Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10   #16

Boat: Monk/McQueen 45' - 1961 Trawler
Re: Washing Machine on an inverter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
how many AH do you avg with a wash? how long do those things run. an hour? 1500w for an hour is crazy for an inverter...
I would estimate around 140-150Ah for a complete wash/dry cycle. Even during the dry cycle, the heater is only on for a portion of the time - cycling on and off to keep the heat up.

We plan on around 3hrs or so for a complete cycle.
thomasow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:33   #17

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

May be of interest - running a " household ', washing machine and dishwasher, Seemed to be no problem with inverter 240VAC power. However , it took me 2 years to realise that the solenoid water control , to the machines, was causing hydraulic lock ,' hammer ', in the F/water system of the boat . This was blowing the seals on the Whale 24 VDC , pump. Tried NR valves and surge chambers , no solution. Changed pump to a " Household " , 240VAC- end of gorey story !!
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:08   #18

I would suggest 1800 watt -2000 watt pure sine wave Most electronic controls in the wash machine don't operate on square wave inverters. Solarsam
solarsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:24   #19

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter. It produces nominally 3000 watts, but actually 3000VA, which reading the fine print is 2500 watts on a good day, less if very hot.

I run my Eumenia Sparmeister off it all the time, but of course with the engine running, while motoring in calm weather. Wash and dry cycles take maybe 100 minutes together. School bus alternator produces max about 2.8kW, maybe 1.5 -- 2 at low engine speeds.

Works great; no problems.
Dockhead,

I think this was unintentional, but you mentioned that you were motoring, and I see that you have a Moody. Just over the local horizon from this topic, Moodys and Oysters are taking direct fire for engaging in the practice.

We have a Spledide which we haven't started using yet, as it has a leaking pressure pump, and holds last place on my punch list. It was originally built into a space outboard the aft shower stall, and will not pass (too wide) through the companionway from the aft head into the aft stateroom for disassembly, so it and I have an intimate date lined up. Wife will probably go run some errands.

I thought about the power usage, and am thinking, since these run on AC, why it wouldn't be better to just run it off the generator, using that time to top off the batteries at the same time (we have a Xantrex 2000 with 100 amp out).

Related power observation-

These engine driven alternators get mighty hot, since they are only air cooled. They can melt their output connectors, and unless you are motoring anyway, are not the best way to put hours on the prime plant. I noticed you said you were motoring anyway, and you have a larger alternator

So the question is this-is it better to run a generator for the washer load, and charge batteries at the same time (and maybe use the watermaker) ? Our boat has a stock 75 amp Yanmar alternator, and I'm loathe to upgrade it to a 150, since the size of those is not much larger, the load on the front pulley is going to increase significantly, with dual belts, and there is already an engine driven freezer compressor hanging off of it.

SV Voyager
Taswell 49 #21
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 13:28   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Ran our appliances and wood working tools like a table saw off a 3000 watt inverter for years. No problems except the high start up demand spike meant we could only run one large appliance at a time. Some of those appliances are still running strong after more than 10 years running off the inverter and another decade hooked onto the grid. As long as you can meet the start up demand, you should be fine. One problem is some electronic controllers don't like square wave inverter output. The simpler the appliance, the better.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:37   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Dockhead,

I think this was unintentional, but you mentioned that you were motoring, and I see that you have a Moody. Just over the local horizon from this topic, Moodys and Oysters are taking direct fire for engaging in the practice.

We have a Spledide which we haven't started using yet, as it has a leaking pressure pump, and holds last place on my punch list. It was originally built into a space outboard the aft shower stall, and will not pass (too wide) through the companionway from the aft head into the aft stateroom for disassembly, so it and I have an intimate date lined up. Wife will probably go run some errands.

I thought about the power usage, and am thinking, since these run on AC, why it wouldn't be better to just run it off the generator, using that time to top off the batteries at the same time (we have a Xantrex 2000 with 100 amp out).

Related power observation-

These engine driven alternators get mighty hot, since they are only air cooled. They can melt their output connectors, and unless you are motoring anyway, are not the best way to put hours on the prime plant. I noticed you said you were motoring anyway, and you have a larger alternator

So the question is this-is it better to run a generator for the washer load, and charge batteries at the same time (and maybe use the watermaker) ? Our boat has a stock 75 amp Yanmar alternator, and I'm loathe to upgrade it to a 150, since the size of those is not much larger, the load on the front pulley is going to increase significantly, with dual belts, and there is already an engine driven freezer compressor hanging off of it.

SV Voyager
Taswell 49 #21
"I think this was unintentional, but you mentioned that you were motoring, and I see that you have a Moody. Just over the local horizon from this topic, Moodys and Oysters are taking direct fire for engaging in the practice."

I am not ashamed of motoring whenever I feel like it. I am lucky to live in the latitudes of plenty of wind, though, so most of my miles are made under sail. I migrate between the UK and Finland and back every year (1500 miles each way), so those are a lot of miles in any case.

I have a 110 amp x 24v (= more than 2.5kw) Leece-Neville school bus alternator, besides the standard Yanmar 12v alternator. That alternator is hot rated; nothing like car type alternators not designed for bulk production of power. Driven by dual belts and quite happy to be run continuously at high loads.

I could use my generator instead, but I like to use the main engine and get a bit of propulsion besides the electrical power, on a long passage under sail, just the time to run a load of laundry. Or if motoring in a calm, or motorsailing. It makes little difference, as either power source will do for bulk power. On my boat anyway. YMMV.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 22:30   #22

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

We have a 120V machine on board and it runs fine on the inverter. If you have a 240V inverter output you should be OK.

But, just a little curious why you chose a 240V machine - are there any cruising boats that have 240V systems?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 00:03   #23

Boat: Sunbeam 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
But, just a little curious why you chose a 240V machine - are there any cruising boats that have 240V systems?
us Europeans all have 240v systems for shore power & hence 240v appliances.
My Generator also pumps out 240v for use onboard.
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, washing