Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:10   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Update on our electrical status

Just got off the dock and on the hook permanently. Still have to go to work 1 day/week. I finished installing Fourwinds II, and two Kyocera 130W panels. I equilized the two trojan scs225(130AH) 2 years old, and added two more. ($115/battery). I also threw in my exide deep cycle from 2003 for a total of 640 AH.
I am extremely happy. The radio didn't stop blasting for the last 3 days, and the inverter is almost always on, which I use to run the laptop and charge the cordless tools I have. Still doing some work while at anchor in Newport RI. Fridge (Danfoss BD50 compressor) is keeping the burgers frozen but I am still in cold New England waters.

Fourwinds II is the greatest thing ever. I am sitting under the bimini and the wind is louder than the blades. The output I cannot even evaluate cause the batteries are topped off by the kyoceras all the time. I did shut off the solar panels and was reading about 3-5 amps in around 10kts of wind comming out of the fourwinds II. yesterday morning it was blowing 25-30 and I tried shutting down the blades. It worked pretty good. It took 2-3 seconds to slow the blades to a stop using the switch. I climbed the stern rail quickly to turn it away from the wind and shut it off. I am very happy wit the thing. Might order the air brake so i can leave it unattended.

Solar pannels are even better. On a clowdy and rainy day I still have 3-4 amps commig in. I did see once 16 amps comming in from the kyoceras. They are mounted on top of the bimini top. At 130W each they are rated for 8+ amps max. I get a trickle charge out of them as late as 7 PM.
More updates to come as life on the hook continues.
Cheers
Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 14:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Very nice...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:10   #3
cruiser

Sounds like a great setup. Hey... I'm in Newport all the time. I also live at anchor. I'll be in Newport later on this week in the anchorage. You won't miss me when I fire up the old genset. ha ha ha. Well, hopefully when you throw the empties at me, you *will* miss me.

I would rather have your setup in a second, but have charter guests that demand a lot of power.

Contact me through my website if you want to talk... we'll be anchored right next to each other. It's not a very big anchorage.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 19:38   #4

Sean, where can you pull up to fill watertanks and not get charged in Newport?

It was blowing 30kts out of the west yesterday. Few boats dragged and were towed by the harbourmaster. It got pretty bad with couple of them banging hulls. I am just glad no one fouled up my line. I am just east of Ida Lewis about 25-50 yards or so.
See you there,
Petar
Old 20-06-2006, 14:47   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati
<snip>... the inverter is almost always on, which I use to run the laptop and charge the cordless tools I have...<snip>
Electrons are not exactly my strong suit, so I have probably got the wrong end of the stick (I often do), but if you are running an inverter to power your laptop, aren't you taking 12v DC from your batteries, converting it to 240v AC with your inverter, then converting it straight back to 12v DC with your laptop mains adapter?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 06:49   #6

Its actually 12V to 120V back to 19.5V
I plan to tinker around with power supplies to see if I can get the correct wattage. Like 85W or so is what laptops usually need. Also the new laptops with high end graphics cards have extra cooling fans which I don't want to mess around with...
Old 21-06-2006, 09:23   #7

Phorvati,

The deal with water at Newport is that when it's not crowded (weekdays) you can generally take on water at either of the three fuel docks. Buying fuel or some motor oil is another "excuse" which seems to allow them to give you water.

I have heard from Goat Island Marina that they wanted to sell me water, and I just left.

You might find water inside the protected bulkhead at the Yachting Museum where the Ferry to BI departs. There are usually no boats there and a dinghy dock too.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 07:29   #8

I've been turned down on a tuesday morning, 8AM for w ater at the fuel dock. I was told that I need to rent the slip for half-day in order to get water. Then I was told I need to fuel up. I asked is there a minimum for fueling he said not but you're only allowed the fill water while fueling. If you stop fueling, you need to stop the water as well.
But I'll try the Yachting Museum
Thanks,
Petar
Old 22-06-2006, 08:45   #9

Petar

Which fuel dock is that? Sounds very nasty... Amazing how creepy some people are.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote