Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 01:11   #1

What does battery DCH mean?

Hello,

I'm trying to understand some battery characteristics to help a friend with a problem he's having. I've some across the term DCH in the specs of the particular battery he is using but I can't find a definition of it anywhere, does anyone know what DCH stands for?

The battery brochure is attached if you want to see it in context.

Thanks in advance,

Aedan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GF12050V.pdf (76.3 KB, 192 views)
AedanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:15   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: What does battery DCH mean?

Discharge
Old 02-06-2017, 01:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

DisCHarge.

i.e. in the specs shown.

If discharged at the 5 hour rate, the battery will reach a 60% Depth of Discharge (DOD) when the "End of Discharge Voltage" = 1.98V and this will be after 3 hours ("Effective Discharge Time").
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56   #4

Obvious really, why didn't I see that?

Thanks to you both for sorting me out.

Aedan
Old 02-06-2017, 02:08   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
Obvious really, why didn't I see that?

Thanks to you both for sorting me out.

Aedan
It really is a completely unnecessary abreviation. They could have recycled some letters from an old PDF and reused them here if they were concerned about ink.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That's a pet peeve of mine. When they use an abbreviation like that, they should at least put a key at the bottom of the page so you can figure out what they are talking about.

If I'm writing a sentence, I try to spell it out fully with the abbreviation in parentheses the first time I use it. This is what Stu did in post three and we all knew he wasn't talking about the Department of Defence.

Later you can just use the abbreviation and everyone should know what you mean.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:05   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

So, HopCar doesn't refer to a special train car used for transporting hops for brewing?
(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:26   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
So, HopCar doesn't refer to a special train car used for transporting hops for brewing?
(G)
There is actually a story that goes with that. Back in the day of radio telegraphers on ships, they worked for the Marconi Wireless Service. The shipping companies would contract with Marconi for their service.

When someone on a ship wanted to send my Grandfather's company, Hopkins-Carter a telegraph, the Marconi people would address it to hopcar and the receiver would know it was for Hopkins-Carter Co. in Miami.

I won't say what Hellosailor brings to mind.
Old 02-06-2017, 13:00   #9

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

DCH . . . Don't Come Home? . . . like if you're inebriated
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 13:16   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

HopCar-
Actually, when telegrams did exist, Western Union charged the sender by the "word". Also known as the "Western Union word" because WU defined that as five characters plus one space, or six characters counting the spaces. So by addressing telegrams to "HopCar, Miami FL" instead of "Hopkins-Carter Marine Supplies & Fishing Tackle, Miami, Florida" they could save about 3/4 of the cost for just that portion of the telegram.
The creative use of abbreviations, to save money, and the use of commercial codes, to keep competitors from knowing about prices, arrivals, etc., was quite normal in telegraphy.
Which also ties into typewriters and how authors were generally paid. A normal type line was always 60 characters wide, a convenient ten words per line, and that's what you got billed or paid for, except for some publishers who actually counted WORDS and paid their authors based on that. More short words, higher payment.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 13:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
That's a pet peeve of mine. When they use an abbreviation like that, they should at least put a key at the bottom of the page so you can figure out what they are talking about.

If I'm writing a sentence, I try to spell it out fully with the abbreviation in parentheses the first time I use it. This is what Stu did in post three and we all knew he wasn't talking about the Department of Defence.

Later you can just use the abbreviation and everyone should know what you mean.
I write a lot of specs in work and I really try hard not to use abbreviations unless they are really clear. If they must be used then a glossary is a good idea. Defining them the first time is good for the guys who are reading the spec end to end but not so good for the person trying to reference just one section.

I don't think I would abbreviate Discharge to DCH anyway......
Old 02-06-2017, 16:35   #12

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I am in Australia. I find it difficult to read many of the posts because of the frequent use of abbreviations used my people from the United States Of America (USA).
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 16:46   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

At least I can read most of the posts here, unlike a lot of post on other sites, especially Facebook and Twitter and SMS text messages by today's youff.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 17:04   #14

Boat: Catalina 350

Amazing the amount of information on this site. Today I've learnt that Western Union used to be more than a money mover. Please keep up the history lessons, they are intriguing.

"BTW" it brings me back to a sign above the bar in a remote Scottish pub where they filmed the beach scenes for the movie Local Hero. The sign simply said "WYBMABIITY" so after a few nips I asked the bartender what it meant. She said "Will you by me a beer if I tell you" to which I agreed then she said that's what it meant. So I guess the bartenders there get lots of free beers!
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 18:13   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Day View Post
...... The sign simply said "WYBMABIITY" so after a few nips I asked the bartender what it meant. She said "Will you by me a beer if I tell you" to which I agreed then she said that's what it meant. So I guess the bartenders there get lots of free beers!

However the correct response to WYBMABIITY is DILLIGAF
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery