Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 15:13   #16

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Victron Multiplus upgrade really a downgrade?

I never got a hold of Victron support. I tried the guy I bought it from, but he wasn't very helpful. I ended up figuring it out on my own.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:26   #17

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I never got a hold of Victron support. I tried the guy I bought it from, but he wasn't very helpful. I ended up figuring it out on my own.
Sending you a pm with contact information.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 15:59   #18

Thanks. I PMed that guy, and asked him some questions.

I sent him an audio file of the sound our it makes when it's charging or inverting, and he says it's f-ed up and has to be repaired.

So I got a DOA product from Victron. Can't wait to see if they're going to expect me to ship it to Europe or not.
Old 04-01-2017, 23:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Thanks. I PMed that guy, and asked him some questions.

I sent him an audio file of the sound our it makes when it's charging or inverting, and he says it's f-ed up and has to be repaired.

So I got a DOA product from Victron. Can't wait to see if they're going to expect me to ship it to Europe or not.
Thanks for the follow-up, let us know your results after its done.
Old 05-01-2017, 16:01   #20

I was getting ready to de-install it so the locals could bench test it, and decided to see if there was anything loose. Took all the panels off, tightened everything down as hard as I could, put it all back together, and the noise went away!

woo hoo!

We've had so many problems lately I just couldn't believe it. So maybe our luck is changing!

Everybody I played the sound for (I made a recording) thought it was a transformer... anyhow, glad that's resolved. I may never figure out why the thing behaves kind of odd, but it's manageable.
Old 06-01-2017, 21:28   #21

Interesting, I wonder it something was just loose and rattling..? Glad it's not making terrible noise now though!
Old 14-01-2017, 11:37   #22

Just a follow-up.

I was able to work with the vendor I bought it from on the phone, and he walked me through it. Probably would have resolved it a lot faster if we spent more time on the phone and less via email, but I like email because I can provide diagrams, screen shots, pictures, etc.

Your first line of support with Victron is the vendor you bought it from, so I would make sure whoever you buy it from has good effective support mechanisms in place.

In the end, it turned out to be an elegant solution. Besides all the little issues, the big issue I had was no way to turn the charger off/on without using the USB cable and a computer. The way I resolved this was using an "assistant", which is like a programmable rule.

I wired the relay on our BMV-600S to the temp port on the Multiplus Compact (it doesn't have a AUX port). Using an assistant I was able to set it up so the charger is controlled by the BMV.

Now when we are in a slip and on shore power, the charger will turn on when the SOC gets low (65%), and turn off when the SOC is 85%.

The advantages being:
-The battery doesn't sit at full charge when at the marina
-We use less shore power, making us more green, as well as saving some green if we have to pay for electricity
-The solar power doesn't just go to heating the boat (ie: the heat sink on the mppt controller), it goes to the battery
-The admiral doesn't have to get irritated at the cable running across the salon every time I needed to turn it off or on.

Now I'm going to wire up a manual override, and I'll be a happy camper.