Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 12:53   #1

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 died?

Help please if you have any insight. I have a Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 inverter/charger. I shut all electrical systems down on my boat while working on my solar system - i.e. main battery switch off. All went well except when I powered everything back up my MultiPlus was completely unresponsive. No LEDs, including the 'mains on', come on and my VE.NET panel is blank. I have power cycled (AC off, DC off, DC on, AC on) several times and played with the charger-only/off/on rocker switch on the front several times with no result. I removed the top cover - there is no AC hum (though I don't know if there ever was) and there is no electrical smell or burnt smell at all. I removed the front panel and verified the unit is getting AC and DC power.

Ideas???
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 16:24   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Re: Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 died?

I have seen vague posts (RV forum) about an internal fuse, but an initial inspection revealed none. Anybody know about this?
Old 22-01-2021, 17:28   #3

Boat: Yamaha 33

Do you have a Venus GX or Cerbo connected? You can get into a deadlock if the Venus needs the Multiplus to boot and the Multiplus needs the Venus to signal OK to start.
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 17:32   #4

A long shot - but if you have a network cable plugged into it for control panel or cerbo - try removing it and see if you get lights back at the rocker switch.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:13   #5

You will find a much higher likelihood of an accurate and useful response it you go to Victron's community support page.

https://community.victronenergy.com/index.html

Offically, Victron doesn't supply support to end users except through the distributors, but they have lots of tools online if you look. Of course you might try the dealer you bought the unit from. They SHOULD be able and willing to help...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
A long shot - but if you have a network cable plugged into it for control panel or cerbo - try removing it and see if you get lights back at the rocker switch.
Carl and MerMike, thank you! I have a VE.Net Blue Power Panel, which I think is the predecessor to the Color Control GX panel. I pulled the VE.Bus connection, which I asume goes to the MultiPlus, though I haven't traced it out yet, and the front panel LEDs on the MultiPlus came on and it began working. So I guess my MultiPlus is fine and the BPP is shot.

It looks like the BPP is still available new. Should I just replace it or it is there a good reason to upgrade?
Old 22-01-2021, 18:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Carl and MerMike, thank you! I have a VE.Net Blue Power Panel, which I think is the predecessor to the Color Control GX panel. I pulled the VE.Bus connection, which I asume goes to the MultiPlus, though I haven't traced it out yet, and the front panel LEDs on the MultiPlus came on and it began working. So I guess my MultiPlus is fine and the BPP is shot.

It looks like the BPP is still available new. Should I just replace it or it is there a good reason to upgrade?
I would see if it still works. It's more likely that there was a deadlock. If I recall, there's a specific sequence of steps required on a cold start when using the panel. Unless you want to upgrade. Then it's definitely broken.
Old 22-01-2021, 18:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerMike View Post
I would see if it still works. It's more likely that there was a deadlock. If I recall, there's a specific sequence of steps required on a cold start when using the panel. Unless you want to upgrade. Then it's definitely broken.
Well, I've tried a few things but so far the display is just blank. Want to take a guess on the set of steps?

I don't really want to upgrade, but if I have to spend money then maybe.
Old 22-01-2021, 18:57   #9

Quote:
Well, I've tried a few things but so far the display is just blank. Want to take a guess on the set of steps?

I don't really want to upgrade, but if I have to spend money then maybe.
Try community.victronenergy.com and search deadlock. If you own Victron gear you should know about this site anyway
Old 22-01-2021, 19:13   #10

Quote:
Try community.victronenergy.com and search deadlock. If you own Victron gear you should know about this site anyway
I didn't find any useful threads there as applied to my equipment. They may exist, I just didn't find them. However, armed with the possibility I tried various sequences of breakers, switches and buttons and seem to have everything back on line. Hurray!

Now, I won't be doing anything right away but the Cerbo does look pretty cool. However it is not clear if it will play nicely with my VE.Net Battery Controller. How does VE.Net relate to VE.Bus, VE.Can, VE.Direct, etc?
Old 22-01-2021, 19:33   #11

Quote:
I didn't find any useful threads there as applied to my equipment. They may exist, I just didn't find them. However, armed with the possibility I tried various sequences of breakers, switches and buttons and seem to have everything back on line. Hurray!

Now, I won't be doing anything right away but the Cerbo does look pretty cool. However it is not clear if it will play nicely with my VE.Net Battery Controller. How does VE.Net relate to VE.Bus, VE.Can, VE.Direct, etc?
Hoo boy. I know a bit about the new equipment that I've worked with, but nothing about the older stuff except things I've come across while looking for something else. I believe they have migrated from VE.Net to VE.Bus but I couldn't tell you the difference. VE.Direct integrates solar controllers and battery monitors with the Venus or Cerbo. VE.Bus connects the Multiplus and Quattro to each other for multi phase systems and to the Venus and Cerbo for control. Or I could be completely mistaken.

The nice thing about the Victron site is that questions sometimes get answered by Matthais, who is the head of the company, or someone equally knowledgeable.

I went with the Venus and connect to it through a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen. The photo below was on the bench before installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200505_121632.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	230922  
Old 23-01-2021, 14:45   #12

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
I agree. I have the same model Multiplus hooked up to a CCGX display. I’ve had the Multiplus lock up a couple of times (go completely dark and not responding to any rocker switch movements), and each time unplugging the network cable to the CCGX allowed it to start right back up. I’m not positive, but think I simply reconnected the network cable with the MP and the CCGX both already powered on. I might be remembering incorrectly, and you may need to follow a different sequence.

I know you already disconnected and got your Multiplus to start up, so I’d just keep trying different orders before giving up on your control panel. Maybe treat it like a new installation, everything powered off, but network cable connected, then power on the MP, followed by the remote panel.

OOPS: sorry for the late reply. I see you already got everything back online. Congrats!
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 14:49   #13

Boat: Catana 471

One more thought.. it’s been a long time since I experienced the “all dark won’t restart” lock that you experienced. Since then, I have updated firmware on the Multiplus and the CCGX a couple of times, so it’s possible that one of the firmware revisions included a fix for this issue.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 14:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
One more thought.. it’s been a long time since I experienced the “all dark won’t restart” lock that you experienced. Since then, I have updated firmware on the Multiplus and the CCGX a couple of times, so it’s possible that one of the firmware revisions included a fix for this issue.
Thanks. I've got both the MultiPlus and the BPP back up and talking to each other.

By what process did you update the MultiPlus firmware?
Old 23-01-2021, 15:08   #15

If you don't have a GX device, use a USB-VE.Direct dongle connected between one of the 2 VE.Bus ports on the Multiplus and a USB port on your computer. You'll need an ethernet cable. Then download the VE.config3 software from Victron. You'll be able to update the firmware and change settings.
Quote:
Thanks. I've got both the MultiPlus and the BPP back up and talking to each other.

By what process did you update the MultiPlus firmware?