Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 01:23   #91
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: What size and type batteries do I need for a crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
Solar Generator
Any survival or power-related stuff with "patriot" in the name, using "Navy Seals" and that sort of marketing copy, is a scam, scam, scam just taking advantage of the low IQ and poorly educated folk out there.

If an evidence-based examination of whatever they're advertising here proves me wrong, I'll eat my hat.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 01:26   #92

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Sport, this is the result of the link you posted.
"It looks like nothing was found at this location."

Attention Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia, Hoss, If the http address fails again, then send me your Email Address and I'll Forward you the Entire Message that I received. I think this is going to be very well welcomed aboard any sea going yacht.

Chauncey M. "BUDDY" Freeman
Senior Chief Naval Purchasing Officer
The United States Navy, Retired
My Email Address: <Sailing4Jesus@gmail.com>
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 01:29   #93

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Attention Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia. See below the Entire address.
Senior Chief Freeman
Copt below exactly as it is seen below:

http://a.patriotpowergenerator.com/t...AFID=1095&aff_
sub=1176-20191116-s115c069T&aff_sub4=&aff_sub5=&email
=
Now that one works
Not sure how useful it would be on a boat but it is basically a lithium ion phosphate battery with solar panels and a mains charger. Still a good put together of existing components.
For what it's worth I tried again using the entire link you first supplied and it didn't work but the second one did just fine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 02:02   #94

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
This NEW Solar Generator MAY or MAY NOT be a welcome addition to any yacht. Personally, I do not have the required Electrical Engineering studies to give it a Thumbs Up, or a Thumbs Down. But just maybe there might be someone here on Cruisers Forum that might have the needed knowledge to rate it as GOOD or perhaps BAD. Click below under my Sign Out.
Nothing special. It's just a 10 Ah USB battery pack with a small 1.5 W solar "panel." You can buy a battery, a small panel, and a tube of adhesive on Amazon for about the same amount of money. Recharging the battery will take all day in good light and may never reach full charge. I expect they chose the panel for physical size and price point.

Here is one with twice as big a battery for less money: https://www.amazon.com/Taoxiwave-Cha...90524383&psc=1

I carry two battery packs in my go-kit. One is a relatively small 5000 mAh battery I got as a "thank you" for speaking at a trade show. My big one is 20000 mAh. On most boats I keep my phone charged from the boat. On long flights I have my laptop out and charge my phone from that. The battery mostly gets used on short flights and in airports when I can't find an outlet near a comfortable seat. I also lend them to crew when there are no power points in cabins. Lots of ways to charge the battery back up on a boat.

For the functionality I'd use a larger more powerful panel like https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Charge...39870496&psc=1 or https://www.rei.com/product/123283/g...IaAsinEALw_wcB .

For one's own boat I'd put the effort into lots of 12 VDC and USB power points. Much more efficient to use your house bank to keep personal devices charged. If you want solar get solar.

To my mind the listed product has limited use cases and is an expensive version of what is otherwise available.

Overall I give it a "Meh."

That said, never miss an opportunity to eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, charge something, or press up fuel and water. (tm)
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 02:25   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

As others pointed out, this patriots solar generator is nothing new and I agree that if it isn't an outright scam it is extremely misleading and seriously overpriced.

First this is NOT a generator per se but a pretty small battery with a pretty small solar panel to charge it that feeds a pretty small inverter. These guys are all over the internet and facebook claiming you can use this to cook and run your refrigerator when power fails. Could maybe run a frig for a couple of hours OR (not and) cook for a couple of minutes before draining the battery.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 08:40   #96
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And certainly nothing to do with the thread topic
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 09:38   #97

To put Nigel's comments in perspective, he reportedly is still using the Firefly's he got when they first came out. His testimonial is also still on BruceSchwabs site. I expect he would have had it taken down or amended if it didn't reflect his current views.
https://oceanplanetenergy.com/wp-con...nial-nigel.pdf
There are other test reports here: https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/

It is well known that Firefly had some bumps when they first moved production to India (although the problem ones were all swapped out under warranty). I believe one of Nigel's projects got tangled in this change.

I bought 8 Firefly's two years ago after being assured the India teething problems were sorted. All eight batteries have been problem free and two years later are still delivering slightly more than their rated amp hours. I have several cruiser friends with Firefly's who are similarly happy. None had any bad batteries.

The biggest problem with Firefly's has been availability. I waited almost six months for mine. But I just read that -- at least in the US -- there is now a good supply. With the US taken care of (Firefly's a US company) I expect availability will now rapidly improve in other parts of the world

If the OP can make 700-900AH fit, then high quality FLA's are probably his best option. If not, because Firefly's can be discharged to 80% you can fit more usable AH into a given space than 50% dischargeable FLA's (or regular AGM's which are unsuitable for cruisers who don't spend lots of time plugged into a marina). And since you buy fewer Firefly's, the total cost is not that different from premium FLA's.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, size