Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 10:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Why i don't trust experts: The Fridge

Yep, hard being an expert these days.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
..with all due respect... I reach -28℃ at ease,, with minimal amount of gas (1/8), no hand made SS plates (10kg) and 6-8Ah consumption

My previous set was installed in 1989, nextwill be in 2040 approx. :-)
Quite true for a modest size system. We had a 26 cubic foot refrig/freezer, ice maker, and cold water tap. Also had a 10 c.f. freezer chest for long term storage. Basically an average kitchen for the average home. Cruising with three kids, your priorities change. But that was 45 years ago.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 13:02   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Why I don't trust experts: The Fridge

Ever had a stay in warmer waters? If so how was the operation?
Old 31-05-2016, 13:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Ever had a stay in warmer waters? If so how was the operation?

Not sure whom you were addressing, but we cruised extensively in tropical waters for many years; and for that matter, in high latitude waters also. Everything worked well, normal maintenance and WTF events excepted. What really made a difference was having our kids give out ice cream and popsicles to island kids along the Milk Run. That really opened a lot of doors to local cultures. One of the best reasons to cruise when the kids are kids.
Old 31-05-2016, 14:36   #20

The OP (The Thunderbird), cruising inn the Med, said, "A honest, experienced technician (he delivers industrial plants and has decades of experience, 28 workers...) insisted on a pair of K35 compressors, whilst I chose K35+K50 combo."

I then asked if they'd cruised in warmer waters, and if so how had things worked [I am paraphrasing myself].

Another person (reed1v) then responded to my question (I was definitely unclear as to who I was addressing) by saying they had cruised in the tropics, and their system had worked.

This is how the old game of telephone works, the original message is lost, and the resulting exchanges are mostly meaningless. Here, I believe the OP was saying the experts are untrustworthy (presumably because their chosen example had tried to sell them a K50 in addition to a K35, when only two K35's were actually needed. I was curious about their result in warmer waters, if known. I failed to use the quote tool which created uncertainly as to the person to whom my question was directed. The result: confusion.

If it is not too late, I only care about learning if the OP's system with two K35's worked in waters warmer than the Meds, if they had actually been in such waters. I was interested both for personal reasons, and because I was not yet sure the expert was wrong.

Old 31-05-2016, 15:04   #21

Here's a "fridge expert" story.

A friend of ours bought a brand-new French production boat (a mono). The fridge never worked properly right from the start.

The dealers sent a couple of fridge guys to look, but they didn't fix it. Our friend was getting pissed off by now (it was some months since he'd bought the boat, and still no working fridge) so he demanded they send someone who actually knew what they were doing.

OK they said, we're sending our best fridge expert. A real guru.

So this guy got on the boat, opened the fridge and gave this invaluable pearl of refrigeration wisdom... wait for it....

"That's why it doesn't work, you've got a loaf of bread in there. Bread sucks up all the cold."

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 15:12   #22

Quote:
I have a fridge, a freezer + adjacent cool zone container

A honest, experienced technician (he delivers industrial plants and has decades of experience, 28 workers...) insisted on a pair of K35 compressors, whilst I chose K35+K50 combo.

So far, so good
K50 DRIVES freezer from 20℃ down to -13℃ in 15' (empty) and I may have 5kg of ice in 24h. I rarely use it.
But when you need, here you are!

K35 runs the fridge to 8℃ in 45', and has light consumption for ongoing use.

The cool zone is taken from freezer down to +8℃

Perfect combo and results, unattainable otherwise.

Thus, read title of thread again, and f... the "experts"

PS old eutectic plates and 1kg gas were replaced by 150g (5oz.) of modern gas. Inertia is wrong concept in cooling. Insulation +fans inside, and onto compressors, is key
it begs the question: how do you know the two 35's wouldn't have worked fine?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 16:26   #23

Quote:
The OP (The Thunderbird), cruising inn the Med, said, "A honest, experienced technician (he delivers industrial plants and has decades of experience, 28 workers...) insisted on a pair of K35 compressors, whilst I chose K35+K50 combo."

I then asked if they'd cruised in warmer waters, and if so how had things worked [I am paraphrasing myself].

Another person (reed1v) then responded to my question (I was definitely unclear as to who I was addressing) by saying they had cruised in the tropics, and their system had worked.

This is how the old game of telephone works, the original message is lost, and the resulting exchanges are mostly meaningless. Here, I believe the OP was saying the experts are untrustworthy (presumably because their chosen example had tried to sell them a K50 in addition to a K35, when only two K35's were actually needed. I was curious about their result in warmer waters, if known. I failed to use the quote tool which created uncertainly as to the person to whom my question was directed. The result: confusion.

If it is not too late, I only care about learning if the OP's system with two K35's worked in waters warmer than the Meds, if they had actually been in such waters. I was interested both for personal reasons, and because I was not yet sure the expert was wrong.

It seems you have it backwards.

The expert suggested two K35s, the OP selected a K35 and a K50.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 16:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

That was my read on it...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 19:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Indeed I apparently do, but then I've been dogged by dylexia for much of my 70+ years. I was about 9 or 10 when realized I was worshiping doG, and this was the possible reason my prayers were going unanswered.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:08   #26

Quote:
Indeed I apparently do, but then I've been dogged by dylexia for much of my 70+ years. I was about 9 or 10 when realized I was worshiping doG, and this was the possible reason my prayers were going unanswered.
So, S looks like a 5, right is left, no telling which way to draw a 7, and reading from right to left seems normal. Meanwhile Dog was probably answering your prayers. You are still alive, are you not?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:47   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
A honest, experienced technician (he delivers industrial plants and has decades of experience, 28 workers...) insisted on a pair of K35 compressors, whilst I chose K35+K50 combo.

Thus, read title of thread again, and f... the "experts"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
it begs the question: how do you know the two 35's wouldn't have worked fine?

I wouldn't know a compressor from a cricket bat but...

Seems like an odd response from OP. The tech may well have been suggesting a system that could work just fine, may have been less expensive...

But OP seems to assume that, because his choice works, the tech's recommended system would not.

And then he takes all manner of techs to task... implying all experts are therefore inexpert... for why?

-Chris
Old 01-06-2016, 06:06   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I wouldn't know a compressor from a cricket bat but...

Seems like an odd response from OP. The tech may well have been suggesting a system that could work just fine, may have been less expensive...

But OP seems to assume that, because his choice works, the tech's recommended system would not.

And then he takes all manner of techs to task... implying all experts are therefore inexpert... for why?

-Chris

This just illustrates to me the type of personality that the OP possesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:11   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

PFFFFT Experts - PFFFT.

Way overrated. I need heart surgery next week, might do it myself, you have inspired me to ignore the experts.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:28   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We've had good luck in Garrucha, Spain, again in Palma, Mallorca, Mahon, Menorca, Here in Olbia, Sardinia there's no problem finding honest low cost help. Plus in each case, they show up when they say they're going to show up. As long as we stay away from the large shipyards, which is where we've run into expensive cost over runs. But even with the shipyards, we found a very honest place in Elba, Italy.

Usually, we've had the best luck by asking the marina managers because they know the local independent guys, and they want us to be pleased with the service and return to use their marina again. Marine stores can also be a good source. But here in Sardinia, I'm surrounded by good people.
You seem to be in need of refrigeration service/repair a lot. The last time I had a tech aboard was in 2003
That's not fair because I read the book and took over myself. So since then I have installed a new system in 2004 and replaced the O-rings and topped up gas in 2012; I guess it makes sense to service these units once every 5 years to stay ahead of trouble.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote