Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Update on Solar Install

I wanted to update the thread from here on the results of the install. After all was said and done I ended up with two 245 watt Suntech panels with two Victron mppt controllers. Also bought a battery monitor but haven't installed it as of yet. I went with Suntech panels because after hours of searching the net I couldn't find a local supplier of panels. This meant I was going to have to pay an average of $165 bucks for shipping. That's almost the price of one panel and I just wasn't ready to accept the cost.

I finally called a solar installer here in Maryland in hopes they could send me to a local seller. Turns out that they had a few orphan panels left over from various projects. I was able to pick up the Suntechs for $179 bucks and best of all, NO shipping! So, if your looking for panels this may be an option in your area.

So far the panels are performing beautifully. Since I don't have the battery monitor installed yet, I can't give you the numbers, but here's what's happening real world.

They are charging the 440ah bank and keeping up with the house lights, (a mixture of led and halogen), the fresh water pump, shower drain pump, tv, a BD35 compressor for the fridge, a BD35 compressor and cooling water pump for the freezer, anchor light, house fans and various chargers for the phones, laptop, etc. We've sat on the hook now for over a week and have not turned on the genny. This makes us happy, happy, happy not to have to listen to the genny, even though it's a fairly quite Honda 2000.

I have put all the install pictures of the on the blog here. Just too many pictures to post here. The controller details and are there too. For me the frame was the hardest part. I wanted simple and in-expensive. Check it out and let me know what you think. Here's a teaser pic...

Tags
solar