Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 08:45   #1

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Waterproof outboard battery disconnect

So, I've got a new outboard (Tohatsu 15hp) with electric start. Love it.

I've wired the battery cables to one of these connectors - but they are definitely not waterproof. The ad on Amazon claims

"superior resistance to wear, corrosion, water, and heat for its full service life"

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTec.../dp/B074J5DS33

But now that I have it, I can definitely see that it is not waterPROOF. Luckily, I am on SoCal for now and it is the dry season, so no chance of rain for the next month or two, but long term, this is not going to work for me.

I am looking for something better. I have heard that Deutsch connectors are completely waterproof, but I cannot find one big enough for the 6awg wire I am using.

Suggestions please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-connector.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	278819  
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 08:54   #2

Re: Waterproof outboard battery disconnect

This is the outboard - you can see the connector. There's a matching one on the battery which I store in a cockpit locker when not in use.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2003.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	278893  
Old 29-07-2023, 10:01   #3

This outboard is for a dinghy/inflatable? I would just use that connector, make sure the metal bits are nicely coated with dielectric grease, and arrange the cabling so that the connection can be parked under the dinghy bench. Or maybe some sort of sleeve that can be slid over the connector when mated. The provided caps should be adequate protection when the connectors aren't mated.

The connectors are silver-plated. The wiping action of connecting/disconnecting should keep the contact surfaces clean. Rain won't bother them as much as saltwater. Regrease as necessary.
Old 29-07-2023, 12:04   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

I have been using those on our Yamaha 15/20hp 4S in wet weather for 9 months (full time cruisers) now with minimal issues. Fill full of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Occasionally I will need to unplug and replug in to remove any grime in the connection.

I'm probably going to upgrade to the genuine Anderson connectors as the springs that hold the contacts are uncoated steel on the amazon version and are beginning to rust.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 12:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJ87 View Post
I have been using those on our Yamaha 15/20hp 4S in wet weather for 9 months (full time cruisers) now with minimal issues. Fill full of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Occasionally I will need to unplug and replug in to remove any grime in the connection.

I'm probably going to upgrade to the genuine Anderson connectors as the springs that hold the contacts are uncoated steel on the amazon version and are beginning to rust.
Interesting. The contacts on the one I have appear to be tinned - the Link I posted above was not the exact one I used, it just looks similar, this is the one I actually have. Not sure if it is actually different, they look identical which is why I didn't bother to find the original link. Not sure the quality of the contacts, but they do look like they are tinned.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J5DS33

Do you have a link for the genuine Anderson product?

Thanks for your post, very helpful. Before I use it again I will fill it with dialectic grease and monitor it carefully.
Old 29-07-2023, 16:23   #6

The SPRINGS that hold the contacts are the problem, not the contacts themselves.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 17:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
The SPRINGS that hold the contacts are the problem, not the contacts themselves.
Thanks. Why gets me back to wondering what other options exist which are actually waterproof...

PS. I came across this just now.
https://powerwerx.com/sb50-corrosion-proof-safety-boot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	corrosion-proof-safety-boot-for-sb50-amp-housings__6078_580.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	278913  

Tags
battery, outboard, water