Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 17:44   #1

Boat: C&C 121
Wiring Inverter

I plan on installing a small inverter (~1,000 - 1,500 watts). I would like to hard wire this directly to the main AC panel. I'm finding very few inverters in that size that offer a terminal connection - most seem to be GFI outlets.

Is it acceptable to connect to the main AC system with just a plug into the GFI outlet on the inverter? I can't imagine it is. Was assuming a terminal on the inverter to a breaker (as it will be less than the 30 amp shore), to a rotary source selector and then to the main AC panel. Obviously that won't work if there is no terminal on the inverter. Can you bypass the breaker and just rely on the GFI?

Thanks in advance

John
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 23:08   #2

Re: Wiring Inverter

most inverters with a plug have a floating ground to neutral. which A, makes them not ABYC compliant, and B, would probably blow up if connected into a boat system as the boat should have the N to G tied at the source (in this case inverter)

if the inverter does have a N-G tie. then I would just feed to a douple pole rotary switch using a cable pluged into the inverter. the inverter most likely already has an output breaker built in as well.

or instead of the rotary knob blue sea makes a dual double pole breaker transfer switch. then your shore main and inverter main would each have a breaker sized for it (buy correct breaker for inverter, probably 15a), and switch that instead of the rotary one.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/803...ource_Selector
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:10   #3

Boat: C&C 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
most inverters with a plug have a floating ground to neutral. which A, makes them not ABYC compliant, and B, would probably blow up if connected into a boat system as the boat should have the N to G tied at the source (in this case inverter)

if the inverter does have a N-G tie. then I would just feed to a douple pole rotary switch using a cable pluged into the inverter. the inverter most likely already has an output breaker built in as well.

or instead of the rotary knob blue sea makes a dual double pole breaker transfer switch. then your shore main and inverter main would each have a breaker sized for it (buy correct breaker for inverter, probably 15a), and switch that instead of the rotary one.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/803...ource_Selector
Thanks

So I guess the big question is how does one know if the inverter has a N-G tie? I'm not seeing that listed in any of the literature.

Alternately - If I went with something like a Xantrex Pro series which does allow for hard wiring, can I simply not connect the inverter-in wiring, thus by-passing the automatic switching function? Keep in mind the inverter out will still be running through a DP breaker (15 amp) as well as a DP rotary selector. In this case the inverter and shore power can never meet. Obviously this would also eliminate the need for input breakers.

John
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:56   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Is it acceptable to connect to the main AC system with just a plug into the GFI outlet on the inverter?........
Put on your thinking cap for a minute. If you connect a cable from the AC system to a "plug", you have just constructed what we call a "suicide cord". A cable and plug with live 120 volts AC on the exposed plug pins. DO NOT DO THIS!

It's impossible to describe in detail how to connect an inverter to your boat's electrical system on a web forum. The rest of your post indicates to me that you should probably not be attempting this yourself. My advice to you is, hire a pro.

I don't mean this as an insult, I'm trying to keep you safe.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Put on your thinking cap for a minute. If you connect a cable from the AC system to a "plug", you have just constructed what we call a "suicide cord". A cable and plug with live 120 volts AC on the exposed plug pins. DO NOT DO THIS!

It's impossible to describe in detail how to connect an inverter to your boat's electrical system on a web forum. The rest of your post indicates to me that you should probably not be attempting this yourself. My advice to you is, hire a pro.

I don't mean this as an insult, I'm trying to keep you safe.
Ron's right.

Much depends on which inverter you're buying. Some of the newer "standalone" units actually have ATS inside. If you don't know what an ATS is, then there are other issues with your abilities & knowledge.

If you tell us which inverter, specifically, you are thinking about, we may be able to help some more.

In addition, a 1,000 watt inverter, if tied to the ship's AC system with proper transfer switches to avoid having shorepower, other AC sources and the inverter ever connected at the same time, will most likely require management, since a standard water heater would exceed the inverter capacity.

It's the little things like that that can trick you.

Let us know, good luck, but luck should have nothing to do with it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:52   #6

Water heater etc will drain the batteries pronto. I have a couple of outlets wired with DPDT switches. Inverter has overload breaker. Used mostly for charging electronics. Makes sure you have a way of knowing that the inverter is working as it consumes some energy even when it's resting
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 18:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

an input wire from a rotary switch can not feed back to the plug... unless the switch had an "All" like a battery switch. which the AC ones do not.

is the dock end of your shore plug a sucicide plug from your inverter or gen?... because according to your theory it is.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring