Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30   #16

Re: Ultimate low-cost IP65 flashing light

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
If you speak to people of spend their time living on the hook, you'll find that lower anchor lights actually work much better weaving your way through an anchorage than something way up the top of the mast. For our little short boats it doesn't really matter much if it's fore or aft as long as it's there and quite bright. So Bob666, good call, get a bright LED and mount it lower down. Mine's attached to the underside of the anchor ball. Worth leaving the one up the top of the mast as well, good to have some choice.
You understood me correctly. I won't mount anything flashing on the arch. But a anchor light according to regulations.

I'll mount both so. Today there is one common ground and two plus (+) cables going to the top, I think the anchor lantern is simply missing up there, bought the boat not so long ago.

Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob666 View Post
You understood me correctly. I won't mount anything flashing on the arch. But a anchor light according to regulations.

I'll mount both so. Today there is one common ground and two plus (+) cables going to the top, I think the anchor lantern is simply missing up there, bought the boat not so long ago.

Just keep in mind, there is no regulation that says you can't have more than one (non-flashing) white light on your boat. A lot of cruisers use more than one anchor light. One higher up for spotting at a distance and also not masked by shore lights lower down. Another lower down on the boat to make you visible to dinghies and such. As long as one of them meets the Colreg requirements then the other can meet practical needs.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 22:18   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just keep in mind, there is no regulation that says you can't have more than one (non-flashing) white light on your boat. A lot of cruisers use more than one anchor light. One higher up for spotting at a distance and also not masked by shore lights lower down. Another lower down on the boat to make you visible to dinghies and such. As long as one of them meets the Colreg requirements then the other can meet practical needs.
Fraid Knot. Any other light still needs to abide by:

"If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in these Rules, "

But there is nothing to stop you from displaying 2 anchor lights, only displaying one is just an option for vessels under 50m. Just make sure that if you do, that the aft one is lower than the forward on i.a.w Rule 30 (a) (ii).

Alternatively, you can mount lights which illuminate the boat.

Rule 30 (c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Fraid Knot. Any other light still needs to abide by:

"If necessary to attract the attention of another vessel any vessel may make light or sound signals that cannot be mistaken for any signal authorised elsewhere in these Rules, "

But there is nothing to stop you from displaying 2 anchor lights, only displaying one is just an option for vessels under 50m. Just make sure that if you do, that the aft one is lower than the forward on i.a.w Rule 30 (a) (ii).

Alternatively, you can mount lights which illuminate the boat.

Rule 30 (c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks."
OK, I could have made my answer longer and more explicit but I was assuming any reader would use a bit of common sense. So no strobes, no red, green or red green combo lights, no flashing blue police lights, no vertical rows of white lights or combinations of white and yellow and/or red and/or green lights, etc, etc, etc, etc.

But one can put a white light or two or three around the stern, cockpit, the lifelines or wherever in a manner that will not look like any kind of navigation or emergency light that will light up the boat and make it more visible from the water IE like working lights mentioned in Colregs. Certainly you can't say that boats under 100 metres cannot display some kind of "working lights" or white lights of some description around the decks as long as a proper, legal anchor light is also displayed.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote