Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 21:01   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Wifi antenae POE injector ground?

I'm replacing the ethernet cable that runs to my ubiquity bullet antenae from the POE injector because the old one got damaged.

The shielded cables are basically the same cost, but to get the benefit of the shielding I think I need to ground the system. The POE injector has connections for positive, negative, and ground. Previously only the positive and negative were attached.

Is it worth running a cable 12 feet back to the engine block to ground it? What would happen if I just connected the POE injector's ground point to DC negative as well, since the DC negative is ultimately connected to the engine block anyways?
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 22:06   #2

Boat: Irwin MK III 43
Re: Wifi antenae POE injector ground?

Ahoy, I have a Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP that I am unable to get to work. I have the Bullet connected to an antenna, an ethernet cable from the bullet to a Ubiquiti air Gateway for WiFi. I get everything hooked up and receiving outside signal and repeating it through the air Gateway but it says "no internet access".
Do you have any advise in the set up process that might get my system up and running?
JSurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
I'm replacing the ethernet cable that runs to my ubiquity bullet antenae from the POE injector because the old one got damaged.

The shielded cables are basically the same cost, but to get the benefit of the shielding I think I need to ground the system. The POE injector has connections for positive, negative, and ground. Previously only the positive and negative were attached.

Is it worth running a cable 12 feet back to the engine block to ground it? What would happen if I just connected the POE injector's ground point to DC negative as well, since the DC negative is ultimately connected to the engine block anyways?

If the bullet is mounted on aluminum or stainless steel, or any metal for that matter, I would run the ground wire to the metal mounting point. Perhaps to one of the mounting bolts used to secure the antenna.
The ground wire (not the negative lead) seems to be for the antenna's counter poise.
steveinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:30   #4

Boat: Ovni 395

I have the Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP Titanium.
Because I have aluminum hull I needed to wrap the metal mounting point to separate it from the ground.

It does work from 12v with PoE injector.
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 06:43   #5

Boat: Irwin MK III 43

I am curious about your set up configuration for your hardware. ie ip addresses, if your set up as a bridge or a router, etc. When I set mine up according Ubiquiti innstructions it no workie. And Ubiquiti is absolutely, unequivocally no help.
JSurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 06:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

Your Bullet can be set as a Bridge or a Router but the Router mode makes the most sense for easy use. If you start from a reset Bullet and access it using a Static IP on your computer then change the settings on the Network tab according to the steps below your Bullet will be ready for use after you change your computer back to getting DHCP Automatically and log back into the Bullet.

Your Bullet will be accessible at 192.168.30.20 with a login name of "ubnt" and password of "ubnt". Note that you may be required to change the password. If so then your new password will be your login password.

1. Change Network Mode to Router
2. Under Wan Network Settings check mark NAT
3. In LAN Network Settings:
a. Set IP Address = 192.168.30.20
b. Change DHCP Server to "Enabled"
c. Set Range Start to 192.168.30.50
d. Set Range End to 192.168.30.149
4. Click Change
5. On the Services tab in Web Server disable disable "Secure Connection (HTTPS)"
6. Click "Change" then "Apply" (you may be required to set a new login
password depending on your current firmware)
7. Change you computer IP back to Automatic DHCP

These are the minimum settings to start using your Bullet. The IP address & the ranges can be any private IP range you want to use. I just picked one possible subnet.

Tags
wifi