Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45   #1

Boat: Endurance 35
Victron 110 12v deep cycle Batteries for my house bank

Hi, Iam hoping this could be a clear cut post, I need to replace my house bank X3 , our boat is in Sicily we fly our Friday I need to replace the house bank I was thinking of AGM all I can get in the time scale is the deep cycle batteries above, will they be OK running all the house 12v system aboard. We have 120w of solar

Thanks in advance

Julian
JulianGullsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:20   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Victron 110 12v deep cycle Batteries for my house bank

Can't really say, from a distance and without additional info... but if your current bank is 3X flooded batteries of the same basic size, shape, capacity... then the Victron AGM version should work fine.

If your battery charger is "modern" enough to offer different charging profiles for flooded, AGM, gel... then you probabbly can just choose an AGM setting and be happy. A more throughout approach would be to look up Victron's recommended bulk/absorption and float voltages, and then set the charger as close to that as possible.

Otherwise, charging profiles for flooded batteries are probably OK for AGMs, too. (At least that's what our slightly older charger manual recommends; it only offers two settings, one for flooded/AGM and one for gel.)

-Chris
Old 08-05-2017, 22:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Victron 110 12v deep cycle Batteries for my house bank

Victron also makes a deep cycle gel battery available in Sicily and Victron is one of the few manufacturers that really explains the differences between AGM and gels without a lot of hype. I went back to gels from AGMs because of how I use them.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote