well - a couple of reasons to live that way -
1. i think a lower output machine would handle our refrig needs
2. they look right permanently mounted on a big cat with arch, but no so, imo, on a small traditional sloop
3. don't need the rest of the stuff a true liveaboard
would list, but ability to use an invertor and charge power tool batteries
and brew coffee would be useful.
4. having another way to charge batteries
won't is worthwhile.
5. don't like to listen to the diesel
6. shorter run times with no load isn't really good for a diesel
7. for our boat
is plentiful due to no quarter berth and fix mount anything (electronics, radar
, wind, davits) is in the way on a smaller boat.
8. gas hit $3.35 this morning and all other fuels will follow - i expect $5.00 within a few years. crazy ? i predicted $3.00 for this summer.
all said - the cost is high for the convenience, but remember that if i trade
up in a few years, the portable units stays with me, not the boat.