Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 08:31   #31

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: What type of switch do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I want one that can connect 3 wires when pushed. Rather than a traditional on/off switch that only connects/shorts/jumps two together.

To have it bring water into the bowl and evacuate at the same time all 3 wires from the toilet must be shorted together.
A momentary 3-pole button switch will connect 3 separate circuits.

Do all three circuits feed from your 12 volt line? If all three circuits will effectively be connected-at-the-battery, a single-pole momentary switch can power all three circuits.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 11:56   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
I have 3 wires. Two positives one negative. I'm looking for a button/switch that then I press it, connects all 3 together then disconnects when I remove pressure.

None of the 3 wires should

What type of button/switch do I need?
"Man destroys his vessel, 5 surrounding vessels, and a marina, trying to save a few bucks on a switch....news at 11."

This question indicates very clearly that you (and many of the responders) do not have even a basic understanding of marine electrical wiring.

One never uses a switch to connect positive and negative wires together.

This is called a short circuit.

It could easily overload the branch wiring. Hopefully a fuse blows or breaker trips before the wire catches fire and the boat burns to the waterline.

Folks, if you are not going to learn even the most basic of electrical principles, don't mess with your vessel electrical system; the safety of your vessel, crew, and innocent bystanders are at stake.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 12:13   #33

Boat: Outremer 50S

The switch panel linked has two switches, a DPST and an SPDT. Both momentary. The DPST is wired exactly as shown in the sketch in my previous post - a red +12V is sent to both poles on one side of the switch, the brown macerator wire goes to one pole on the opposite side, the yellow water valve lead goes to the other. This causes macerator to run and water to flow at the same time while the switch is depressed. The Carling switch previously linked matches the requirements in the toilet manual.

The SPDT switch is wired with the red +12V to the common (center) pole and then the brown and yellow wires (jumpered from the DPST) are connected to each of the other poles. This allows one function or the other to be used independently. I’m positive Carling makes a matching switch in the SPDT momentary configuration but not someplace I can look easily at the moment.

If you don’t care about having the independent functions then you could connect yellow and brown together and use an SPST momentary switch to run the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Here’s the same switch in momentary (spring-loaded, you have to hold it to keep the contacts):

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...275-ND/3025057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
A picture being worse a thousand words....

OP, is this what you are trying to do?

Attachment 207612

This is a DPST with a jumper on one side. The dashed line indicates that the two switches operate together.

Still don't see why post #5 (combine the macerator and water wires together) with a SPST won't work, but if you want to keep them separate the DPST will do the job.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 13:28   #34

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
"Man destroys his vessel, 5 surrounding vessels, and a marina, trying to save a few bucks on a switch....news at 11."

This question indicates very clearly that you (and many of the responders) do not have even a basic understanding of marine electrical wiring.

One never uses a switch to connect positive and negative wires together.

This is called a short circuit.

It could easily overload the branch wiring. Hopefully a fuse blows or breaker trips before the wire catches fire and the boat burns to the waterline.

Folks, if you are not going to learn even the most basic of electrical principles, don't mess with your vessel electrical system; the safety of your vessel, crew, and innocent bystanders are at stake.

Dude you are a joker. I'm not shorting positive and negative from the battery. I've already explained that there is a load so there is no short circuit. It's been tested and works as expected, no adverse affects which of course there wouldn't be since it's how the manufacturer wires it anyway. Perhaps my initial explanation wasn't clear, but All I needed to know is the actual name of the switch (nothing more nothing less)

Best go back to some of the CF disaster threads.

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 13:38   #35

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
I have 3 wires. Two positives one negative. I'm looking for a button/switch that then I press it, connects all 3 together then disconnects when I remove pressure.

None of the 3 wires should

What type of button/switch do I need?
It sure looks to me that you would be creating a short circuit.

I’ve only heard of using a switch to connect pos/pos or neg/neg

I hope you will update when you get this figured out.

Good luck
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 13:46   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Dude you are a joker. I'm not shorting positive and negative from the battery. I've already explained that there is a load so there is no short circuit. It's been tested and works as expected, no adverse affects which of course there wouldn't be since it's how the manufacturer wires it anyway. Perhaps my initial explanation wasn't clear, but All I needed to know is the actual name of the switch (nothing more nothing less)

I think the original post caused the confusion. Pos. and neg.. Supply and load might have been better. Colors may have also? Different parts of the world or maybe someone wiring seem to use different colors. I think the diagram of the DPST switch answered your question.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 14:25   #37

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
It sure looks to me that you would be creating a short circuit.

I’ve only heard of using a switch to connect pos/pos or neg/neg

I hope you will update when you get this figured out.

Good luck
Fair enough.

It's been figured. It's the terminology used, and poor explanation that was the cause for confusion. I'm willing to admit that.

Here's how it works currently. The positive from the breaker goes to a small bus bar, and runs to the switch DPDT momentary rocker at P2.

The negative from the negative bus bar runs to a junction box where it is split. With one wire going to the solenoid, the other to the DC motor.

A positive lead from the DC motor runs straight to the switch. P1
A positive lead (which is actually black -this is where the colours are important huh) from the Solenoid runs straight to to the switch. P4

Pushing the rocker up connects P4 and P2, and pushing it down connects P1 and P2

My expected and tested behaviour is that DPST switch will connect both P1 and P4 to the incoming 12v feed at P2 and thus both the solenoid and the dc motor will run simultaneously

In my search for a DPST momentary button or rocker, I've actually found that the manufacturer offers one that isn't the $200 deluxe version, and the single switch can be bought for $50 but sometimes found for $30. So I'll use my temporary setup until I can get hold of that.

For your peace of mind. It's on a 15a breaker, 6m2 wire 10m total run with a local fuse to protect the device/wire.

I understand that you were trying to get me to slow down, take my time and think it out. Rather rush ahead knowing that the three wires needed to be in contact momentarily to achieve my goal
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 15:25   #38
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:

Dude, you stated you intended to connect positive to negative via a switch.

My response was 100% correct.

If you meant to post something else, you should have.

It’s not my fault you posted something incorrect.

Don’t blame me for responding correctly.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:55   #39

Boat: Hake 32RK

I assure you it is not jumping two positive and one negative wire together it might be switching power from battery to a device and have an led or other pilot light requiring the negative lead but it is not connecting all three together When you have more info the mystery can be solved
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:30   #40

You need a DPST switch. If for a head or something that will not be left running, a DPST MOM switch. That's double pole, single throw, momentary.

There will be 4 contacts, usually two on the end and two in the middle. Put two wires on the end and one wire across BOTH of the middle contacts. (Not to confuse the issue, but you could do just the opposite) . Now, nothing is connected until you throw the lever or rocker over and then they are all connected.

Make sure the switch is DC rated for the number of amps you will run through it.
The Sun King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:37   #41

Boat: Baba 35

Some scary stuff in this thread.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:35   #42

A 3-phase breaker/switch.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:40   #43

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

Your post indicates either an unclear statement of your question or a “too basic” understanding of electric circuits. SORRY to sound critical but please be careful of obtaining instructions from any forum.
(I once had to call 911 upon discovery of a winter-stored small sail boat in CT having 3-ft flames in the cockpit. I was almost was overcome by burning resin fumes as I approached the vessel with extinguisher in hand. Had to retreat & await the FD.
The owner had just installed a new battery BACKWARDS.)
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:54   #44

When you say "connect 3 wires together", do you mean connect 2 wires of the loo to one positive from the battery ? That would only require a 2-pole switch. Double pole, single throw (DPST), momenatry would seem appropriate. If this IS the case, I suggest that you don't have sufficient understanding of electrics to do the job anyway.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:56   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperguy View Post
Your post indicates either an unclear statement of your question or a “too basic” understanding of electric circuits. SORRY to sound critical but please be careful of obtaining instructions from any forum.
(I once had to call 911 upon discovery of a winter-stored small sail boat in CT having 3-ft flames in the cockpit. I was almost was overcome by burning resin fumes as I approached the vessel with extinguisher in hand. Had to retreat & await the FD.
The owner had just installed a new battery BACKWARDS.)
Owner: "That is strange, the terminals don't fit. Maybe I should swap the connectors on the wires" OK, they may have been lug rather than post terminals.