Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2019, 06:33   #46

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Wow - Induction Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I like grilled cheese on toast to much to give up my gas grill.

Cheers

That is neither here nor there though. An induction hob no more replaces a grill than a yacht replaces a dinghy.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:23   #47

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Some other points probably worth noting (IMHO) on the benefits of induction.
1. The tops are sooooo easy to clean compared to a gas hob . We have a Miele induction flush mount and it fits flush into the corian top which is really nice as when it is not being used it acts as more counter space.

2. Induction dramatically reduces the ambient heat (big deal if in the low latitudes)
3. No issues of switching from Propane to Butane or vice versa and how it impacts the jets. or having to put up with the BS of different country fittings for bottles and or regulations of not filling our bottles
4. We do have a gas BBQ on the stern which is plumbed directly and not through the living quarters so we have eliminated the solaniod etc - Yes this might not avoid point #3 but we can do without the BBQ if we have too
5. We could do this as we have gone for a convection microwave.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:44   #48

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

In addition to running inductive loads a true sign wave inverter is WAY more efficient than a modified sign wave inverter (like 30% more). This alone is worth the price when you translate that into battery capacity needed.

Major issue with running a non marine inverter on a boat is stray current corrosion. If you wire a non marine inverter into your boat without modifications you will eat away all your underwater metals.

In a house and non marine invertors the neutral and ground are basically the same. In a boat you can only have one path to ground. If you meter a properly installed AC system on a boat you will not have continuity between the neutral and the ground (while shore power is unplugged). If you wire in a non marine inverter the inverter with internally connect you ac ground and neutral causing stray current issues through multiple ground paths. Marine inverters are not more expensive just because they say marine. They are constructed different.

Another consideration is most of this conversation assumes people will be increasing battery bank size to run all these cool electrical loads we need the inverters for. A marine inverter and a marine inverter charger are about the same price. So basically you buy a 2000 watt inverter and get a free 100 amp charger (our share the cost of 2 devices) to charge your growing battery bank or to take advantage of you newer batter technology and its ability to absorb high charge rates. You need at a minimum charge rate of 10% of your battery bank. So a 800 amp hour bank needs a minimum of 80 amps charging ability.

Just lots to consider. Lots of boats don't think of there energy system as a whole. You can't just increase battery back size, put in a larger inverter and so on without looking at the whole system. Don't forget wire sizes in the system also.
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 09:35   #49

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
4. We do have a gas BBQ on the stern which is plumbed directly and not through the living quarters so we have eliminated the solaniod etc - Yes this might not avoid point #3 but we can do without the BBQ if we have too
I am considering the Electric Weber Q1400 as a grill to eliminate the propane altogether. I too would not want to be without my grill

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-5202000...-1-spons&psc=1

I would be curious if anyone has tried this.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 10:03   #50

While using our 2500 watt inverter, We had to move our 1800 watt Nuwave to the house and put in a 1200 watt Nuwave Light version
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 10:09   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

I had a Secura 1800W induction plate but it stopped working after only a few months. Does anyone have any ones that they've been using that actually last?
Old 17-07-2019, 10:52   #52

Boat: Valiant 42

We have been using this one for about 5 years.

Big Boss 9147 1300-watt Induction Cooktop Compatible with Induction Cookware, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0FKQPA..._1a2lDbDQP00KW
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 13:28   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
We have been using this one for about 5 years.

Big Boss 9147 1300-watt Induction Cooktop Compatible with Induction Cookware, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0FKQPA..._1a2lDbDQP00KW
Thank you!
Old 17-07-2019, 13:46   #54

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We’ve been using induction cooktops for six years, the reaction from those newly introduced seems universal....WOW!

We use nearly all solar for power generation via a 2500w inverter. Here’s some figures from last night generated for another thread:

Cook three fried eggs medium setting for five minutes: 2Ah

One fried steak on high for 5 minutes: 4Ah (would have been the same for two steaks)

Off subject: Nespresso machine used for 1 cup of coffee: .4Ah
Kenomac, you have a 24 volt system, right, so that 4Ah at 5 mins = 48 amps=1200 watts. correct? (but of course it's only for 5 minutes, so 100Wh.

So, if you cook two meals a day (breakfast, 2 eggs, coffee toast) (dinner, steak, veggies, potatoes) for two people, how much power do you estimate that will take?

What about the wash-up afterwards?
Old 17-07-2019, 13:53   #55

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
We use the NuWave infrared ovens on each boat. The heat stays focused in a very small enclosed pod to ensure high efficiency.
and there are ovens like the Brava as well...

https://www.brava.com/
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 15:01   #56

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
A custom fitted cutting board sits on top of the gimballed stove, the Nuwave oven or induction cooktop sits on top of that. For the most part, our offshore passages are kept to a minimum and short, so generally we preprepare meals and freeze them to be thawed and eaten during the passage.
I can see that working fine in a marina and at anchor. I was wondering what people do with indiction cooking on passages, like a trans-Atlantic or Pacific.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 16:26   #57

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Did you REALLY have to post a multi megabyte 1000 x 9335 pixel image?

You're obviously not constrained by bandwdth or MB costs. Many forum members are.
Ha ha, me too! And, I'm on dry land in suburban Adelaide with only 0.9 Mbps. I feel like I am in training for living aboard when it comes to bandwidth.
Old 17-07-2019, 18:57   #58

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

An induction (or other electric) cooktop is definitely a good fit for any boat with a generator. Without one, I think it's a tougher decision (for fuel burning vs electric). My stove is electric, but not induction. I have no ability to run it on battery power, but I also have no real desire to.

I figure that running the generator for a bit to cook (also powers the microwave, no oven on board) is fine, as it lets the hot water tank re-heat, puts a bit of juice into the batteries, etc. And having to run the generator to cook away from a dock comes with another bonus: no worrying about heating up the cabin with cooking on a hot day, as if I've already got the generator running, might as well just flip the A/C on while I'm cooking and do it more comfortably.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 19:36   #59

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
An induction (or other electric) cooktop is definitely a good fit for any boat with a generator. Without one, I think it's a tougher decision (for fuel burning vs electric)...
I agree, particularly the bit about it being a tough decision. I do not have a generator and I would really like to keep it that way. But at the same time, I really want to get rid of the gas bottle if I can, or at the very least, as a previous poster suggested, keep it for the BBQ on the aft rail and avoid any of the gas fittings coming inside the boat.

The numbers are looking very close to workable for me. I have 760 watts of solar, a good wind generator and a boat with very low power consumption. Induction cooking SHOULD be possible... I think. Probably easier if I keep the BBQ on the stern and use it as an oven.
Old 17-07-2019, 19:44   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have 2 NuWave singles I use when it's too hot for the diesel stove. At full power (using a kill-a-watt to measure) about 1700 watts (but cycles once temp is reached). My common cooking setting 350°F, about 1000 watts and on low 100° 60 watts.
Cast iron cookware will always work, stainless if it has a thick plate on the bottom and is magnetic. Common stainless or aluminum can be used with a plate that goes between the induction top and pan. Search for "induction plate adapter" on Amazon. About $20. Work ok, but not as good as cast iron or a pan made for induction.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote