Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30   #61

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
Thanks for your input, Barry.

Re wiring your Kiss WG - do you just run your wires straight to your house bank or do you go via a battery monitor eg Xantrex?
Positve lead goes directly to the house bank. Negative lead to load side of shunt for battery monitor.

Barry
s/v Beach Cruiser
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 22:37   #62

Send a message via Skype™ to Camelot
12 amps each is pritty powerfull panels ...

"I also had four solar panels that provided about fifty amp hours a day total when there was good sun."
On a multihull you have a lot of space available compared to my monohull sloop. I would therefore never plan for four panels on Camelot, but I am planning to install two panels prior the next season. 12 amps/day is quite powerfull. My calculations is much less than 12 amps and I wonder what kind of panels you have installed?

Fair winds,
Gunnar
Camelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04   #63

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
"I also had four solar panels that provided about fifty amp hours a day total when there was good sun."
On a multihull you have a lot of space available compared to my monohull sloop. I would therefore never plan for four panels on Camelot, but I am planning to install two panels prior the next season. 12 amps/day is quite powerfull. My calculations is much less than 12 amps and I wonder what kind of panels you have installed?

Fair winds,
Gunnar
I don't have a means to caclulate total input, but my 370W total regularly runs at 15-25A on sunny days. I would be very disappointed with less than 50AH in a day, based on the total time over 10A input.

FWIW, it's three panels on an arch to achieve that. The prior footprint for 120 went up to 130 when we replaced one which had been killed when the wind generator took flight in a storm (the one which had us wrecked 12 or so hours later) and landed on it. They're connected in series, run through an MPPT controller. I have it set for equalize, as I have never had an overcharge potential, so my KISS is also run directly to the batteries...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23   #64

wanted to tell you about the danger of hooking a voltage regulator (or anything) directly to the battery. I was on my friend's boat when the regulator shorted out and caused a fire. Make sure that you fuse any connection and that the connection is after the battery switch. The manual from his wind generator did not show this as requirements.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:25   #65

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The KISS arrived in about 4 days from Trinidad. Very impressed with their delivery.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 22:32   #66

Boat: PSC 37 Crealock #149 (RIP)
Please forgive me if this question has been addressed already. Air Breeze's cast aluminum body is powder coated for corrosion resistance. The premium is about $200+. :-( I have heard that powder coats always get chipped and the aluminum there corrodes under the coating and grows quickly in a low oxygen environment. Why pay the "marine" premium? Why not just go with cast aluminum? Alternately, Performance Powder Coatings nearby can bake a coat on the disassembled body for significantly less than $200. Is that penny wise and pound foolish?
JDGreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 22:40   #67

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
Spreco's new WG

Anybody has experienced Spreco's new WG?
It looks interesting per specs
Otia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 17:54   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreenlee View Post
Please forgive me if this question has been addressed already. Air Breeze's cast aluminum body is powder coated for corrosion resistance. The premium is about $200+. :-( I have heard that powder coats always get chipped and the aluminum there corrodes under the coating and grows quickly in a low oxygen environment. Why pay the "marine" premium? Why not just go with cast aluminum? Alternately, Performance Powder Coatings nearby can bake a coat on the disassembled body for significantly less than $200. Is that penny wise and pound foolish?

we used a non marine version--i loved it-- worked well and was quiet thru all kinds of adventures..including lightning storms-- no problem.. worked great--last i heard still was fine..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 09:40   #69

Boat: Catalina 355, 34.5ft
I too have quizzed sailors on their power supply apparatus and results have varied on wind and solar but almost all have a Honda 2000i for back up. So I bought one and love it.
jslayton321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 09:50   #70
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreenlee View Post
I have the marine version of the Air Breeze. After 2.5 years, the coating is flaking off the tail, and I will probably scrape it back to bare aluminum once I get around to spring cleaning. If that's the only difference of the marine version, it would certainly not be worth the premium price.
Old 19-01-2011, 13:57   #71

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I have the marine version of the Air Breeze. After 2.5 years, the coating is flaking off the tail, and I will probably scrape it back to bare aluminum once I get around to spring cleaning. If that's the only difference of the marine version, it would certainly not be worth the premium price.

I looked at all the parts lists for the marine and the land versions...........there is no difference in any part number other than the powder coated parts. We now have the land version on the mizzen, when I installed it I liberally coated all the screws/bolts with tefgel (including the ones that hold the body together) and coated the whole thing with corossion X. I can do a lot of semi-annual coating for the premium "marine" price.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator