Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 09:28   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: What be a high capacity battery, and which with thickest plates?

Just putting in solar and a inverter. I have kept my Crown (Trojan clones) above 12.4 now for 5 years and they are still going great. 450 amp-hours for a 40 foot cruiser. The Lead plate thickness is available if you look hard enough. I just saw that Costco has Interstate "golf cart" batteries for 85 USD. May look at them next time.
Questions
Hydrocaps- anyone know of a current supplier?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Why 450 ah house bank? On our 42 we have a mere 185ah golf cart pair. That with 200 watts solar and full led lighting. Even the fridge don't draw us down to where we need anymore than that more batteries would be just more money, weight and more maintance. ( also have a dedicated 750 CCA starting battery for main diesel and a 165ah dedicated battery for the windless. Neither are used as part of house bank )
Here's the link to current supplier of the hydro vent caps but at $18 USD a pop. WOW
https://r-charge.3dcartstores.com/mo...-16_p_134.html
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 16:27   #18

Boat: H36

Using voltage to gauge battery capacity requires that you have no load on them for 24 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 16:54   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Using voltage to gauge battery capacity requires that you have no load on them for 24 hours.

One question where are you getting that resting time test requirement I got the following from yuesa batteries. " Static Battery Voltage Test

Prior to conducting this test, make sure the battery has not been recently charged. You must wait at least one hour after charging your battery to conduct this test.
Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
Read voltage and refer to the chart below.
Methods of Checking Battery Condition

State of
Charge Syringe
Hydrometer Digital
Voltmeter 5-Ball
Hydrometer
100% Charged
w/Sulfate Stop 1.280 12.80v 5 Balls Floating
100% Charged 1.265 12.60v 4 Balls Floating
75% Charged 1.210 12.40v 3 Balls Floating
50% Charged 1.160 12.10v 2 Balls Floating
25% Charged 1.120 11.90v 1 Balls Floating
0% Charged less than 11.80v here's the company site I quoted
Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's
Old 19-04-2015, 17:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
One question where are you getting that resting time test requirement I got the following from yuesa batteries. " Static Battery Voltage Test

Prior to conducting this test, make sure the battery has not been recently charged. You must wait at least one hour after charging your battery to conduct this test.
Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
Read voltage and refer to the chart below.
Methods of Checking Battery Condition

State of
ChargeSyringe
HydrometerDigital
Voltmeter5-Ball
Hydrometer
100% Charged
w/Sulfate Stop1.28012.80v5 Balls Floating
100% Charged1.26512.60v4 Balls Floating
75% Charged1.21012.40v3 Balls Floating
50% Charged1.16012.10v2 Balls Floating
25% Charged1.12011.90v1 Balls Floating
0% Chargedless than 11.80v here's the company site I quoted
Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's
Can't remember my source. I spent too many hours watch a digital voltmeter bouncing and trying to figure out condition of batteries. Found this to be a very accurate low cost solution.

Old 19-04-2015, 19:06   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

There was a youtube video (Mainesail maybe?) showing the voltage took 24 hours to stabilize after charging.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not sure about that I do know that the info I posted on is from a manufacturer of fla batteries
Old 19-04-2015, 22:04   #23

Quote:
Not sure about that I do know that the info I posted on is from a manufacturer of fla batteries
I only have Yuasa in my motorcycle (: the test I had was for golf cart batteries

Old 22-04-2015, 16:49   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Why 450 ah house bank? On our 42 we have a mere 185ah golf cart pair. That with 200 watts solar and full led lighting. Even the fridge don't draw us down to where we need anymore than that more batteries would be just more money, weight and more maintance. ( also have a dedicated 750 CCA starting battery for main diesel and a 165ah dedicated battery for the windless. Neither are used as part of house bank )
Here's the link to current supplier of the hydro vent caps but at $18 USD a pop. WOW
https://r-charge.3dcartstores.com/mo...-16_p_134.html
I am going to double that bank soon. Reason? I want to be able to go 2-3 days of cloudy weather without charging and still keep within 70- 80 % or so of capacity. Frig and Instraments-6amps/hour times 48=288amp hours. 900 amp hours- 30% of which is 336. Right now at 24 hours I need to charge (my Honda generator, abiet only a hour or two.)
Now I am going to:
Get rid of that old inefficient fridge and
Put in a newer inverter, which will draw less on standby.
BTW- if your battery charger uses an equalizing charge, don't waste your time with hydrocaps. It will melt the catalyst. I am looking into just a system for equalizing the fluid often. Will let you know how it goes.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 17:48   #25

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Sorry, I don't quite get the reference to "melt the catalyst". Did I miss something in all those chemistry classes? Platinum doesn't "melt" at the temperatures that are reached by batteries recharging or equalizing. Please substantiate this statement with actual physical facts. And, I don't equalize. I'm still using a desulfator to take care of that possibility. That, also, has substantiating evidence. Let's keep the discussion clear.

The other improvements you recommend are valid and proven. An efficient and well insulated reefer system makes obvious sense. 21st century electrical and electronic products are a smart move.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 18:32   #26

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Battery voltage while batteries are being used is not the best way to determine state of charge. Although many people do use it and I did for a couple of years.

Want you should have is a battery monitor, it takes the guess work out of it. A monitor like the Victron Bmv-600s is worth it in just peace of mind and it tells you a lot more than state of charge.

Check out Maine sail's site, ton of good info. Installing A Battery Monitor Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Old 22-04-2015, 21:36   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I am going to double that bank soon. Reason? I want to be able to go 2-3 days of cloudy weather without charging and still keep within 70- 80 % or so of capacity. Frig and Instraments-6amps/hour times 48=288amp hours. 900 amp hours- 30% of which is 336. Right now at 24 hours I need to charge (my Honda generator, abiet only a hour or two.)
Now I am going to:
Get rid of that old inefficient fridge and
Put in a newer inverter, which will draw less on standby.
BTW- if your battery charger uses an equalizing charge, don't waste your time with hydrocaps. It will melt the catalyst. I am looking into just a system for equalizing the fluid often. Will let you know how it goes.
You really do need to upgrade your fridge system if its using that much power our technautics holding plate only uses an average of 21 ah per day and everything else put together uses less than 10 ah per day. On a cloudy rainny day we get are full charged by noon. At least half of the 21 ah for the fridge are in the afternoon directly off the solar panels.
Old 23-04-2015, 05:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
BTW- if your battery charger uses an equalizing charge, don't waste your time with hydrocaps. It will melt the catalyst.
I don't think it is going to melt the catalyst, but the company does recommend removing the Hydrocaps when equalizing.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:02   #29

I understand money is a factor but why wet cell batteries in a boat? It makes no sense the acid and they smell. Get agm s they charge faster no smell no acid they don't even need a box. Master volt makes the best ones east pen make the best for the price ones. 8D is going to be the most amps for the money and less connections than using 31 s. I put east pen agm s in my boat 6 years ago and the are still going strong. I never let them fall bellow 60%.
Nlarsin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:41   #30

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlarsin01 View Post
I understand money is a factor but why wet cell batteries in a boat? It makes no sense the acid and they smell. Get agm s they charge faster no smell no acid they don't even need a box. Master volt makes the best ones east pen make the best for the price ones. 8D is going to be the most amps for the money and less connections than using 31 s. I put east pen agm s in my boat 6 years ago and the are still going strong. I never let them fall bellow 60%.

Nice batteries but $$$$ and heavy to move in and out. Also not availble at Sam's or Costco.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery