Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 15:41   #1

Boat: Hanse 458
Watt & Sea - POD 600 Hydrogenerator

Hello everyone!

I've recently purchased a Hanse 458 which is fitted with a genset. I want to install a second means of power generation on board but being a brand new boat I'm reluctant to stick ugly solar panels all over it or have a wind turbine wizzing around my head. I like the Watt & Sea products and am considering installing the Watt & Sea POD 600 (https://www.wattandsea.com/en/produc...o-cruising-600).

I've heard mixed reviews about hydro generators. Some people love them and have no problems and some people loath them.

My question is for people who have gone for the Watt & Sea POD600. Have you been happy with it and has it performed as expected? What issues have you had and would you recommend it to other sailors? Is there anything I need to watch out for or consider?

Thanks in advance!

Wally
HurricaneWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 02:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Watt & Sea - POD 600 Hydrogenerator

What are your sailing plans? How much time do you plan to spend underway?

Good for ocean crossings, not so much so if you spend a lot of time anchored/moored/docked.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:24   #3

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneWally View Post
Hello everyone!

I've recently purchased a Hanse 458 which is fitted with a genset. I want to install a second means of power generation on board but being a brand new boat I'm reluctant to stick ugly solar panels all over it or have a wind turbine wizzing around my head. I like the Watt & Sea products and am considering installing the Watt & Sea POD 600 (https://www.wattandsea.com/en/produc...o-cruising-600).

I've heard mixed reviews about hydro generators. Some people love them and have no problems and some people loath them.

My question is for people who have gone for the Watt & Sea POD600. Have you been happy with it and has it performed as expected? What issues have you had and would you recommend it to other sailors? Is there anything I need to watch out for or consider?

Thanks in advance!

Wally

I’ve had a catamaran with solar, dual wind gens and transom hydrogenerator. The hydrogenerator was the most troublesome, then came the wind generators. I absolutely loved the solar panels.

Hydrogenerator are only good when sailing, which is usually a very small percentage of cruising time. Also, I’ve been told that the pods transmit noise/vibration to the hull. Wind generators start producing at 6+ knots, if I remember correctly. They can be very noisy depending on the installation and brand.

My recommendation is that you reconsider solar as your backup power source. Solar, except for occasional cleaning, is trouble free.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 06:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Good points above.

A lot depends on where you sail. We are in the Caribbean November to June. The wind is 98% east at 15-22 knots. Sun is high and bright in southern latitudes and generally clear. We spend 95% of our time on anchor. Our solar is great with 660 watts and this is mostly enough. With an MPPT controller and high voltage cells you can generate about 10 hours on a good day. I run the generator about three hours per week. There are a lot of choppers in the Caribbean but we do not yet have one, debating. They are lower watts as you know but 24 hours.

If you cruise north it is not as easy for solar as the lower angle is not helpful. You must have tilting panels to aim at the sun.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 09:24   #5

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

No doubt a hydrogenerator is useful for long voyages, however, a high quality wind generator will do the same thing, day and night, under power, and at anchor. My six-blade Airmaax regularly churns out 20 amps in 20 knots with only a faint hum. Admittedly, my four solar panels (440w) will produce more power when the sun is shining, and are cheaper per watt, but when the trade wind blows and it's cloudy, or at night, the wind generator comes out on top....
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:09   #6

Boat: Freedom 32

Wally, welcome to CF!
Old 27-09-2019, 15:51   #7

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

I towed an Aquair water generator across the Pacific a few years ago and it seemed to average 4/5 amps mostly for 24 hours a day. No noise. I would use it again for any long voyage. No special hardware needed either. You tow a propeller on a shaft attached to some rope or wire.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 20:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
I towed an Aquair water generator across the Pacific a few years ago and it seemed to average 4/5 amps mostly for 24 hours a day. No noise. I would use it again for any long voyage. No special hardware needed either. You tow a propeller on a shaft attached to some rope or wire.

You only averaged four fifths of an amp? That's not much
Old 27-09-2019, 20:58   #9

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You only averaged four fifths of an amp? That's not much
Sorry..... 4 to 5 amps !!! or should I say 4.5 amps. I'm an idiot
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 21:18   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

I would install hydrogenerator only for ocean crossing.
In coastal sailing or island hopping it will be immobilized most of the time.
Old 28-09-2019, 09:08   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

I agree that a hydrogenerator is rather for long passages, not for daily use. That is why I install the Watt & Sea 600 on a bracket so that we can remove it easily.
I didn't choose the POD because it would mean it stays in the water permanently. And the propeller is one of the most fragile parts of it, or can get fooled. Even Watt & Sea advised me not to use the POD if you can do otherwise.
Since our cat will be delivered in 2 weeks from now, I can't tell you any more than why I made my choice.
And indeed, solar will be our main power source (2,1kWp).
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:10   #12

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

In the last Volvo , one yacht (I cant remember) talked about generating 90% of his power with hydro . I have considered it but as I have so much solar it does not make sense , We can recover from deficits after we anchour for a few days . The keys are your usage ,cruising style and finally location .
Old 28-09-2019, 10:54   #13

Boat: Outremer 51

We circumnavigated with a Watt & Sea 600. It is a great system. I am a big fan of it, but it does require attention. I don't think I would want it in the water all the time. Get the version with the bracket so you can remove it and change the prop and service it when needed. There are 3 prop sizes and I change props depending on the boat speed I expect on the leg. The company is also very helpful and responsive when you contact them by email if you have questions.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 20:51   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
In the last Volvo , one yacht (I cant remember) talked about generating 90% of his power with hydro . I have considered it but as I have so much solar it does not make sense , We can recover from deficits after we anchour for a few days . The keys are your usage ,cruising style and finally location .

How many cruisers make the average 25 knots or so that the Volvo racers do?
Old 28-09-2019, 22:32   #15

Boat: Amel 50
Watt & Sea - POD 600 Hydrogenerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
How many cruisers make the average 25 knots or so that the Volvo racers do?

You can change the pod propeller so that it starts generating at slower speeds, like 2-9 kts. There are 4 propellers available for different cruising speed ranges.

https://www.wattandsea.com/index.php...oires/p-280-03
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator