.

Technical data:
Inverter: 12 or 24 V to 230 V, sine AC voltage, 3.0 kW continuous power, 5.0 kW peak power
Convection oven: 1.3 kW
Grill: 1.2 kW
Microwave: 0.8 kW Microwave power at max. 1.2 kW power consumption
Hob: 2.0 kW
Kettle: 1.6 kW, stainless steel jug

Here's the old webpage for it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20151014...com/e-cooking/
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:42   #185

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sienasun View Post
When you replace the stove top with electrical do you remove the gas oven as well?
Yes, we replaced both the 3 gas burner small eno hob by a 4 induction burner vario surface home kittchen induction hob, the small eno gas baking oven by a larger compact convection oven (standard width and depth, only the height is 45cm instead of 60, standard kittchen gear). Got rid of the microwave (obsolete)

We use standard appliances on board, ice maker, kittchenaid mixer, vacuum bag sealer, espresso machine. If you once have a reliable 220V system, anything goes.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:47   #186

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Yes, we replaced both the 3 gas burner small eno hob by a 4 induction burner vario surface home kittchen induction hob, the small eno gas baking oven by a larger compact convection oven (standard width and depth, only the height is 45cm instead of 60, standard kittchen gear). Got rid of the microwave (obsolete)
But how do you cook your pappadums?

Open flame works, deep fry works, and microwave works.

But induction cooker, no way!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:51   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

I deep fry on the induction plate. It works great. The high heating efficiency and rapid response keeps the oil temperature more even when you drop cold food into the hot oil.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:50   #188

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I deep fry on the induction plate. It works great. The high heating efficiency and rapid response keeps the oil temperature more even when you drop cold food into the hot oil.
Understood, Stu.

Led Myne is a monohull with that dreadful tendency to heel and roll.

I quite like deep frying my pappadums when ashore (although using a vertical stacker in a microwave has much less clean-up).

I've not been brave enough to deep fry even at anchor (and puzzled how I'd dispose of used cooking oil).

What do you do with used cooking oil when away from port?

When aboard, I do the pappads over an open flame. That takes constant care and attention (whereas the microwave is hands off).
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post

If you can fry them in a pan, no problem. If you do a lot of fryed food in oil, you can use a commercial frying pan for french fries, onion rings, squid rings, whatever. Filter the oil back in the containers, best if they are metal, dispose the oil on land. Some run old diesel engines on used fry oil, I would not recommend that.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:05   #190
cruiser

We just finished a delightful dinner cooked entirely on electric appliances powered by 450w of solar.

Total power consumed to cook two helpings of zucchini, rice and pork shish kabobs: 18Ah out of a 450w 24v house bank.

Appliances used: rice cooker and Nuwave infrared oven.

No fossil fuels or gas was hunted down, purchased or hauled leading up to the preparation of this meal.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26   #191

We have Musaka today, done on induction cooktops and then in the oven, on solar and LFP batteries, also made 180l of water and hot water for washing the dishes after the dinner while beating to the wind and tacking into the strait of Messina, only under sails and using autopilot, radar, 2 chartplotter, all the electronics, electric winches and finally the windlass.

We like it. Batteries at 82% now.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33   #192

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We just finished a delightful dinner cooked entirely on electric appliances powered by 450w of solar.

Total power consumed to cook two helpings of zucchini, rice and pork shish kabobs: 18Ah out of a 450w 24v house bank.

Appliances used: rice cooker and Nuwave infrared oven.

No fossil fuels or gas was hunted down, purchased or hauled leading up to the preparation of this meal.
Ken, I'm getting slightly confused by the various units of measure. Just to clarify (without having to look up your previous posts on you configuration):

How much watts or Ah was used in total for this cooking?

How much came from solar, how much came from batteries?

I think your batteries are 450Ah at 24 volts, capacity? are they lead acid or lithium?
Old 03-08-2019, 11:03   #193
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Ken, I'm getting slightly confused by the various units of measure. Just to clarify (without having to look up your previous posts on you configuration):

How much watts or Ah was used in total for this cooking?

How much came from solar, how much came from batteries?

I think your batteries are 450Ah at 24 volts, capacity? are they lead acid or lithium?
Total power: 18Ah consumed at 24v to cook meal over a 25 minute period.

100% generated by solar during the day.

The meal was cooked at 7pm off the 450Ah 24v Trojan 8 year old, flooded lead acid house bank. Solar was only producing less than 1Ah at the time. The 2500w Mastervolt inverter was never anywhere near its limit during the meal preparation. Maybe at less than 50%... 1000w at times? But the appliances cycle, sometimes showing very little draw.
Old 03-08-2019, 13:18   #194

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Another induction hotplate convert here .

I am just piping up, as it is not an “all or nothing” thing. Our available power is almost exclusively solar generated all year round (panels 1005 W) and in summer I could easily do many hours of induction cooking per day.

Come winter though, none is possible and alternative cooking methods are needed. In our case this is via gas or the top of the Refleks diesel heater.

The other advantage of having more than one cooking system is that you have a backup if one system is out of action for whatever reason. Redundancies for vital systems are always sensible.

SWL

Our induction hotplate sits on top of the gimballed stovetop. No need to have this built in or take up valuable countertop space:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42F5274F-0778-4B89-B216-9A28750A7216.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	197145  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 16:57   #195

Boat: Lagoon 400

Not to hijack this tread. I am having trouble finding an electric convection oven with induction cooktop. The occasional photo but not for sale. Can somebody point me to a source. Thanks.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote