Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 08:52   #16

Re: Westerbeke 8.0BTDA - Voltage Drop Under Load

I did not realize that the rpm was dropping that much.
The manual governor (speed control ) normally has an adjustment to adjust speed droop If the change is consistent, then it may be a matter of a linkage adjustment. Did this condition occur gradually or a step change? A broken preload spring could cause this problem
lorenzoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:21   #17

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53

Lorenzo,

The genset has had the problem since the boat came to us.

There is certainly an adjustment to control generator RPMs. I have tinkered with that to change the no load speed of the genset. The issue is how much it drops under load.

I am in agreement that either the weights in the governor or the springs require service/replacement. I just haven't had the time to tackle this problem just yet.

In the meantime, I'll continue gathering information.

Someone with this specific genset must have experienced the same problem.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoj View Post
I did not realize that the rpm was dropping that much.
The manual governor (speed control ) normally has an adjustment to adjust speed droop If the change is consistent, then it may be a matter of a linkage adjustment. Did this condition occur gradually or a step change? A broken preload spring could cause this problem
flippercarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 05:57   #18

Boat: Defever 42 trawler

I have the same generator and the same problem. 8 BTD. The governor set speed is easy enough to control by adjusting the solenoid pushrod length.
But, under load, it varies about 10Hz across 4.5kW: well within appropriate operating load, so that seems like a "weak" governor response.
Seems like the governor needs more authority or in control systems lingo, more gain. I don't know what it is yet, but will post when I do. Meanwhile, if you've resolved it, I'd love to hear.

A fuel filter or electrical adjustment both sound wrong to me.
mark krebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, westerbeke