Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 01:10   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Which Battery - Australia Based

I currently have some very old West Marine batteries - 792AH in total from four batteries that are on their way out.

These take up most of the available space, although there is a very small amount of spare room.

Lithium due to cost and complexity is off the table, so please lets not get into those.

I have 1KW of Solar & Diesel generator.

So far I have been recommended 3 Different batteries available in Australia that will fit (x4):

Victron Super Cycle 12V - 230AH - Approx Aud $900
Full River - 12V 210AH - Approx Aud $900
Force batteries - 12V 200AH - Approx Aud $560

Probably looking for AGM batteries, so are they any other serious contenders that are available in Australia?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 03:01   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Which Battery - Australia Based

Gday UFO, have a look at Aussie Battery and Solar. Good selection and have used their GIANT brand batteries with great success

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 03:14   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Gday UFO, have a look at Aussie Battery and Solar. Good selection and have used their GIANT brand batteries with great success

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Oz
Greg, not doubting you had a good run with them, but sorry to say, I had a terrible experience of their AGM batteries. Utter rubbish. This was about, I think, six years ago.
Old 30-07-2020, 03:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I currently have some very old West Marine batteries - 792AH in total from four batteries that are on their way out.

These take up most of the available space, although there is a very small amount of spare room.

Lithium due to cost and complexity is off the table, so please lets not get into those.

I have 1KW of Solar & Diesel generator.

So far I have been recommended 3 Different batteries available in Australia that will fit (x4):

Victron Super Cycle 12V - 230AH - Approx Aud $900
Full River - 12V 210AH - Approx Aud $900
Force batteries - 12V 200AH - Approx Aud $560

Probably looking for AGM batteries, so are they any other serious contenders that are available in Australia?
As I noted to Greg, I had a dud pair of AGMs from Aussie Battery. (Oh, and some REALLY crappy solar panels too.)

Other than that, I had one very good small bank of DZ70's from Supercharge, which were still going strong after five years. However, when I decided to build a proper sized bank out of all new DZ70s, they were stuffed within a year.

I've surrendered and gone with the Trojan T105s because, frankly, they just seem to work for everyone who uses them.

Any reason you wouldn't consider these?

Matt
Old 30-07-2020, 03:26   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Used T105s for years on my old boat and would be using them on the one I have now except the battery box is not tall enough.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 04:36   #6
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
As I noted to Greg, I had a dud pair of AGMs from Aussie Battery. (Oh, and some REALLY crappy solar panels too.)

Other than that, I had one very good small bank of DZ70's from Supercharge, which were still going strong after five years. However, when I decided to build a proper sized bank out of all new DZ70s, they were stuffed within a year.

I've surrendered and gone with the Trojan T105s because, frankly, they just seem to work for everyone who uses them.

Any reason you wouldn't consider these?

Matt

Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought that the open Lead Acid batteries gassed off considerably more than AGMs which are minimal?

The battery bank is under a double bed, so I wanted to avoid such a situation.

On top of this the T105's in Perth are not much less than the top of the line AGMs, which have the added benefit of no servicing.
Old 30-07-2020, 05:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought that the open Lead Acid batteries gassed off considerably more than AGMs which are minimal?

The battery bank is under a double bed, so I wanted to avoid such a situation.

On top of this the T105's in Perth are not much less than the top of the line AGMs, which have the added benefit of no servicing.

Nope, I won’t correct you, because you are right. That’s a key difference, and I agree, I wouldn’t want a FLA under my bed either.

And yeah, the T105’s are not cheap. My set of 6 cost me about AU$2K. That hurt.
Old 30-07-2020, 06:32   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
And yeah, the T105’s are not cheap. My set of 6 cost me about AU$2K. That hurt.

Wow, that's a crazy price for those batteries. In the US they want ~$950(US) for 4 T105s on Amazon. Had these batteries previously in another boat and thought the quality went down hill a bit, so purchased Crown batteries. The ~equivalent 220ah Crown currently is only $130/each ($520 for 4).
We purchased the 235ah Crown (940ah all from same lot) 8 years ago and still going strong. Will be purchasing them again when we need to replace them. Good bang for the buck IMO.
Are Crowns available by you guys?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 08:08   #9

Which Battery - Australia Based

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Wow, that's a crazy price for those batteries. In the US they want ~$950(US) for 4 T105s on Amazon.

Based on the current exchange rate that’s pretty much exactly what I paid.
Old 30-07-2020, 08:52   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Do they have Crown or Interstate in your neck of the woods?

Both are good batt. manufacturers.
Would try to make certain the batteries were "fresh" (find a seller who sells many of them) and get them all from the same lot as possible.
Here I purchased them from "Battery Warehouse" and as the name suggests their main product is batteries. Since I was buying 8 at one time was able to work a discount (doesn't hurt to ask).

Back to the op (sorry about the thread drift). I agree would not put "open" gassing FLAs under the bed.

Only based on price, would look into the Force batts since you need to purchase 4 of them.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:21   #11

Boat: Phantom 32

Talk to Peter at Battery Value. He's an authority and can discuss for hours. Pricing pretty reasonable too
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 15:40   #12

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

I only just now have purchased new batteries for my boat. I will be installing them today.
There are several suppliers of batteries at a reasonable price. Aussie Batteries & Solar in Yatala Qld, He has an excellent range, look at his 6v h.d. Batteries on their web site. I spoke to the guy quite some time back, didn't find him too helpful, maybe he was having a bad day. The other mob that appears to have a good range is Kickass (kickassproducts.com.au) ph. 07)31234715 based on the Sunshine Coast. Their prices seem reasonable. I know you don't want lithium, but if you were going to pay $900 for a good AGM then I techworld have 120ah lithium (i120x) for $975 with a smart BMS that means you can pull your AGM's out and put the lithium straight in and use your existing charger, This, after much tossing & turning is the route I took.
Good luck with it all.
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 19:11   #13

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

MAy not be relevant - but certainly interesting to note.

Was paying $335 for an 8v battery then saw chat site where a guy was using 8v golf buggy batteries at $135 each. Bought them and they worked perfectly.
Now have 4 x 6v golf batteries and they also work perfectly.

Cheers

Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 19:28   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

LiFePO4 batteries these days are not complicated and getting close to the cost of your AGM choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61E67FFE-6C5E-42A8-A543-FC70ACC3110D.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	220397  
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 20:36   #15
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Do they have Crown or Interstate in your neck of the woods?

Both are good batt. manufacturers.
Would try to make certain the batteries were "fresh" (find a seller who sells many of them) and get them all from the same lot as possible.
Here I purchased them from "Battery Warehouse" and as the name suggests their main product is batteries. Since I was buying 8 at one time was able to work a discount (doesn't hurt to ask).

Back to the op (sorry about the thread drift). I agree would not put "open" gassing FLAs under the bed.

Only based on price, would look into the Force batts since you need to purchase 4 of them.

I have not seen Crown or Interstate in Oz, but there are heaps of lower cost ones around - Just trying to find one that will last more than a couple of years

Tags
Australia, battery