Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 18:12   #16

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Using 1800W induction cooktop with 400 AH LifePO

Following. We presently rely on the genset for power to the electric Force-10 stove. But looking seriously at an induction cooktop to cut down on cabin heat and decrease stove time.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 18:25   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I can run 2 single 1800 watt induction cook plates on a single 4400 watt Magnum inverter. Usually use just one and rarely at max power. I have a large 48v bank on a powerboat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 21:21   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Hi,
I want to use an induction cook top as it will allow me to get rid of propane.
I’m not cooking any lengthy meals, mostly heating water for coffee in the morning and frying a piece of fish or rice in the evening. Not more than an hour use in a day.
Would an 1800W (highest setting) induction cooktop ran through a 3000W inverter and powered by a 400AH LifePO battery be sufficient?

My quick math says it should work, but looking for advice from those with experience with LifePO and induction cooking.

1800W/12V= 150amps
150A x 1hr = 150 AH
how many ah does the rest of the boat take each day? like 200? so you are draining 350ah out our your 400ah bank every day. which means you need a lot of charging each day. and can not go any days without charge ( no cloudy days)

generally you'd want 2-3 days of batteries. which would put you around 1000ah bank for 350ah a day.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 05:16   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Following. We presently rely on the genset for power to the electric Force-10 stove. But looking seriously at an induction cooktop to cut down on cabin heat and decrease stove time.

Going from a resistance electric stove to an induction one is a total no-brainer. Go for it.

If you haven't cooked on induction -- it is marvelous. Better than gas. You will save a ton of power and cabin heat, and enjoy cooking a lot more.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 06:47   #20

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
how many ah does the rest of the boat take each day? like 200? so you are draining 350ah out our your 400ah bank every day. which means you need a lot of charging each day. and can not go any days without charge ( no cloudy days)

generally you'd want 2-3 days of batteries. which would put you around 1000ah bank for 350ah a day.
Many cruisers have massively oversized banks when what they should be focusing on is the charging capability rather than bank size.

Each will run their boat differently but IMO 3 days without needing any charging at all is excessive. And if the if the OP did that along with the 1000ah bank you suggested he'd never get to 100 soc ever with 850w of solar which would give him about 150-200ah a day in tropical latitudes (which btw are always cloudy in some manner )depending on the angle and shading, unless he turned everything off for a few days.

Lithium cells like to be cycled, and as Nordkyndesign points out, money is better spent on charing capability rather than capacity.

Anyway, this is all veering off course.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote