Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 01:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Victron Smart Solar Chargers are boiling my FLA bank.

Well a big problem. I have 420Wp PV with 2 Victron SmartSolar 15/75 chargers that serve six T-125 Trojan FLA's. During wintertime they should keep the hausebank charged. This was seven month and I had to refill 0,4 l per cell and the leadplates were not covered any more.

What the hell... I thought I take high priced chargers to exactly avoid this case.

Any ideas how I can configure the Victrons to do what they are for?
Tks.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Victron Smart Solar Chargers are boiling my FLA bank.

When leaving the boat for long periods with little on no load, the voltage set points and absorption time should be changed.

The ideal settings will depend on the battery type and circumstances (such as if fluid levels on flooded batteries can be regularly checked), but reducing the bulk (and/or absorption voltage) by around 0.3v and the float voltage around 0.4v (for a 12v system) is a good starting point.

The solar regulators will initiate a new cycle each day so it is particularly important to reduce the absorption time. A very short absorption time of around 2 minutes will avoid overcharging the batteries. The short bump to higher voltage seems beneficial (over a constant storage voltage) perhaps because it reduces the tendency for any stratification of the electrolyte or uneven voltage between the cells and/or batteries.

Equalisation is generally better turned off.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

WOW, that sounds perfect. Thank you so much for the solution.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:44   #4

If your FLAs aren't bubbling for the last few hours, they aren't getting charged properly.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:46   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
If your FLAs aren't bubbling for the last few hours, they aren't getting charged properly.

Not really , gassing off is not needed and of course is not recommended for seabed units.
Old 06-05-2022, 17:59   #6

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. I have a Victron Controller on my 4-80w solar panels, feeding my house battery (6-T106s) for the 6 months I keep the boat up on the hard during hurricane season. And here in Puerto Rico there is plenty of sun! I've tried disconnecting 1 or 2 of the panels, just to reduce the charge available, and I've left all 4 connected-and had to add water 2-3 times during the lay-up season.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 18:03   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I keep mine set to end absorb based on amps instead of time. That way if the batteries are already full, it just runs up to absorb voltage once there's enough sun and then immediately drop to float as the charge acceptance is below the threshold. Assuming an appropriate float voltage, that should be enough to avoid cooking the batteries.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:06   #8

It sounds like the Victron controllers don't have temperature compensation. If they did they would automatically lower the charging voltage for the higher temperatures.
sstuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:00   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuller View Post
It sounds like the Victron controllers don't have temperature compensation. If they did they would automatically lower the charging voltage for the higher temperatures.

They do have it, but if you're not using one of their GX devices and the shared temperature sense function, then it's not great. Without that, the controllers can only estimate battery temp based on their own temp at the beginning of the charge cycle (before they warm up from power flow). I've got mine set up with the shared temp sense feature and they do adjust voltage in real time if the battery temp changes.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 13:28   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have never tried it but I read somewhere that you can de-sulphate batteries by fully charging them and then change out the electrolyte for distilled water and put them back on charge for an extended period. Following a couple of sessions of this you replace the water with new electrolyte to put them back into service.

If your boats in storage for an extended period it would appear to be a good time to exploit to de-sulphate the batteries.
Old 07-05-2022, 13:42   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I have never tried it but I read somewhere that you can de-sulphate batteries by fully charging them and then change out the electrolyte for distilled water and put them back on charge for an extended period. Following a couple of sessions of this you replace the water with new electrolyte to put them back into service.

If your boats in storage for an extended period it would appear to be a good time to exploit to de-sulphate the batteries.

Yes it is even possible to regenerate FLA batteries by removing the acid, spilling it a few times with water and then renew the acid. As good as new by then.

But believe me you would not want to do this procedure two times a year with 6 x 6V t-125 Trojans that are stacked 2/2/2 over each other. I give you a full day of work a year for this job.
Old 07-05-2022, 13:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Maybe it is possible to attach an Victron Smart Battery Sense to the housebank. It is said that then the dumb SmartSolar MPPT are able to do what hey are supposed to.

Well, I escalated it to Trojan and to Victron. Will see what I get from them. I will post the results.
Old 07-05-2022, 23:56   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Yes it is even possible to regenerate FLA batteries by removing the acid, spilling it a few times with water and then renew the acid. As good as new by then.

But believe me you would not want to do this procedure two times a year with 6 x 6V t-125 Trojans that are stacked 2/2/2 over each other. I give you a full day of work a year for this job.
I have 4 ea T105s in my van which will be parked until Jan/Dec whilst I go on my winter cruise. I was wondering what to do with them since I'm taking the panels and controllers to use on my boat and so have now decided to give them a regeneration and see how it goes.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

RaymondR I think it would not even be a problem to just disconnect them charged and leave then alone without any charging. I assume they will drom from 12,65 to 12,4V at max within a period of 6 month.

On the boat the question is: why the heck should one do that as the PV gives enough to keep them fully charged all the time. (as long one has proper controllers) or correct settings as noelex 77 said. On the other hand: Trojan says they should be charged with 14,8V...

As I said, I escalated it to Trojan and Victron.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:04   #15

Higher end of the voltage range for "fast" charging (7+ hours) while active cycling.

Lower end to mid while just keeping topped up in storage mode.

Every 2-3 weeks is enough if not kept Floating to carry parasitic loads
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, oil, solar