Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2021, 09:28   #1

Boat: Tayana 52, AC
Victron Multiplus mounting

Has anyone mounted the Victron Multiplus (12/3000) flat on its back, lying down instead of hanging upright? I have a specific place that will fit the Multi, but only if it can be mounted in that orientation. Thank you.
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 15:43   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Victron Multiplus mounting

I did some research on this for my upcoming install. From what I can find, mounting orientation doesn't really matter.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 18:37   #3

I have mounted them on the ground upright with custom feet brackets. But not on its back.

Likly it will cool less. So make sure lots of air space around it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 22:42   #4

Boat: Yamaha 33

If it's in a protected location you can remove the top plate to improve airflow on some models.
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The following diagram shows the MultiPlus ventilation space requirements - and NOT above batteries.

The Service Manual gives you more details about the mounting including the following:

“The product must be installed in a dry and well-ventilated area, as close as possible to the batteries. There should be a clear space of at least 10cm around the appliance for cooling.”;

and also:
“The device can be fitted either horizontally or vertically. For optimal cooling, vertical fitting is preferred.”

Service Manual https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...4xx)-EN-ES.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:18   #6

Boat: Tayana 52, AC

Thank you very much gentlemen. I swear I did look through the manual, Gord. Somehow overlooked it. If you asked my wife, she would tell you I was looking with my man eyes.
Thanks again!
gscriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 14:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We just did ours. As long as it's in a protected space, the orientation shouldn't matter. We put fans in our bulkhead to be sure it stayed cool enough.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 15:30   #8

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscriba View Post
Has anyone mounted the Victron Multiplus (12/3000) flat on its back, lying down instead of hanging upright? I have a specific place that will fit the Multi, but only if it can be mounted in that orientation. Thank you.
Yes...8 mounted mine in its back. The main consideration is making sure you have enough air space around it for cooling but, the instructions say it is ok to install it horizontally
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 16:40   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Ask Victron........I take horizontal to mean on a vertical surface mounted horizontally not on its back, but Victron would offer their opinion..
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 20:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Ask Victron........I take horizontal to mean on a vertical surface mounted horizontally not on its back, but Victron would offer their opinion..

You wouldn’t even be able to mount the victron horizontally on a wall with the included bracket.
It Likely means on its back.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 22:01   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Yes, I have mounted 2 Victrons lying horizontally without any issues. Here an image while I was working on it.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
You wouldn’t even be able to mount the victron horizontally on a wall with the included bracket.
It Likely means on its back.

Interesting. I'll have to pay attention to that when mine arrives for install. In the space I've got, it either needs to sit sideways on a bulkhead or I could let it hang (face down) from the ceiling of the compartment it's going in. Not quite enough height to mount it vertically, as the Multiplus 2000 I'm going with is taller than the 3000.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:14   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Victron specifies mounting upright. The case design relies on the chimney effect, drawing air in from the bottom and alowing it to escape through the top. If you mount it horizontally, or on its back, cooling will suffer. This will likely effect the charger output, and absolutely effect the sustained peak inverter output in a negative way.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Victron specifies mounting upright. The case design relies on the chimney effect, drawing air in from the bottom and alowing it to escape through the top. If you mount it horizontally, or on its back, cooling will suffer. This will likely effect the charger output, and absolutely effect the sustained peak inverter output in a negative way.

Chris

They have fans, so I'd expect the difference from loss of stack effect is fairly small. The fans will just run more and work harder, but if the unit is mounted somewhere relatively cool, I wouldn't expect any significant loss of performance.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:23   #15

Boat: Yamaha 33

I mounted mine horizontally, using the original hanging bracket, two 3" 316 SS L-brackets to support the weight, and 2 smaller brackets to keep it in place if things ever go TU. The left side is held in place with 1/4-20 SS hex bolts screwed to T-nuts behind the mounting board.

The construction photo shows one bracket, I completed it with two.

Cooling is a consideration, but the PNW isn't known for scorching heat. It stays pretty cool in the electronics bay. As Gord noted, horizontal mounting is allowed, but not optimal.

MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote