Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 03:47   #16

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Using a 1000 watt generator/inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
"The Honda unit pushes out about 8 amps" obviously reference to the DC output so an element of confusion. Personally I don't know why Honda fit DC connections never known anyone to use them.
Why in the world is that an obvious reference to DC, one wonders?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 04:18   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

I have two 90 ah batteries in parallel that I keep charged with about 140 watts of solar.

You could buy a few solar panels and a decent controller and not have to deal with the generator.

I just have PWM controllers at the moment since my Victron MPPT has failed but they are still doing the job.

One panel goes directly to the batteries when I'm onboard otherwise it just 120 watts thru the controller maintaining the battery charge.

These batteries then power Depth, VHF/GPS/AIS, lights, inverter, computers, autopilot, HDTV, etc.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 05:06   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dunno why anyone thinks the statement "The Honda unit pushes out about 8 amps" is a reference to a DC output.

I thought it was clearly a reference to the AC output being as the OP refers to a Honda EU1000i. 120V x 8A = 960 VA which is close to the rated output of this Honda unit.

See 12v receptacle bottom left of control panel. DC 12v 8A
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-21 135157.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	240645Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-21 140239.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	240652
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 05:56   #19

Boat: Columbia 36

The way I understand it the Honda 1000 puts out 8 amps whether your on the DC or AC outlets. 8 amps DC or 960 watts AC. Same thing. I had a Honda 1000 on sailboat for probably ten years. I ran the crap out of it and replaced with a 2000 when it started burning oil. Got so it would only run about 20 minutes before it went to low oil shutdown. Biggest complaint I had on the 1000 is it wouldn't run the water heater. 2000 will with power to spare. You never know when you might want to power more things so I'd go with a 2000 up front. Probably wouldn't have worn out as quick either.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 07:50   #20

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

On our boat, when the generator is on, we charge batteries, run a/c, water heater, refrigeration, charge phones, etc.
I understand wanting to charge your batteries but make sure there are not other needs for electricity such as refrigeration. It seems we are always seeking more electricity.

If we are only charging batteries, we use solar. We typically see around 20 amps for the 7 hours of good sun.

Before our genset, we had a honda 2000 and it would run everything but A/C or water heater had to alternate.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 09:11   #21

Boat: Columbia 36

I tried using the 8 amp DC charger on mine once, you're right it's pitiful. And the eco throttle has to be off so the generator's screaming at full speed. Much better to plug a 120v charger into the ac side, but if you don't have one... They use these things for camping etc too so that's where the use for the DC output lies.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 15:25   #22

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Sorry the hijack your thread, but we're long-time CF registered users who are trying to post a new thread and we can't figure out how to do it.

Any adivice?

Our issue is an aluminum prop "bullet" anode that is frozen on the end of the prop shaft. We need wisdom on how to free it so we can install a new one.

Thanks
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 15:59   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Sorry the hijack your thread, but we're long-time CF registered users who are trying to post a new thread and we can't figure out how to do it.

Any adivice?

Our issue is an aluminum prop "bullet" anode that is frozen on the end of the prop shaft. We need wisdom on how to free it so we can install a new one.

Thanks
At the top LHS of each page there is a pull down menu labelled 'Forums'. It is just under the main 'Cruisers Forum' banner.

Open the 'Forums' menu and at the bottom RHS of the menu is a green 'button' labeled '+ Start a Discussion'. Click on this button and follow the instructions to post a new thread.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 17:20   #24
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
See 12v receptacle bottom left of control panel. DC 12v 8A
Attachment 240645Attachment 240652
I guess what is obvious to some isn't always so obvious to others. This is prime example...

Presumably you see <Honda generator + 8A> so it becomes "obvious" the the 8A must refer to the 12VDC aux output. Fair enough (for you)...

However here is what is obvious to me as I read the thread.
1. OP has 400AH of batteries to charge.
2. OP plans to run a cable from generator to shore power receptacle
3. OP doesn't want to get a 2000W generator.

Also obvious to me is -
1. 400AH of batteries requires a charger in the order of 40A (i.e. about 600W)
2. One doesn't normally charge batteries by pushing 12VDC through the shore power receptacle.
3. Both the Honda 1000W generator and the Honda 2000W generator have the same DC 12V 8A output (i.e. about 100W).

Ergo it becomes obvious to me the OP will have to use the AC output of the generator to realise his ambition of charging his batteries with a Honda generator. I thought it would be obvious to most other readers but clearly it obvious wasn't to every other reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I have 4 x 100Ah deep cycle batteries and I'm thinking of buying a 1000 watt generator (eg. Honda EU1000i) to charge up the batteries. I would run a shore power cable from the generator to my shore power receptacle and turn on the Battery Charge breaker. The Honda unit pushes out about 8 amps and I prefer the small unit for weight and noise level.
I'm wondering if the 1000 watt generator is sufficient in size to charge the batteries
Thanks in advance!
Quote:
I'm wondering if the 1000 watt generator is sufficient to charge the batteries as I don't really want to go to a 2000 watt generator
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 06:57   #25

Boat: '99 Hunter 410

I used a Westinghouse iGen2500 generator (2500 watts start, 2200 watts run) while cruising down the coast and to the Bahamas. I found that I had to set my Freedom 20 inverter/charger on the lowest power sharing setting in order to charge batteries and run my 120v watermaker at the same time, since the 120v outlets on the generator are only 20 amp (used a 20amp to 30amp adapter plug to hook up shore power cable). Admittedly the batteries were old and should have been replaced before the trip, but I had to run the generator a lot more than I wanted to in order to keep them semi-charged, despite having 340 watts of solar.
rfh927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 07:06   #26

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Not sure why you are thanking us in advance as I don't see any question in the OP.

You will need to consider how much fuel you will need for the Honda and where to stow it.
I've been using a honda 2000 for a few yrs now to charge batteries while on a hook. The unit carries 1 gal of fuel that usually lasts a straight 8hr of run time.. I don't carry spare, just refill it upon empty.

I don't know about your vessel, but it doesn't take me 8hr straight to recharge my bank.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 07:25   #27

Boat: Sunwind 20

Quote:
... I would run a shore power cable from the generator to my shore power receptacle and turn on the Battery Charge breaker. The Honda unit pushes out about 8 amps...
I have small Nissamaran IG 600. It can give 450w AC (for passive load as lamps, 350W for reactive load as motors). But, like Yours, only 8A DC 12V (i.e. ~100W).
I believ, will be reasonable - as You wrote - use AC transfer to boat with minimal losses in long cable and another charger, not Honda's own 12V.
Grigory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 07:47   #28

Having owned a EU1000 for in excess of 15 years and used in this aplication I can say you are likely to be fine.
They actually put out more than 1000 watts continuosly.
When in cold weather I ran a 1500 watt rated ceramic heater no issues. If I wanted to run the heater and my tru charge 40 amp charger I would run the tru charge and keep the ceramic heater on low. As the tru charge came off bulk charge I would turn up the ceramic heater.
Not an issue, not a problem. I have never used the DC outlet.
Placed on the lazzarette facing aft noise was not an issue.

Obviously you need to use some brain power so as not to consume any exhaust fumes.....but it's really not that difficult.....well....it should'nt be. If you find that part of the exercise problematic.... get rid of the generator....and any sharp objects you may have.

This post for the OP. Not interested in argueing or dealing with the trolls....or being preached at either.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 08:08   #29

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

For years I used a Honda 2000 generator to power (using the shore power 30 amp cable with a 15 amp adapter) a 40 amp shore charger to recharge my approx. 450 aH battery bank. I could even heat the water at the same time. As stated above, be aware of CO dangers and ensure safety. It is insidious and the effects are not noticeable until you are a long way down a very bad path. Awareness and common sense is all that is really needed. Installing a CO detector is never a bad idea.

Being able to heat the water at the same time was a feature that I really found useful, but if you don't care about that, as stated by others the Honda 1000 should work for what you state you want. A friend used his Honda 2000 to power an 80 amp shore charger using the same method (larger bank).

As an aside, if you anchor out mostly, running a generator like this will "murder" your batteries as they will almost never reach a full 100% charge (it takes about 5+ hours of gen run time as the final "top up" takes a long time) and repeated partial state of charge use is very hard on almost all battery chemistries. If you use a marina (with overnight shore power) every few days, then maybe not as big an issue.
Solar will avoid this issue and give a longer overall battery life, and is quieter too. If you are challenged for space for solar, then run the generator in the AM and let a "small" solar panel do the "top up".
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 10:13   #30

Boat: C&C 41

This very solution worked well for us while cruising in the Bahamas. We also had a small wind generator and two solar panels. But on cloudy, windless days the Honda 1000 worked out great.

You are going to have to have gasoline for the dink anyway. Just be sure to change the oil as needed. My Honda seemed very sensitive to degraded oil
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter