Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2023, 11:33   #16

Boat: Hudson Force 50
Re: Water Maker

Okay, that is super helpful. I am not well versed in the world of electrical anything.
As a ketch, I am super limited on solar availability. Even if I wasn’t, I am afraid of the air conditioning and water maker robbing my batteries too excessively and essentially using up cycle life.
That being said, I would like to think that the air conditioning would be used more than a few month a year. Even so, a 7.5kW Cummins at 75% load and up will burn close to a gallon/hour. Multiply that by 24 hours, and then 30 days in a month at $5-8 gallon, we’re talking about $1800+ per month !
So the DC equipment is something I wanted to hear about, and am super grateful for the help on this forum.
-Don’t get me wrong. Sailors have been without these comforts since time began, but I would like to make it less than stifling for the comfort of others as well.
I might be able to squeeze a 9kW in my engine compartment. The 7.5kW is going to be tight as it is. I

I was thinking Cummins as a first choice, or Nothern Lights as a runner up. Any thoughts are welcome!
HudosonForce50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:08   #17

Can anyone recommend A/C air conditioning and an A/C modular water maker with a factory flushing system? Quality is important. I’d rather spend a little more for the better product.
Old 05-01-2023, 12:29   #18

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudosonForce50 View Post
Okay, that is super helpful. I am not well versed in the world of electrical anything.
As a ketch, I am super limited on solar availability. Even if I wasn’t, I am afraid of the air conditioning and water maker robbing my batteries too excessively and essentially using up cycle life.
That being said, I would like to think that the air conditioning would be used more than a few month a year. Even so, a 7.5kW Cummins at 75% load and up will burn close to a gallon/hour. Multiply that by 24 hours, and then 30 days in a month at $5-8 gallon, we’re talking about $1800+ per month !
So the DC equipment is something I wanted to hear about, and am super grateful for the help on this forum.
-Don’t get me wrong. Sailors have been without these comforts since time began, but I would like to make it less than stifling for the comfort of others as well.
I might be able to squeeze a 9kW in my engine compartment. The 7.5kW is going to be tight as it is. I

I was thinking Cummins as a first choice, or Nothern Lights as a runner up. Any thoughts are welcome!
We cruise the winter season in Florida and Bahamas with ambient temperatures in 70s and into 80s. Sailboats have very good ventilation. Never use the air conditioners while under way or at anchor. Do use them at the dock on shore power in the summer. Have power boat friends that run the air conditioners all the time and you are correct, the generator never shuts off.

Northern Lights gen sets are well regarded by cruisers. Cummins (Onan), less so (let’s see what fire I draw from Onan owners). I’ve owned two Onans, and the printed circuit board controls can be problematic. I currently have an 8.5 kw Phasor with Kubota engine and 1% voltage regulated gen, no circuit boards and 5 year warranty. Ten years service and over 800 hours, no issues. Easy to self service.

Lastly would strongly encourage before investing in any of your proposed upgrades, go out cruising now to see what your cruising style may be. Yes you will not be able to enjoy your upgraded comforts, but may find that extended time at anchor not for you. You may not really need air conditioning at anchor. You may also find as I did that long ocean passages not as expected (got beat up a couple times, we now wait for weather and corresponding calm sea state before making ocean passages. Also don’t do well standing watches for any length of time). Then you’ll have a better idea of how to outfit your boat.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:33   #19

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Can anyone recommend A/C air conditioning and an A/C modular water maker with a factory flushing system? Quality is important. I’d rather spend a little more for the better product.
Take a look at Flagship Marine for air conditioning.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 14:37   #20

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Yes, my boat is a Hudson Force 50, and am currently in the sea of Cortez.

As of last night, I am looking at Spectra Ventura 150R water maker. I like it for its low power consumption (12v DC 9A. 17 watts per gallon) and that it has a factory flush. The only thing that is not awesome is the price.

Regarding air conditioning, the Frigomar from Italy got my attention. I was thinking a 16,000 + 12,000. Again, the only thing that is not awesome is the price.

If anyone has opinions on either of those manufacturers please chime in. Or, any suggestions regarding other manufacturers I am all ears. Cheers!

You may be interested in the Facebook HudsonForce50 page.

https://www.facebook.com/hudsonforce...lPITVjxms&_rdr
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 18:03   #21

Thank you kindly for the thoughtful consideration! However i was a sailing instructor and racer through out high school on the coast of Maine.

After graduating I crewed on Mega Yachts for 15 years, working my way up to Captain.

I left yachting to be a OSV captain in the oilfield for a few years, and am writing this thread while drifting in the off of Tortugas, awaiting orders for our next load of diesel/gasoline. (I am working on an oil tanker).

Rain or shine, 24/7 we tie up, hook up hoses and try not to make the news. We often work 6 hours on/off for months at a time.

My boat is on a mooring right now, and it’s a lovely change from the curious eyes of the marina. Im getting very close to getting to French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Figi, NZ, Vietnam…the world dream!!! Just trying to fine tune my Hudson.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:19   #22

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

HudosonForce50

What a dream! I've traveled and worked out in the Pacific and loved it!

AND you couldn't have picked a prettier looking yacht.

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:31   #23

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Can a water maker be powered by DC and AC via generator?
We have a Rainman water maker it runs off of out Honda EU2200, check their site for the various options they make available,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:42   #24

https://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/serie-ac-dc-duo/

This what you’re looking for. 2 years use… works wonderfully.
Solong. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:46   #25

Quote:
Hello all! I am new here and am a new owner. Are there any Modular water makers that can be powered by DC and AC generator that have factory flushing systems?

I’m also questioning power ideas for the following upgrades:
-New Generator 7.5kw Cummins
-Modular Water Maker 12v? 24? 48v? A/C? Both?
-1200 BTU + 1600 BTU air conditioning units-vessel DOES NOT HAVE or ever had air conditioning.
-New Electronic Plotting System
-New closed circuit Freezer
Victron Inverter/Charger(s) 12v 3000 Quattro & 24 or 48v? 5000 or 10,000 Quattro.
-Many LiFePro Batteries…

I was thinking of keeping the house at 12v for simplicity, and ramping up a bank for the heavy hitters like air conditioning and water maker. I also want to be able to use power tools such as sanders and routers for occasional projects.

The objective is yo limit/avoid spending money on diesel. Considering a wind generator on the Mizzenmast and a few more solar panals.

Right now I have (4) 150 watt semi flexible panels, 4 lead acid house batteries and 2 separate starter lead acid batteries for engine with Victron controller.

Any insight would be great!

Take a look at RainMaker. They actually advertise on this Forum. They have a portable unit that uses a Honda Generator (as part of the kit) produces 9GPH. They also have a 12v unit that produces 9 GPH using ab out 27 amh. They have a full line.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:00   #26

Boat: Taswell 43

We sail a 43' monohull, and have a setup similar to what you describe...we have a 6.5kve Onan genset, solar, windgen, a 12v DC system powered by 6 Trajan T-105s set up as 3- 12v batts+ a start batt, a 16k and 12k aircons, and a ac-powered refer system. The Admiral very much prefers her elect stove, so we built our system around running the genset daily. Our watermaker is a Rich Boron 's CruiseRO 30gph watermaker; it uses AC (hi-press pump) and DC(-boost pump). It comes modular, and you install it into your boat yourself-not that tough, I did it and it's worked great for 7 years now. The watermaker is all common-read non proprietary-components, all typically readily available.....and his after-market support is second to none, 24-7. If you want an auto rinse system, he offers that, too (we bought it, but have never used it!)
Typically, just to compare, we run our genset 2x/day, morning and supper time, for about an hour, maybe 2, each time. We recharge the refer+frzr, make coffee, cook, recharge the batts, and once each 4-5 days make water. We almost never run our aircons, unless it's really still, hot, and sultry...or we're in a marina; but they are there if/when we want to use them. The genset burns about 0.3gph, under load. so its fuel consumption is minimal. We put this sytsem together starting in 2003; the watermaker was installed some 7 years ago. For us it works well, as is. We are, however, looking at a 12v refer/frzr system, as our open-wheel comp. system is now some 23 years old, R22 is minimally available, and it's showing its age. and no, I do not work for CruiseRO.....just a happy customer!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:12   #27

Boat: Pearson 386

You have a lot questions, I think you be best off setting aside a couple of days to visit one of the elite boat shows. I would suggest Miami, or Hamburg.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:15   #28

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

I have a rainman watermaker with factory autoflush. They make a number of different power options, and are easy to maintain and priced competitively.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:26   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solong. View Post
https://www.dessalator.fr/en/products/serie-ac-dc-duo/

This what you’re looking for. 2 years use… works wonderfully.
Very expensive and since cruisers are generally tighter with money than the Scots, can't see those becoming popular.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prix-Dessalinisateurs-toute-gamme-2023-EN-1.pdf (48.2 KB, 25 views)
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:45   #30

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I sailed from Cape Town to Barbados a few years ago with a 6 gal/hr dc modular water maker powered with excess power from the MPPT solar controller - after the solar filled the 1200 Ah bank, it diverted solar power to the water maker.

We had 4 on board, showered daily, and supported a Splendide washer/dryer.

We seldom had to even turn the water from automatic (excess solar power) to ON (power from batteries).

We did conserve water with shorter showers and such, but we never tapped our reserve water or had the main supply go under 200 liters - the water make quietly kept up with no attention.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water