Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54   #16

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43
Re: What is your Real Amp Hour per Day Usage

Quick summary:
120 Ah/day on hook, fridge running 24/7
240 Ah/day cruising with full navigation, radar, autopilot plus fridge, all 24/7.

Posted more details here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2197890

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mbartosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:29   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
At anchor my draw is on average 4 AH, so 96AH ish

Underway if I have everything on (radar, autopilot, chartplotter foghorn etc) it's probably around 8-10ish? so say 200-250AH

Most of my setup is designed towards low draw stuff as I don't have a genny on board (and no room for one) so I don't have a watermaker, TV etc. I do have a fridge/freezer though which is ~3.0 of the 4 resting AH usage
Sigh!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:33   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Our actual Ah/ day are within 10% of our measured values, I think.

About 20 Ah / day anchored.
About 15 Ah / day sailing.
I assume that is what you meant, But who knows?
You may have meant that your average draw is 20 Amps on days when you are anchored and 15 Amps on days when you are sailing.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Dont we get caught up on the little things!.....I knew exactly what you meant Stevens 47.
Me, I pretty well do what Mark does with similar figures, batteries down approx 50-70 amps hrs in the morning according to amp hour counter, and yes I know they are not overly accurate.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You can't "count" amps.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:43   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Re # 4 and # 12
I think youse are out of line.... educating people on correct terminology can be done in a far more pleasant manner.

Back on track... on passage I don't know exactly what I use but I do know that my bats batteries stay charged using 130W of solar and my toad gen hydro powered generator. The latter puts in about 5 amps on a near constant basis... how many amps per day that is depends on how long the day is.....

The big dump resistor on the toad gen hydro powered generator - which takes the toad gen hydro powered generator output when the batteries are up to voltage - is a wonderful heat source .

Load consists of a bog standard Danfoss compressor cooling a poorly insulated fridge, fullish outfit of discrete instruments...wind/depth/speed/gps/ais, nav lights, cabin lighting, ship's PC constantly on, screen on as required, radio on as required. No autopilot. Nada mas.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:29   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The latter puts in about 5 amps on a near constant basis... how many amps per day that is depends on how long the day is.....
That would be 0 Amps per day, regardless of how long the day is.

It would only be a number other than zero if you were putting in more or less than 5 Amps at the end of the day.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:34   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Maybe we should start working in moles to avoid confusion
Old 10-09-2016, 04:57   #23

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Moles of what? Sulfuric acid or lead?
Thou even Ah is incorrect becouse some have battery banks with voltages other than ~12v. The correct physical quantity is wh for energy.. Just saying
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:03   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You can't "count" amps.
But I do StuM.....could be totally wrong but you know what, whatever im counting seems to be working for me......btw you will find my spelling and punctuation fairly average as well, after all I did fail year 10, its a wonder how I have made it this far successfully
Anyway back to fitting this new seacock and prop shaft, I hope I get it technically correct

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:03   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really know how many AH/day I use. I I know that I put in around 60-80 AH/day back into the batteries based on the solar controller log. In the morning the batteries are normally down 20-40 AH after having been at full charge in the late afternoon. I move onto the boat in a few days and expect to use another 20-30 AH/day then.

I never had been able to understand how some are using so much power during the day. Do you leave your lights on all day and the door to the frig open? Guess I'll find out soon.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:16   #26

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't really know how many AH/day I use. I I know that I put in around 60-80 AH/day back into the batteries based on the solar controller log. In the morning the batteries are normally down 20-40 AH after having been at full charge in the late afternoon. I move onto the boat in a few days and expect to use another 20-30 AH/day then.

I never had been able to understand how some are using so much power during the day. Do you leave your lights on all day and the door to the frig open? Guess I'll find out soon.
You will start out probably using the high side of your estimate. This will be due to opening and closing the fridge and freezer for cooking and drinking. Also, you will be loading "warm" foods/beverages into your fridge and freezer WAY more often as you buy food from the store (don't discount how much energy this takes). If you are in a hot location, then you will have fans on (MULTIPLE FANS... fans in every room, then more fans).

As time goes by your power consumption will increase as you become more comfortable. You will want ice/ice water (or cold beer). Popsicles or Freezies are nice when it super hot. You may want Internet (a laptop draws 4-10A). Many cruisers eventually purchase a TV and media player to have some entertainment.. ect.. ect... Remember, you want to actually "Live" on a boat, not just simply "Exist" on a boat!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:38   #27

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

It's really hard to say.. Like others, our solar and wind are being used not only to recharge the batteries but also to power other equipment directly - Basically anything that's on the same service bus. The shunt only tells us what's going into our out of the battery bank.

So we can't depend on the battery shunt to give us an accurate figure on the amount of Ah consumed.

I can say that I know how much specific equipment consumes... Such as my fridge and out Engel fridge. I estimate that we are using about 120 to 140 Ah a day after the installation of our new fridge.

I do know that in the morning we are down an average of 89 Ah each day, which roughly equates to the use of our fridges.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:10   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You can't "count" amps.
Stu you can count amps over time not specific rating of amps but just that a piece of equipment is using amps. Look at an hour meter on say a fridge it tells you how long a compressor has been running ( hours of operation ) by measuring when the item is drawing power .
Old 10-09-2016, 07:19   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

On my boat I use very little power. I usually have on one light in the main salon that is led and draws about 8 watts and is on for about 3 hours when in port or anchored. When sailing my Nav lights draw about 10 watts and my interior lights are on in red mode which draws about 3 watts. And is usually on for about 3 hours total during the night. So total is about 113 watt hours. Which breaks down to between 8 and 9 ah . So my batteries are fully charged whith about 3 hours of daylight on my solar panels. ( anchor light is independent solar light)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:24   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

I do know that in the morning we are down an average of 89 Ah each day, which roughly equates to the use of our fridges.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
That's a "new" frig? I have my large freezer and frig running all the time and wake up normally 20-40 ah out (depends on outside temps). Guess I never thought people had refrigeration that took over twice the power that mine takes.