Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:22   #1

Victron BMV 600 - Issues Installing

Hey folks,

Has anyone had any issues installing the Victron BMV600? It seemed pretty straight forward, but I'm not getting any power to the actual monitor from the shunt. Just a blank screen.

I have checked all the connections, compared them to the manual and had a friend double check my work. The fuse on the "power" cable to the shunt is fine.

Am I missing something really obvious? I believe it's just supposed to turn on once connected to power although the instruction manual leaves something to be desired.

Thanks for any help,

Mike
mkeller23173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

Sorry that problems with your Victron Battery Monitor (#BMV-600) brought you to us. Here’s hoping someone has a simple fix.

I presume you have this 186 page manual
http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/...%20PT%20SE.pdf

As well as this quick install sheet
http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/...05-07-2007.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:53   #3

Thanks Gord. Yes, I have both those things and neither are very helpful unfortunately.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:48   #4
Eternal Member

Mike,

The BMV-600 is a wonderful little device, and generally very easy to install. It's always possible that you have a defective unit, but before you declare it so check the B+ voltage AT THE SHUNT to be sure the wire and fuse are intact. Then, be sure the UTP cable is well seated at both the cable and the meter.

If these are OK, then I'd get in touch with Victron in Maine or the Netherlands. They're generally very helpful.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:58   #5

Thanks Bill, I hope to get down there this afternoon to test the voltage. Am I correct in thinking that as soon as the power is plugged into the shunt; and the UTP cable is plugged into the monitor that it will automatically come on right? There is no power button that I'm missing?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:07   #6
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeller23173 View Post
Thanks Bill, I hope to get down there this afternoon to test the voltage. Am I correct in thinking that as soon as the power is plugged into the shunt; and the UTP cable is plugged into the monitor that it will automatically come on right? There is no power button that I'm missing?
Yes, when power is applied the BMV starts up in the normal mode. If you get nothing, and you've measured B+ voltage at the shunt, then either the BMV itself is dead or the UTP cable is defective. IMHO.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:11   #7

I had trouble installing my BMV, too. It came on but would read a constant (incorrect) voltage. I contacted them in Maine and they shipped a replacement (good service). I used the replacement to figure out what was wrong with the original, and it turned out to be the cable.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 08:17   #8

Well everyone problem solved. Bad fuse. Looked absolutely fine by thte naked eye, but when you put it through a multimeter, it's no good. Bypassed the fuse and all worked as expected.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.