Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 20:35   #76

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
A generator is a pretty hefty piece of kit, and ideally you want it fairly central and low down in the boat if you can. Certainly not high up on the stern where many gas lockers are.

Well I would put the gen-set where the LPG bottles are so the gen-set would have to be a small portable, lightweight unit. The locker is below deck level. (But I agree with everything you say about weight distribution)

I just read this which excites me!

One of the great benefits of inverter generators is that they can produce current at any rpm; the engine does not have to operate at 3,600 rpm to produce 60 cycle current. The inverter electronically converts the current to 60 hertz 120 volt power. So, for instance, if you plugged in a 200-watt tool battery charger, the generator might only need to run a little faster than idle speed to produce the electricity needed; the engine rpm is adjusted to produce only the power needed by the power demand. This saves a significant amount of fuel, reduces noise, and significantly increases engine life.

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 21:40   #77

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thank you yours is helpful insight, re installing a non-marine inverter on a boat. The cost difference is 300 to 400 percent to a say a Victron inverter to a Non marine Chinese one.
I was very tempted to buy a non-marine unit as I have a Sterling charger 60 ah unit/ I don't need a combo inverter charger. Can you please reference or qualify your statement re-stray current non-marine inverted and marine inverter wiring/stray current issues on boats?
I'm than left wondering how the say adventure camper trucks fair where there is no AC power to be had exploring the wilds? Would they also not suffer stray current issues say for a 2500-watt Inverter? If so, how would they manage this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
In addition to running inductive loads a true sign wave inverter is WAY more efficient than a modified sign wave inverter (like 30% more). This alone is worth the price when you translate that into battery capacity needed.

Major issue with running a non marine inverter on a boat is stray current corrosion. If you wire a non marine inverter into your boat without modifications you will eat away all your underwater metals.

In a house and non marine invertors the neutral and ground are basically the same. In a boat you can only have one path to ground. If you meter a properly installed AC system on a boat you will not have continuity between the neutral and the ground (while shore power is unplugged). If you wire in a non marine inverter the inverter with internally connect you ac ground and neutral causing stray current issues through multiple ground paths. Marine inverters are not more expensive just because they say marine. They are constructed different.

Another consideration is most of this conversation assumes people will be increasing battery bank size to run all these cool electrical loads we need the inverters for. A marine inverter and a marine inverter charger are about the same price. So basically you buy a 2000 watt inverter and get a free 100 amp charger (our share the cost of 2 devices) to charge your growing battery bank or to take advantage of you newer batter technology and its ability to absorb high charge rates. You need at a minimum charge rate of 10% of your battery bank. So a 800 amp hour bank needs a minimum of 80 amps charging ability.

Just lots to consider. Lots of boats don't think of there energy system as a whole. You can't just increase battery back size, put in a larger inverter and so on without looking at the whole system. Don't forget wire sizes in the system also.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 21:48   #78

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Thank you yours is helpful insight, re installing a non-marine inverter on a boat. The cost difference is 300 to 400 percent to a say a Victron inverter to a Non marine Chinese one.
I was very tempted to buy a non-marine unit as I have a Sterling charger 60 ah unit/ I don't need a combo inverter charger. Can you please reference or qualify your statement re-stray current non-marine inverted and marine inverter wiring/stray current issues on boats?
I'm than left wondering how the say adventure camper trucks fair where there is no AC power to be had exploring the wilds? Would they also not suffer stray current issues say for a 2500-watt Inverter? If so, how would they manage this issue?

Land vehicles don't suffer significant stray current corrosion problems because they are not immersed in an electrolyte (seawater). If they were then they would have the same problem. Even RV's that suffer significant moisture exposure are unlikely to have the problem because the moisture is most likely fresh water.

That said I use a regular unit on my boat. At some point I will need to swap it out since I need PSW and more wattage so I can start using a induction stove and a microwave.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 22:06   #79

I think this is an excellent article (written by an expert) covering grounding of inverters and it doesn't single out Chinese or "non marine" inverters.

Grounding Inverter/Chargers on Boats

Introduction
When installing an inverter/charger on a boat, and the time comes to ground the chassis of the unit, there are several things to consider in order to meet standards, ensure safety and to prevent galvanic corrosion of the boat's submerged metal parts.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co....do?docId=1014
Old 20-07-2019, 00:17   #80

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Induction is great! Also great about it is that in the summer heat we bring it up in the cockpit, tie it to the table and cook there. A few other tricks to avoid heat/steam inside we use: tiny rice cooker, also outside, electric pressure cooker (pop it ouside to vent it and see how much moisture you saved). We have a beautiful butane force 10 stove we have only for emergencies.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 00:38   #81

Sojourner

I have an induction cook-top in the mail. I've ordered a 1.2L kettle (I figure i'll use that to make a cuppa). I'm thinking about a 2L(?) saucepan with lid and I suppose I need a frypan with lid?

Cheers
Old 20-07-2019, 00:47   #82

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Well I would put the gen-set where the LPG bottles are so the gen-set would have to be a small portable, lightweight unit. The locker is below deck level. (But I agree with everything you say about weight distribution)
Ah, if you’re talking about a portable petrol generator then obviously that will have to be outside the envelope of the cabins, so would be ok to store in the gas locker. I thought you meant a real one, which are very heavy.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 01:14   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Couple of issues you may need to consider. The Honda has an oil sensor in the sump to stop the genny if the oil runs low or the genny leans over. You will also need to consider the exhaust to avoid this tragedy

Linky

I used to move our Honda 20i around the boat so that the exhaust pointed away from the boat. The rubber feet mark the deck btw, so we used a rubber car mat under it which also helped silence it.

Finally, it will need fuel at some point. Pouring petrol into the genny in a sealed box will cause vapour to escape around the genny. That could end in a bad way very quickly.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 01:23   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Couple of issues you may need to consider. The Honda has an oil sensor in the sump to stop the genny if the oil runs low or the genny leans over. You will also need to consider the exhaust to avoid this tragedy

Linky

I used to move our Honda 20i around the boat so that the exhaust pointed away from the boat. The rubber feet mark the deck btw, so we used a rubber car mat under it which also helped silence it.

Finally, it will need fuel at some point. Pouring petrol into the genny in a sealed box will cause vapour to escape around the genny. That could end in a bad way very quickly.

Pete
plus 1
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 02:01   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Linky

Pete
If the yacht was leaning over too much I'd have to somehow correct the lean (or not run it). As far as the exhaust is concerned I planned to leave the locker lid open while running. No good? (of course it would be noisier)

I know I have to be careful with petrol anywhere on the yacht but the locker is not sealed: it is an LPG (propane) locker (with a drain). LPG is probably more dangerous than petrol!!

Petrol will also be stored in a locker with a drain overboard
Old 20-07-2019, 07:54   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Wow - Induction Cooktop

Little Honda will overheat if placed in a box. They need to be in open air.
A mat or suspending one from ropes will help reduce the sound transmitted to the deck, but I’ve not found it objectionable.
They idle around 3,000 RPM and run above 5,000 when working hard, but are I believe a very good answer to installing a built in generator, I have both and run the little Honda often as I usually just don’t need the power output of the bigger one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 07:58   #87

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A mat of suspending one from ropes will help reduce the sound transmitted to the deck, but I’ve not found it objectionable.
Power ventilate the enclosure.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 08:16   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Power ventilate the enclosure.

You have reinvented the little built in, at some point something small like a 3.5 Nexgen makes more sense
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2019, 15:57   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

I'm hoping my locker will be big enough to run the gen set without the hatch lid on.(My LPG locker easily houses X2 9kg gas bottles at the moment). But I accept your point.....
Old 20-07-2019, 16:13   #90

Boat: Valiant 42

How will it be cooled in a locker? How will it get fresh air to run? Where will the exhaust go?

This seems like a bad idea to run a generator in a locker designed for LPG. Please be sure you have a CO monitor on board and plenty of fire extinguishers.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote