Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Wind Generator Output - Are You Disappointed?
My wind generator has fully met my expectations, meeting all of my electrical consumption on board unless it is very calm. 4 18.18%
My wind generator has fully met my expectations, taking care of some of my power consumption in windy weather, and keeping the batteries up when I'm not on board. 11 50.00%
My wind generator has been a disappointment to me, but it least it keeps a trickle charge on my batts when I'm not on board. 6 27.27%
My wind generator is useless; I have ripped it out to save space and windage (or think about/dream about ripping it out). 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 07:01   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Wind Generator (Especially Rutland) Real Life Output

I am now struggling to get to the bottom of my wind generator output problem. I am in contact with tech support of the manufacturer who have given me some tests to run. I will also be able to check with their archives to definitely settle the question of whether I have been given a 12 volt unit by mistake.

Meanwhile, tech support are waffling on what real output I should expect -- hinting that maybe there's nothing wrong with the generator at all. Now this would be b*ll*cks -- if my wind generator can't even run a compass light in windy weather, then who the h*ll needs one? I don't believe that this can possibly be so, considering how many happy owners of this unit there are.

So guys, help me out here, what real-life power production do you get out of your wind gennies, particularly Rutlant 913's and 914i's?

According to the manufacturer's literature, the Rutland 914i is supposed to produce:

* 230 watts peak power in 30 knots of wind
* 8 amps (12v nominal) at 10 m/s (about 20 knots), that is about 100 watts
* 2 amps (12v nominal) at 6 m/s (about 12 knots), that is about 25 watts
* 247 kilowatt/hours per annum where the mean wind speed is 5 m/s (about 10 knots) (247 kw/hours per annum is 677 watt/days or 28 watts average -- equal to a bit more than 2 amps average at 12v nominal or 1 amp average at 24v nominal.
http://seatronic.no/pdf/Ruthland/914...0Datasheet.pdf
* 48 amp/hours per day (at 12v nominal; like 24 amp/hours per day @ 24v)
(http://www.marlec.co.uk/wp-content/u...ull-Report.pdf)

OK. That's the data I used to choose this wind generator and I had hoped to get 24 amp/hours per day at 24 volts, on an average day with some wind.

The reality -- has been totally different. I have seen:

* Peak power of 95 watts during a 50+ knot gust (at the masthead; surely that's at least 40 knots at deck level). Rarely observe more than 20 watts.
* Highest sustained production I ever saw was one amp/hour per hour over 12 hours or so, and that was during a severe gale.
* Usual production during good strong windy weather -- 20 knots at the masthead -- is 4 or 5 amp hours per 24 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=rutland.jpg Views: 529 Size: 401.8 KB ID: 42414" style="margin: 2px" />

I can't imagine that this is a useful amount of power for anyone, and so if this were really typical, no one would buy them. So guys -- what is your real-life everday power production from your wind generators? And are you, in general, happy with them?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 07:25   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Wind Generator (Especially Rutland) Real Life Output

I'm currently swinging on the hook in sustained 10kts. AirX is clocking about 30 watts according to the Blue Sky controller. Was in 20ish knots over the weekend and saw a sustained 72 watts.

I'm in Sarasota and the winds have been variable but the AirX seems to compensate for all of my refer needs(about 40 amps) on most days. I do not have the ability to track current over time but an informal test of leaving the boat with only wind enabled for a few days(solar off) and only running refer kept the batts at 12.5 volts.
kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 22:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Not a single vote or report?!?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 22:59   #4

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

I have the Rutland 913 and as far as I have seen it is putting out about what the specs say it should.But unless wind is steady,ampmeter is jumping all over.Over 20 knots steady batteries are in float in no time and HRSi regulator shuts it down.The original old regulator burned out in a sustained 50 kn. wind.It works better when boat is stationary than rocking wildly or going downwind.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 01:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Cant really help that much, I have the D400, probably the one you wished you had purchased .
Found at anchor, on a mooring its very good, in a marina not so good due to wind shifts.
Have noted that if the geny is rotating in azimuth , the output is less.
Your on a mooring, so winds should be steady.

I guess you know you'll have to test the raw output to narrow down a problem.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 05:11   #6

We had the Rutland on our moody for for 3 years and swapped it for a D400 two years back. The Rutland seemed to do very little to top up the batteries. It will produce an output at low wind speed but the voltage produced was not enough to overcome the internal resistance of the batteries until the wind was up I the 15 knot range.
The D400 is a lot better but at the price it should be, and will run the fridge, autopilot and instruments when sailing with about 15 knots over the deck, its also a lot quieter below.
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 05:34   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

My KISS works fine. I've had it for eight years, no problems whatsoever. Under 10 kts windspeed output is negligible but at eighteen to twenty knots it puts out a good 16 to 18 amps. This is a 12v unit.
Old 24-06-2012, 22:50   #8

Boat: boat less ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
My KISS works fine. I've had it for eight years, no problems whatsoever. Under 10 kts windspeed output is negligible but at eighteen to twenty knots it puts out a good 16 to 18 amps. This is a 12v unit.
I have a KISS and agree with those figures. I had a Rutland on my last boat and was also disappointed with its output. HOWEVER, I wonder if using a regulator cut off a lot of the output. The KISS manufacturer does not recommend using a regulator. It is a bit of a hassle having to tie it off wind slightly when leaving for any length of time at anchor but you get into the habit. If you are in a marina, turn it off completely but you are on shore power any way.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 04:46   #9

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Any more info, Dockhead, or others on the Rutland performance? I am close to making a wind generator purchase. We had been leaning towards the Rutland, but with the reports of issues, I'm now getting a little concerned.

Also, the manual says it supports 160watts of solar on the same regulator. How is this feature working, if anyone is using it? We'd also like to installl some solar as well, and this would seem to be a good way to save money.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 06:07   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Under what conditions are you measuring the output? If the batteries are full it won't do much - if the solar is working then the wind genny controller may shut down to float because it "thinks" the batteries are full. A quick gust and it turns on then wind dies and it drops to float and stays there.

If you have wind AND solar you must use only one controller designed with a solar and a wind input. Otherwise go with svstrider's suggestion of no wind controller. The D400 manufacturer recommends that also.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 06:14   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've got an Air Breeze, when it blows, it makes power like I would expect. When sailing on the wind it more than keeps the up with power demands, it fact it turns off all the time as the batteries are fully charged. At anchor, the bulk of our power comes from the solar, but when windy the wind gen really does it's work. I just so happens that the wind most of the time coincides with lack of sun......it works out well.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 07:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We've got an Air Breeze, when it blows, it makes power like I would expect. When sailing on the wind it more than keeps the up with power demands, it fact it turns off all the time as the batteries are fully charged. At anchor, the bulk of our power comes from the solar, but when windy the wind gen really does it's work. I just so happens that the wind most of the time coincides with lack of sun......it works out well.
I have to agree 100% love the AirBreeze.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 08:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Any more info, Dockhead, or others on the Rutland performance? I am close to making a wind generator purchase. We had been leaning towards the Rutland, but with the reports of issues, I'm now getting a little concerned.

Also, the manual says it supports 160watts of solar on the same regulator. How is this feature working, if anyone is using it? We'd also like to installl some solar as well, and this would seem to be a good way to save money.

Scott
Note how many people like the D400, I think it is the only way to go with wind.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 10:05   #14

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend
Under what conditions are you measuring the output? If the batteries are full it won't do much - if the solar is working then the wind genny controller may shut down to float because it "thinks" the batteries are full. A quick gust and it turns on then wind dies and it drops to float and stays there.

If you have wind AND solar you must use only one controller designed with a solar and a wind input. Otherwise go with svstrider's suggestion of no wind controller. The D400 manufacturer recommends that also.
Separate wind and solar controllers are fine. In bulk charging, they'll both work.

When you hit absorption one will shut down (set the wind a little low so it will shut down first), but at that point, very little current is required and either system can probably handle it. If not, voltage will drop and the other system will come back on.
Old 25-08-2012, 05:12   #15

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

How is the Air Breeze on noise and vibration? One of the things we like about the Rutland (on nearby boats) is that it was very quiet.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, rutland, wind, wind generator