Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 16:24   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Any wash machines with thermistors need a pure sine, not a quasi sine wave to work
sorry anjou, as an electronics engineer could you explain that one to me..

As to European machines, ie side loading, cold fill, condersor dryers. Well firstly these machine for the wash cycle use very little water , typically 40-55 litres, in the wash cycle. The all now use cold fill to support the new low temperature washing powders ( down to 15 degrees c), as a hot fill makes the machine unable to regulate the wash temperature. ALso its more efficient in a household situation to heat a small amount of water for the washing machine. Machines with a fastwash cycle can do washes in 15-20 minutes. ( for lightly soiled clothing ,whcih is mostly what you get sailing anyways).

If you are looking at buying one, forget the integrated dryer types, the condensor system ( which works quite well) is a bit slow and uses a lot of water.

Buy a good quality one, so that you get the benefit of the lowest power and shortest sequence and lowest water use. Some machines will accept a hot water feed, and many still have both hot and cold feeds present, but a "Y" piece is used. Some smart machines will however refuse to work with hot feeds.

Lots of makes are chineese manufactured, most of which are not robust or have long wash cycles.

Typically your average power usage ( not drying) is about 1Kw/h with the machine using around2-2,5Kw max ( when heating). Since you can use low temp powders, heating requirments can be kept low, and infact cold water can be used now for most low stain washes.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 16:41   #17
cruiser

I find that in warm dry summer weather I can wash clothes in a bucket in far less time and get them far cleaner than any laundromat can. I wash them in soapy fresh water first, then rinse them in the ocean, which has far more rinse water than any washer delivers, getting them far cleaner. Then I find rinsing the salt out with limited fresh water is far easier than rinsing soap out. Then hanging it in the rigging gets them quickly dry for far less effort and cash
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 16:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
This bad boy works wonders... (sorry)
There really is no excuse for this unit to not be aboard every boat. Beats the hell out of the plunger and bucket during passages hands down. I wouldn't use it as my primary washer while at dock due to limited load capacity, but it's invaluable as a zero energy secondary washer whilst underway.

For the OP, take a good look at these units. They are good on water usage and energy: Innovative Washing: The Reliable Washer Dryer Combo Experts
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 16:43   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Brent , I have done the same, and on a 2-3-4 day sail it works well. But on longer ones the salt tends to accumlate and things like bedsheets become a problem. ALso I find a washer handy in marinas, as laudromats can be expensive. horses for courses
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 16:50   #20
cruiser

I use laundromats in rainy BC winters, but far less in dry summer weather.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 17:16   #21

There was some boat, IIRC the Pearson 424, which had a moulded tub under the shower seat. The idea was to put the washing in there and go to sea, let nature do the job for you.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 19:59   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Personally here in the tropics/equatorial regions we like the group "dinghy stomp." After an afternoon deluge you raft up 4 dinghies that filled with rain water. You put your dirty clothes in the first one with soap powder and proceed to stomp the heck out of them. Then transfer them to the next dinghy for first rinse and the third dinghy for final rinse. Then on to the last dinghy were two of you do the twist wringing them dry. System works better with liberal access to rum and cokes or beers. For more fun we also add the clothes we are wearing and increase the alcohol ratio. However, a few have fallen out of the final twisting dinghy into the sea and then we have to start all over again.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 20:29   #23

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I had one of those washing things, works great! That is what I plan to use on the cruise someday. Unless you have a big boat with lots of power it is probably your best bet.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 20:51   #24

Boat: PETERSON 44
My grandfather had a rag wringer. Basically it was 2 adustable rollers with a crank that pressed the rag dry almost. I want one for my boat laundry.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13   #25

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Personally here in the tropics/equatorial regions we like the group "dinghy stomp." After an afternoon deluge you raft up 4 dinghies that filled with rain water. You put your dirty clothes in the first one with soap powder and proceed to stomp the heck out of them. Then transfer them to the next dinghy for first rinse and the third dinghy for final rinse. Then on to the last dinghy were two of you do the twist wringing them dry. System works better with liberal access to rum and cokes or beers. For more fun we also add the clothes we are wearing and increase the alcohol ratio. However, a few have fallen out of the final twisting dinghy into the sea and then we have to start all over again.
I think I'm gona have to give up the bucket. This sounds much better!
There is so much useful information on this forum!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:58   #26

We had a Wonder Washer a decade ago and couldn't find any where to stow it; it took up more room than it earned. I banished it from the boat.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:46   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Washing clothing without power” in the Post Apocalyptic World:

Part 1 ➥

Part 2 ➥

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing