Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2020, 16:12   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Wiring of separated house banks

Everyone talks about the "ideal" situation where house bank is physically located in the same space.

Sure it'd be great to locate all my batteries in one physical space, but unless I go to lifpo, I can't do that. Maybe in about 5 or so years when this bank dies, lithium will be a real price competitor, but until then, it will have to wait.

That being said, I'm having a hard time finding out how people are wiring a house bank that is located in two separate locations.

I know that cable lengths between the two banks should be "equal" lengths, along with the interconnects being equal lengths. I'm wiring up 4, potentially 5 firefly batteries, 2 in each location(or 3 in one, 2 in the other). The distributor i'm working with is giving me a good deal and due to work i've done with them in exchange for discounts.

That being said, heres a very basic schematic i was thinking of doing for my wiring. The unswitched bar will also have my MPPT controllers and my inverter/charger as well(connected via fuse & service disconnect).

Wire sizing:
Bar to ACR to Starter - 2/0
100amp Alternator to bar - 2/0
Inverter/Charger to Bar - 4/0
Bar to House Switch - 2/0
BOTH House bank to Bar - 4/0

My biggest question is regarding the alternator and how it will charge the two banks. The alternator is a Balmar 100amp externally regulated with mc-614. I have two battery temp sensors, one for each bank as well.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasted_Image_10_19_20__10_33_AM.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	225491  
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 00:01   #2

Re: Wiring of separated house banks

Those wires are Likly bigger then you need. But it depends on the length. But No harm is going bigger besides cost.

2awg to acr. 2awg to alt, 2/0 from each bank is probably plenty. But depends on length.

The alt needs a fuse at the bar

The alt will charge both via acr. It will be fine. Not sure what your question is.

If you have a battery monitor. Yiu also need to plan the grounds from each bank and the shunt.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 03:43   #3

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Wiring of separated house banks

Thanks. I think before doing the wiring, looking for confirmation that this is an okay approach and I shouldn't go a different route.

Battery to bus needs to be 4/0 per inverter/charger spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Those wires are Likly bigger then you need. But it depends on the length. But No harm is going bigger besides cost.

2awg to acr. 2awg to alt, 2/0 from each bank is probably plenty. But depends on length.

The alt needs a fuse at the bar

The alt will charge both via acr. It will be fine. Not sure what your question is.

If you have a battery monitor. Yiu also need to plan the grounds from each bank and the shunt.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring