Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 20:41   #1

Volvo penta Tamd40a tacho.

Hi am new on here, i have a 26ft mariner pacer flybridge.
And i have been trying to upgrade/repair the instrument panel because its all old and deteriorated.

I bought and new aftermarket tachometer now my problem is the old one has two inputs for the sensor ( G & W ) the new tacho only has one sensor input, i am hoping one is only an earth, the wiring diagram i have doesnt help much. And the engine being old it is hard to find information on it.

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me out

Regards
Kel
91Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Volvo penta Tamd40a tacho.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kel.
I expect you're correct, that the Green wire is Negative Ground.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 18:50   #3

So this is the wiring diagram i have, from what i can see the tacho sensor(#19) on the motor has 2 wires and they both go up to the gauge and plug into pins 'G' and 'W' in the back of the gauge.

The new guage only has one sensor input, can i just connect one wire to the guage and put the other to earth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_110605.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	236665   Click image for larger version

Name:	16186239818668594224807820692812.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	236666  

Click image for larger version

Name:	16186240453917033591344879861524.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	236667  
Old 16-04-2021, 19:29   #4

The tach sender on the Tamd 40 engine is an inductive sender, and it basically counts the teeth on the injection pump drive gear and sends a pulse to the tach every time a tooth passes the tip of the sender. To generate the pulse both leads from the sender need to create a complete circuit, basically one leg out, one leg back.

Whether this can happen with the tach that you have, of course depends on the internal circuitry of the tach, and probably the manufacturer of the tach can tell you whether it’s possible, and how to wire it.

Off the top of my head I think there are 30 pulses per crankshaft revolution generated by the sender on your engine.

If you’re interested, I think I have an original new tach for a 40 series engine, and maybe a complete new panel. Have to check...
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 21:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
The tach sender on the Tamd 40 engine is an inductive sender, and it basically counts the teeth on the injection pump drive gear and sends a pulse to the tach every time a tooth passes the tip of the sender. To generate the pulse both leads from the sender need to create a complete circuit, basically one leg out, one leg back.

Whether this can happen with the tach that you have, of course depends on the internal circuitry of the tach, and probably the manufacturer of the tach can tell you whether it’s possible, and how to wire it.

Off the top of my head I think there are 30 pulses per crankshaft revolution generated by the sender on your engine.

If you’re interested, I think I have an original new tach for a 40 series engine, and maybe a complete new panel. Have to check...

Ok thanks for the information. I am thinking my aftermarket one wont work with this sender.
It would be great to have an original panel it would make my life so much easier. If you do have one id be happy to buy it off you
Old 26-04-2021, 05:15   #6

Pacer,
The tach that I have is not for a tamd 40 engine, but for a tamd41 series engine and the pulse rate for the 41 is different than the 40, so it won’t work for your engine. This tach is not adjustable.

Earlier I stated that the pulse rate for your engine was 30 pulses/ crank revolution, but that is incorrect. The correct rate is 33 pulses/ crank revolution.
Sorry I couldn’t help.

You can buy a “universal” tach from Volvo Penta that can be set to read the correct pulse rate for your engine, and I’m sure you can also get one from VDO or numerous other suppliers that will work as well. Just tell them it’s a two wire inductive sender with 33 pulses / crank revolution.
Old 20-12-2023, 11:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Pacer,
The tach that I have is not for a tamd 40 engine, but for a tamd41 series engine and the pulse rate for the 41 is different than the 40, so it won’t work for your engine. This tach is not adjustable.

Earlier I stated that the pulse rate for your engine was 30 pulses/ crank revolution, but that is incorrect. The correct rate is 33 pulses/ crank revolution.
Sorry I couldn’t help.

You can buy a “universal” tach from Volvo Penta that can be set to read the correct pulse rate for your engine, and I’m sure you can also get one from VDO or numerous other suppliers that will work as well. Just tell them it’s a two wire inductive sender with 33 pulses / crank revolution.
Hello DougR,

I found this thread by google when searched for instructions how to connect 3rd party induction tacho sensor to TAMD41P.

Please guide me (by picture or scheme) where should be installed the sensor on VOLVO TAMD41 engine.

I owned 3rd party tachometer with configurable pulse rate (ASIN: B08HYRBLNQ) and failed to connect it with alternator. Manufacturer recommends to use his tacho sensor (ASIN: B07RR8NQ45, B07RN3HJ72), but I don’t understand where in TAMD41P it should be installed.

Thank you in advance.
iderzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 14:49   #8

In all probability there is no place already prepared to install an inductive tach drive sender on a tamd41p engine.

Originally the 40 series engine had an inductive tach drive installed in the top of the timing case, directly between the sea water pump and the fuel injection pump. When the Tamd 41 engine replaced the Tamd 40, the tach drive was taken from the alternator, however the opening for the tach drive remained there, but with a threaded plug in the hole. Then on later engines the hole was no longer threaded. The cast boss was there, but not drilled and tapped.

You will need to check on your timing case and see what you have. My recollection is that the boss will be beneath the black electrical box on the top of the timing case.

In all probability the cast boss could be drilled and tapped to carry an inductive
sender, but it might be easier to source an alternator driven tach if your current tach won’t work on an alternator.
Old 22-12-2023, 06:02   #9

Thank you for advice, DougR.
Best Regards,
Igor
iderzh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo