Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2022, 10:15   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Ultimate solar panels

LG were made in South Korea as are the current Hyundai panels. Wonder if they bought the factories.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 10:35   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You really have to search as local as possible because shipping is a major cost factor.

I just lost a solar array in hurricane Nicole. It was 3x 375W LG so 1,125W.

I plan to replace it with 5x 440W for a total of 2,200W.

Added to my other 750W LG array, I’ll have almost 3kW.

The design of an arch on the stern is crucial. You have to see how many 40-41” panels you can fit side by side. I can do three, which is how I did the array that is now lost.

For the new setup I am going to mount a cassette on the arch, with three oanels fixed and two slide-outs like a space craft does

https://www.solaris-shop.com/aptos-d...o-solar-panel/

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 13:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You really have to search as local as possible because shipping is a major cost factor.

I just lost a solar array in hurricane Nicole. It was 3x 375W LG so 1,125W.

I plan to replace it with 5x 440W for a total of 2,200W.

Added to my other 750W LG array, I’ll have almost 3kW.

The design of an arch on the stern is crucial. You have to see how many 40-41” panels you can fit side by side. I can do three, which is how I did the array that is now lost.

For the new setup I am going to mount a cassette on the arch, with three oanels fixed and two slide-outs like a space craft does

https://www.solaris-shop.com/aptos-d...o-solar-panel/
Wow. This is an amazing price. I wander if this is the case of "you get what you paid for" or just a very good deal. Is it true the saying there's never enough solar?
hezi973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 13:19   #19

Thank you all for the replies. I wish this forum had a "like" button. Too many posts to acknowledge. Thank you and keep the replies coming.
Old 27-11-2022, 13:57   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Too many posts to acknowledge.
This is what the "thanks" button is for...

Jim
Old 27-11-2022, 14:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This is what the "thanks" button is for...

Jim
I saw this but wasn't sure. Does it send a private message to the user who is being thanked?
Old 27-11-2022, 15:01   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
I saw this but wasn't sure. Does it send a private message to the user who is being thanked?
Yes it does. There is a stock 'thank-you' phrase and a blank where you can add a personal note of thanks or other comment.

I'll send you one so you can see...

Jim
Old 27-11-2022, 22:57   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I buy from GWL Solar they have successfully shipped across Europe to me so far so good
Old 02-12-2022, 06:49   #24

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I bought 150 watt panels on Amazon for $1 per watt last year with good result. DO NOT BUY flexible panels. Big performance disappointmen. I have a 43ft poweboat. I installed 4 panels on the arch with 1" stainless bar stock. It held together in 70 knt hurricane winds last summer. Plan the whole system with quality components. Victron controllers, lithium house bank. Quality inverter.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:06   #25

You might see every month the news has a new breakthrough for better Solar Panels.
Maybe you can contact the person or company.
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:16   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Where do you plan on cruising? This may also come into play when adding solar. The further from the equator the less efficient panel will be when mounted horizontally.
Although many companies claim 10% to 20% gains in bi-facial panels it's rarely that significant a gain, it depends on the position of the boat as opposed ot the position of the sun. I added 1000 watts of solar to our monohull mounted on a dedicated arch, which also carries the davits, on a cat, depending on size, you can mount much more, but you still want to be conscious of the weight overhanging the stern and how it effects your boats sailing ability.
From my experience in the Caribbean the bi-facial panels aren't worth the added weight and cost for the small amount of power gain they provide. Better to have LED lighting, more efficient refrigeration, more efficient inverters, etc, than to try to have enough panels to emulate a nuclear power station.
A friend of mine, who is one of the best marine electrical contractors in Grenada recent installed over 4000 amp hours of lithium to a 70 foot catamaran, and the panels to support it, you probably would have a heart attack if you knew the cost, but in that case cost was not a problem to the owner.
On our boat, the efficiency of the systems has made the 1000 watts of solar plenty, with 600 amp hours of lithium. On long passages, with the auto-pilot working, refrigeration, navigation electronics, and other systems running the battery bank rarely dips below 60% and is fully charged by 11am, 1pm on mixed cloudy days, this is on a 47 foot, 42,000 lb monohull. Of course rainy days reduce efficiency dramatically.
As for "salt water panels", yeah, I couldn't justify the cost, all panels deteriorate over time, for the cost difference of salt resistant or bi-facial panels you could replace them in 10 years and still be ahead.
Not to mention that panel technology and efficiency continue to improve, as well as the cost coming down over time.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:34   #27

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I'm not an expert but after years of owning solar panels for my home and boats my opinion is that solar panels that are mounted in an arch or high enough to avoid spray can be residential- cheaper than marinized and last longer.

We recently replaced our perfectly fine 10 year old Canadian Solar 400w residential solar panels with REV Alpha panels and boosted our solar power generation by 70% in the same footprint (mounted on our hardtop above the center cockpit of our ketch).

I like the design because there are more cells per square inch and the split panels will generate power when partially shaded (by the main mast or mizzen).

For the money, residential panels are cheaper and easier to obtain and replace. I spare no expense for my floating home but no need to spend 5-10X if not necessary.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:44   #28

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezi973 View Post
I'm sorry if this was discussed over and over but my quick search didn't yield much. I am thinking ahead toward my future catamaran power management and seeking advice regarding solar. I am planning to have a frame extending from the rear of the main sheet traveler on the cockpit roof extending outward over the dinghy davits. I want big solar to help with big lithium. I am looking for proven efficiency compared to size, weight and longetivity. I visited one or two booths in Annapolis boat show that were selling solar. Marine dedicated solar is expensive! I am pretty sure most cruiser using hard panels are installing panels that were not necessarily designed for the marine environment. What about bifacial panels? I see them more and more and they couldn't make more sense on a boat. But, from what I see, they are heavy. Weight have a big roll here since I ham hoping to fit 6 x 475+ watt panels on a frame. The weight is adding up...

From what I can see, one of the best panel for the job is Sunpower SPR-MAX6-475COM . It is 475 watt, 50 Lb, 81" x 41" (6 panels: 2850 watt, 300 lb, 138 SF).
One of the best bifacial panel I see is Qcells Q.PEAK DUO XL-G11/BFG. 585 watte, 76 Lb, 95" x 45" (5 panels 2925 watt, 380 lb, 148 SF).

This is internet experience on manufacturers "optimal", not sure how real, conditions. What about real life experience? Any cruiser can share some of his/her experience with panels on a frame? Again, I am looking for top quality, proven hardware but open for anything that make sense. Thank you for sharing!
I bought 2 250watt panels from Sun electronics in Miami Florida. They were $0.51 per watt. These panels were made by Sanyo. Sun electronics currently has a 540-watt panel at $0.58 per watt.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:41   #29

You cannot go wrong with Sunpower solar panels. They use the half cell technology which will work better if some of the panel is shaded. They have a very good temperature rating.

We removed the Yingli solar panels and replaced them with 3000w of Sunpower on our catamaran.
If you are buying Sunpower you can ask for the panel flash tests this will let you know if you are getting a better than good panel.

On all our Sunpower panels the output was over the advertised output. You will have to add blocking diodes if using more than one string.

The work a lot better than the Yingli in cloudy weather. Some days the system will produce over 70amp at 24 volts.
rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:59   #30
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
You cannot go wrong with Sunpower solar panels. […]Some days the system will produce over 70amp at 24 volts.
Hope they do better than that! You have 3kW installed but that isn’t even 2kW

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels