Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 13:43   #31

Re: Which controller ...last step ...

David, this helps me a lot thank you,it looks very simple and when the bimini is tight , I think it should be fine...

I really like the seting looks very simple. I decided to place the inox eyelets and velcro, since the zippers will reduce the space......

My Bimini is much smaller. and I have sailed with it with 35 knots and still is very solid. I really like the seting looks very simple. I decided to place the inox eyelets and velcro, Do you think will be safe also ?

Thank you
Oriol
4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 15:00   #32

One more......question
I just read that the panels have 5 year of energy production, that means that after 5 year.....are gone....or that means 5 years of continuous energy production...I mean if stored , it keeps "aging".....
Old 19-04-2013, 18:19   #33

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fish View Post
One more......question
I just read that the panels have 5 year of energy production, that means that after 5 year.....are gone....or that means 5 years of continuous energy production...I mean if stored , it keeps "aging".....
I'm not sure what you're referring to. There's no "consumption" of capacity with solar panels. Is this an issue of warranty? I'm assuming that, as long as the panels aren't abused, they will continue to function indefinitely.

As to your installation specifics, I'm assuming that the key is that the panels are easy to install and remove and are maintained in a stable position. Others like Maine Sail have done a number of installs. Their perspective will be a lot more useful in assessing the approach you're proposing.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 04:27   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fish View Post
One more......question
Solar cells do decrease production with age.
The better rigid mono and poly panels provide guarantees that give some idea of the slow rate of deterioration.the guarantee usually specifies something like 90% output at 10 years and 80% at 20 years.

Amorphous solar cells used in some lexible solar panels deteriorate much more rapidly

The new flexible panels like Solbian use very similar cells to the rigid panels and should have a reasonable life, but we will not know untill they have been on the market longer.
Failure is likely to come from mechanical causes such as delamination, damage to the wiring, loss of transparency of the clear cover etc rather than the slow gradual inevitable deterioration of the solar cells.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 11:11   #35

I think I read that in some solbian information.....but I am sure is for what nolex says....they need good care....