Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 18:53   #1

Windlass motor troubleshooting

Hi All.

I would like to ask for your input in troubleshooting my older Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 windlass.

A few months ago, the windlass started to show symptoms of struggling during operation. The motor speed goes down, in either direction, and I can see on the battery meter that the amps being pulled goes higher during these moments of struggling.
Finally (as expected) she fully quit working.
I have dismantled the motor to find out that the armature wiring melted and burned.
I took it to a workshop to re-wire, and replaced the four carbon brushes as well.
She got back in action, working better than ever. After only 3-months of light operation, she started to show the same symptoms of struggling.
I, again, removed the motor, and my first observation was that at least one of the brushes was somehow not moving freely in it's housing (as if it's somehow sticky inside the brush housing - which I remember cleaning using a degreaser before putting in the new brushes).

Based on this final observation, I am guessing that one or more brushes stop moving freely, and this puts an extra load on the motor to turn. She starts to pull in more amps to rotate, gets too hot and damages the armature wiring.

Any remedies, or any other input would be highly appreciated!!

I am stuck

barunal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 20:42   #2

Re: Windlass motor troubleshooting

Guys, I would much appreciate if you could share your input to this.
Thank you.

Old 04-05-2020, 21:10   #3

Boat: Bayliner 24 ft'

Hi Barunal , You might check the voltage at battery and compare to voltage at windlass. Reduced voltage is hard on electric motors. I've fried electric tools using too long and light extension cords. I vaguely remember a thread about this subject. You might find the thread if you have the patience to learn how. I'm still learning. Good luck with it. Potbellypirate
potbellypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 00:26   #4

Potbellypirate,
Thank you for your reply.
I will re-check the voltages at the windlass end, while in operation.
Am also thinking if a bad contact within the solenoid could be the cause - same as in the battery voltage not reaching the windlass terminals.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:52   #5
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yes, you really do need how many volts are getting to the windlass motor terminals!

If you had been drawing excess current in the past, the solenoid contacts may be burnt i.e. high resistance.

You may find corrosion around (or even in) terminals causing voltage drops in the circuit.

Measuring the voltages under load will point you in the right direction. Measure all the way from source to load.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:57   #6

Wotname, I will measure accordingly, and share my findings.
Many thanks.

Tags
motor, wind, windlass