Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2012, 04:42   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Wiring an Air Breeze Wind Gen

Purchased a new Air Breeze and will be wiring it this weekend. There are three wires from the generator, green, red, and black. Three questions:
First: The green goes to the ground, where do I attach this? An engine mount? Any other alternatives?
Second: I have a 12 Volt system. 4 house batteries (all 6V, 2 sets of 6 in series then these 2 in parallel) and 2 engine (12V) in parallel. Attach the red, to the positive terminal of one set of parallel batteries of the house, then the black to the negative terminal of the other set of house batteries in parallel?
Third: Will this set up charge the engine batteries also?
Thanks, dave
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:33   #2

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: Wiring an Air Breeze Wind Gen

From other sources I am told that this is correct. The green wire is OK to attach to an engine terminal, or a thru hull. A few boats here don't attach it at all. Most other wind gens only have the two wires, red and blk.

Interesting that with this electrical connection on the batteries, it was suggested to have a set of jumper cables on board. If the batteries are all left on and drained, it would take a very long time to charge both the house and engine. An option is to charge the house and use the jumper cables to start the engine, or disconntect the house and tie directly to the engine or use the cables.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Wiring an Air Breeze Wind Gen

I would connect the green wire to the 12 volt negative bus, which is connected to both the engine and the batteries negative post. In other words the same place as the black wire.

I would not use a through hull which may not be bonded.
mitiempo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring