Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 11:19   #16

Re: Westerbeke 8Kw suddenly totally DEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
I did continuity test on the little 8amp fuse - has no continuity across it.
Why not replace the fuse and see if that solves the problem. It should certainly have continuity. It’s an inexpensive part, you really should have a couple spares on board, but you can get at any auto or hardware store.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you can't easily diagnose the genset then use the Honda and try to fix the alternator on the engine.
Gotta buy the Honda first.... cascading failure. Dinghy is a mess, new one does not arrive until tomorrow. May swim to shore, Uber to buy Honda, pirate/hijack a ride back to boat.
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 11:33   #18

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Easier to buy another 8A fuse, and it's easier to swim it back to the boat
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 12:02   #19

You have an over temp switch failure. The one that usually fails is attached to the thermostat housing. Remove the wires from that switch and connect them together. Replace the 8 amp fuse and the generator should run and charge your batteries. When you buy the replacement switch buy two it’ll do it again.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 12:08   #20

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Tspringer: It sounds like Joli is speaking from experience and is on to something. Not unlike the problem we had with the temp switch we had on our Northern Lights 16kw. Same symptoms and same diagnostic approach. Let us know if that helps.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 12:36   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a comment relative to alternators. I would not say they are "unreliable", exactly. We have blown diodes a couple of times in our 35 yrs. on the water. If you actually have an alternator problem, it will be lots easier to handle from a marina than having the boat basically disabled and at anchor. Are there moorings in the area? [I'd try to avoid the $170/night marina too!] Maybe your on its last legs dinghy would still get you ashore? Automotive alternator repair places can help you, and usually less $ than the night in the marina.

Would it be possible to do without the genset for the holidays--today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure--and still have a good time? [This is basically a needs vs. wants question, and everybody's different.]

Ann
Old 19-12-2019, 13:32   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

1) CHANGE THE FUSE! You have already told us there is no continuity, so it's blown. Change it and you may be good to go. You will have to do that anyway.

2) See if it's the overheating alarm circuit and jump it, as described, if necessary. I have had EXACTLY that failure on my Northern Lights.

3) Your diesel generator is way, way, more reliable and long lasting than the Honda. You seem to be itching to get that, but it's probably not necessary to get yourself back in action, cheaply and quickly. And you will have learned something abo it, which is a start.

4) Then start looking into your alternator. It's probably a cheap repair at aN alternator shop.

5) Best of luck with your new dinghy.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 15:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
You have an over temp switch failure. The one that usually fails is attached to the thermostat housing. Remove the wires from that switch and connect them together. Replace the 8 amp fuse and the generator should run and charge your batteries. When you buy the replacement switch buy two it’ll do it again.
No, he doesn't - the Preheat switch overrides the exh temp, water temp and oil pressure safety switches.

BTW, I found in the other version of the operator's manual a diagram that shows an 8A fuse, curiously in the stop circuit. I'd go with it being the problem - replace it and see how it goes.
Old 19-12-2019, 15:23   #24

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
We just got into West Palm Beach in our 2006 Beneteau 473 from St. Augustine overnight. Alternator is not charging - no idea why. Was going to work on figuring that out today... So that left us with just the Westerbeke 8kw genset to charge batteries...
(
Did the engine alternator and the gen set 'go out' simultaneously? Is it possible that you have a dead short somewhere else in the charging circuit?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 15:46   #25

Clipped the relevant part of the troubleshooting table - attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf troubleshooting table.pdf (41.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 19-12-2019, 18:15   #26

Joli -- You hit it out of the park!

I pumped up the dangy, suited up in full weather gear">foul weather gear and motored over to Palm Beach Sailing Club. Got an uber to local shop - bought the Honda EU2200i. Then to West Marine - got fuses and some other stuff. Back to PBSC, pump up the dangy again, back out to boat. The dangy at least should be dumpster bound tomorrow, got Amazon notice of delivery on new one tomorrow.

I replaced the 8amp fuse - tried preheat switch - nothing. Checked fuse, blown again. So I disconnected both wires to the overheat kill switch at the thermostat and with alligator clips connected them and tried the preheat switch - it turned on stuff. Replaced alligator clips with a jumper wire I made up, generator started right up and is running fine now. NOT running hot, great oil pressure, charging like a champ.

So I will try to find locally tomorrow 2 of these switches and if I cannot I will order them.

I had planned on buying the Honda anyhow, it was not bought just due to this issue. I am installing a 40GPH watermaker and then we're heading to the Bahamas for the winter. I plan to use the Honda to charge batteries daily and run the Westerbeke once or twice a week to charge batteries, make hot water and make fresh water all at the same time so we can run it loaded up. Next summer we will install solar panels, not doing that now because we need some warm weather beach time ASAP!

THANK YOU to everyone for all the help and understanding. It is truly awesome to be able to figure issues like this out even when exhausted and frustrated with the sort of help and guidance guys like all of you provide - it is greatly appreciated!
Old 28-12-2019, 14:24   #27

Well..... we ran the generator about another 6 hours after using the jumper wire on the thermostate high temp kills switch. It never ran hot and we had no issues. The last time I ran it there were no problems at all.

Yesterday morning I went to start it - nothing. Preheat switch works fine - start switch turns the generator motor over - it does not fire. Turns over.... will not start.

Sure am glad I bought the Honda! That is the only way we have to charge at all right now.

I'll post a new thread on the new issue. If this dang Westerbeke breaks down as often as it has so far I'm not sure what we will do. I am moving forward with changing the oil/filter and fuel filter plus installing the new thermostat kill switch I got. But I really am at something of a loss on what to try next...
Old 28-12-2019, 14:30   #28

Boat: Hylas 54

If the fuse has no continuity, then replace it. What's the big deal? Also, 12.6V is a bit low for a start battery. How old is it? Can you try jumping it with another battery?
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 14:35   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
If the fuse has no continuity, then replace it. What's the big deal? Also, 12.6V is a bit low for a start battery. How old is it? Can you try jumping it with another battery?
Your not reading the rest of the thread....

Original issue was fixed. Now Genset is broken with a new problem.

Breaks down about every 6-8 hours of run time.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:11   #30

Your battery is weak and should be replaced. I have the same unit and have encountered the same second issue. The fuel solenoid is sometimes not pulled fully to the run position due to weak bettery. Workaround is to manually push the solenoid rod to the left while cranking.

By the way, sometimes the 20 amp on engine breaker button has to be pushed quite hard to reset. Otherwise, Great genset if you maintain it properly and keep battery voltage above 12.8.
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke