Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2023, 05:01   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Work-Around for Inverter Charger when batteries dead?

Apologies in advance if I state the obvious. Boatyards sometimes offer the option to remove batteries and store them in a controlled (?) environment indoors. You can always simply disconnect battery lugs at the source. Obviously this is just a ‘fix’ until you find the culprit draw(s)!
Fair winds.
Old 25-01-2023, 08:28   #17

How can you learn about this stuff?

Don't listen to anyone who says "...typically..."

Get and confirm the wiring diagram for YOUR boat. Follow each of the wires and learn their purpose. Get the manuals for all of your equipment.

Buy Calder's book.

Depending on how you like to learn, search out more books or use the internet (marinehowto.com is excellent for individual subjects).

Study hard, just like you were back in school.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 08:49   #18

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Sorry I have no experience with Fireflys. If your boat is on the hard I can't imagine a draw big enough to flatten out a what 400AH bank? Unless something got left on. It sounds like one of your cells is dead. But again I have no idea what happens if you completely discharge a carbon foam battery. I know on AGM or Flooded start batteries you can do it maybe twice on the AGM and maybe only once on flooded before you damage the plates and loose pretty much all capacity.

If you're on the hard do you even need the bilge pumps on? Disconnecting everything might be an option?

In addition to Calder's tome and the most excellent Marinehowto site learn how to build a proper diagnostic logic tree. Electrickery is pretty much go from Plus to Minus with something in between and don't let the smoke out of the wire.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:32   #19

I have been in exactly the same situation with a Magnum inverter/charger. All it took was a small amount of power from a car battery jump start device to kick the Magnum into action and then the shore power could take over to re-charge the house battery.
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:59   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzaar View Post
Good thought. I wondered if the start battery could be used. Would a basic start battery have enough oomph to raise a 400 amp battery bank up high enough to make the Magnum happy?
Yes, I’ve done exactly this. When the house bank went to 4v (don’t ask) one winter, both the Magnum inverter/charger and the BlueSky solar controller shut down. The Magnum does not connect the internal AC to the shore supply until it has confirmed the voltage is correct, to protect the internal equipment. Just a few moments of ‘bridging’ the start battery brought the house up to 9v when the charger started up and took over.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charger, inverter, work