Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 16:16   #1

Boat: '84 Tayana Vancouver 42
Which inverter to buy

I’m going to be adding an inverter to my system. Any suggestions on brand and model? I’m looking for a 2000-3000 watt, pure sine wave inverter. Preferably one who’s output offers terminals, instead of the standard A/C outlets.
SVRealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 16:46   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Which inverter to buy

We have been very happy with our Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger with the added ME-ARC remote control unit.

The pure sine output is clean and the unit seems to be bullet proof. We've had every possible weird electrical snafu that you can think of both with the shore power supply and the ship's DC power. The Magnum detects the weirdness, and copes with it.
Old 19-06-2021, 17:39   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRealityCheck View Post
I’m going to be adding an inverter to my system. Any suggestions on brand and model? I’m looking for a 2000-3000 watt, pure sine wave inverter. Preferably one who’s output offers terminals, instead of the standard A/C outlets.
First only pure sine inverter...

Depends on your Budget:
Top notch, known, worldwide spare parts and expensive: Victron (preferred) Phönix or Multiplus or equivalent Mastervolt

Top notch and best value for money: Samlex

https://www.donrowe.com/samlex-evo-3...p/evo-3012.htm

Very reliable plus Budget: Giandel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTGJ46T...language=en_US

Suggest to go for a big inverter 3500-4000W and use it to max 60-80%. First if it’s getting hot it’s power capability is reducing and 2nd any electronics used at full or close to full rating decreases the life span drastically.

Nearly forgot one (my 2nd one installed: a Victron Multiplus 12-3000 runs everything 220V besides galley and the tip Edecoa which runs my whole electric galley and sees regularly high loads)
Edecoa: Cheap and good especially for electric galley but has a Quality issue: means their quality end control is bad...if you unpack, it runs and longer then 3 month you got a good reliable one that will last years and takes very high loads shorttermed (good for induction cooking due cosi pi tolerant and takes bursts of power, real 3500W permanent and 7000 peak for 350Euro), if not exchange till you get a good one...that’s why I suggest to buy via Amazon. https://www.amazon.de/spannungswandl...116031&sr=8-20
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 17:56   #4

I would look at spending just a bit more for a Victron. They are packed with features and very reliable. Sine-wave power of course but also extremely conservative specs. The 2000 watt can do 4000 watts for brief periods such as an air conditioner compressor start. They even come with a 5 year replacement warranty - far longer than the others.

I'd also think about stepping up to a Victron Multi Plus inverter/charger either the 2000 watt or the 3000 watt. Because inverters and chargers have almost exactly the same parts inside there's little difference in price. Even the installation wiring is about the same.

Having a 2nd charger is always a good idea and you can run both together to charge faster.

https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 06:56   #5

Boat: '84 Tayana Vancouver 42

Looking at the 4000w Giandel for ~$580 US.

I have a pair of 30a panels I’d like to run this into. Right now I have a switch allowing me to choose between shore power and the generator. I’m hoping to add the inverter as a third option.

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance. I’m not sure how to get the inverter’s output into my A/C panels using the Giandel’s 4 outlet plugs. I was hoping for something who's output used electrical terminals instead of "home-style" outlets, but most everything I'm seeing is like this Giandel.

(Thanks to CaptainRivet for the detailed suggestions)
SVRealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 10:21   #6

Always buy a sine wave inverter. It is more efficient and some devices, particularly if they contain electronics will not be happy and could get damaged using a square or Quasi sinewave inverter.
You don't say what your voltage is. If you are running a 12v input then you will be using in excess of 250amps at 3000W and your batteries are being abused if you keep that up for too long. At 24v input, you will be using half that but it is still a lot for a battery bank. If you are just using a coffee maker for 5 minutes then all will be well, but if you are heating up the water tank for an hour then that will really be caning the batteries.
Most proprietary makes are OK. Just choose one which has the features which you like and need, and that you can easily get serviced or attended to in the event of problems.
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 11:38   #7

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

I have used a Magnum Energy Inverter/charger for the last 11 years on our 38' Horstman Tristar! It has been Bullitt proof. The separate read out instrument lets you place it on the interior or at a dry helm to control all functions. More expensive but has been a great long term investment. The customer service has still been great after 11 years.
Good luck.
Old 20-06-2021, 14:13   #8

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Yes to pure sine wave only. I installed a 2000watt initially and it wouldn't run my microwave. Changed it out for a 3000watt and all is well. I have an AIMS which wasn't horribly expensive and has been faultless for over 4 years.
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 18:32   #9

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

If this is your first inverter installation I would remind you to get one with internal transfer switch or if that's not possible you can add an external automatic transfer switch. Allows shore or generator power to pass through to the AC panel when available, bypassing the inverter automatically and configuring ground connections properly.

Tags
inverter